Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gazza77

Mark Aston accuses Featherstone of cheating

41 posts in this topic

It has been common knowledge about Fev with coaches asking if they could control the ruck the same way. There is a big difference in time and a huge advantage as a result. Powells dummy allegedly came out at HT v Leigh in lAst years play offs after the same tactics were employed against them

It has been common knowledge about Fev with coaches asking if they could control the ruck the same way. There is a big difference in time and a huge advantage as a result. Powells dummy allegedly came out at HT v Leigh in lAst years play offs after the same tactics were employed against them

Why should opposition coaches need to ask the ref if they can use the same techniques as Fev do? Isn't that an insinuating that games are not being refereed in an impartial manner? Fev play the game to the limits in respect of controlling the ruck, hence the often relatively high penalty count against them when it's deemed to be going too far. Both teams should get the same treatment however, whoever is reffing the game.

If Fev are breaking the rules of the game, then they should be punished accordingly, which they are when a penalty is given against them. Any player, coach, club official who accuses another team or the ref of cheating however should have the book thrown at them in my opinion, whoever it is.

If Fev have developed a technique, then other clubs should figure out a way to better it. Theyve gone off crying to the referees, now were all getting dragged back.

I find it far more annoying when refs penalise holding on. Usually happens against co-op clubs when they play SL clubs

I find it far more annoying when refs penalise holding on. Usually happens against co-op clubs when they play SL clubs

To be honest I think the holding down rule is the easiest rule to control. It only takes a little common sense to control the holding down rule. You see it. other than other rules like offside which is hard to control without the TJs help.

shock horror someone dares to criticise featherstone..................................................................behead him!!

And wasn't it Powell who stood in front of the TV cameras slagging him off for it?

Yes and rightly so Keith. Have you heard Powell criticise other coaches for the tactics they use? Referees should be left to apply the laws of the game without the influence of media comment from coaches. Harrison, himself, brazenly admitted that his ploy had worked. Needs stopping.

Having watched a couple of NRL games, they play the ball much quicker and it makes for a more open entertaining game. The pace of their game is scary compared to watching SL.

The constant laying on and flopping at the tackle just makes the game slower and less entertaining. It's not like there's a great skill in lying on top of a tackled player.

Oh dear. Mark Aston is a legend in many ways and I've got a lot of time for him, but sometimes I wish he'd just keep his mouth shut. Agitating the RFL and criticising referees, regardless of whether he thinks he's right, isn't smart. Really he should be focused on doing all he can to impress the RFL which by all accounts the Eagles have been doing recently - rather than rubbing them up the wrong way.

He does have a point about teams slowing the game down, but as others have pointed out everyone does it - he'll be telling his players to use the same tricks, I'm sure.

If Fev are breaking the rules of the game, then they should be punished accordingly, which they are when a penalty is given against them. Any player, coach, club official who accuses another team or the ref of cheating however should have the book thrown at them in my opinion, whoever it is.

That's an interesting ethical point. Can you "break" the rules ? Or are there just "outcomes" to your actions ? Is it cheating to obstruct an attacker and concede a penalty instead of a try ? Is it cheating to kick the ball to touch and concede a scrum ?

The laws of most sports, and indeed laws of the land, often have an amount of interpretation involved. Some are clear, for example, that if your foot or part of your body touches the touchline when you have the ball then you have gone out of play. If the official misses that, it's a clear error.

Some are less clear - like holding down / interference for example - and rely on a general interpretation as relayed by the MO department to refs and the refs own judgement at the time. In this case, the law states that you must clear the ruck area immediately. However the interpretation differs depending on which side has won the collision, how many in the tackle, even weather conditions. So the referee is making a judgement every single tackle. And there is no way around this unless you have a fixed time to clear the ruck area (the classic where amateur players shout 1,2,3 etc. as if there was a fixed time) which would spoil the game and penalise the dominant side.

Therefore, you will always get teams pushing the limits and testing the referee, and coaches having their own idea about what is or isn't acceptable. IMO, Aston, Powell and Harrison should shut up and get on with it. As someone said, it smacks of Fergie/Wenger mind games and I'm a bit sick of it.

That's an interesting ethical point. Can you "break" the rules ? Or are there just "outcomes" to your actions ? Is it cheating to obstruct an attacker and concede a penalty instead of a try ? Is it cheating to kick the ball to touch and concede a scrum ?

True, and you could have a whole new debate regarding whether or not such actions are accidental, deliberate, cheating, gamesmanship or any other such description. That is why the game has officials however, to decide whether the laws of the game are being followed and deal with offenders appropriately. If club representatives are unhappy with how the officials are interpreting the laws of the game then they have official channels they can use, and that doesn't involve accusations in the press.

It's a disease of modern professional sport

"England coach Stuart Lancaster is awaiting "clarification" from the International Rugby Board about referee Steve Walsh's display in the 30-3 loss to Wales.

England felt decisions in the scrum and breakdown went against them, and that Walsh's officiating in those areas was at odds with his pre-match briefing.

In particular, Lancaster questioned the build-up to Alex Cuthbert's first try. "There was then a turnover at the breakdown, which we still need clarification on," said Lancaster."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and there you have it in one. the difference between the codes. We criticise the ref, they seek clarification.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and there you have it in one. the difference between the codes. We criticise the ref, they seek clarification.

International RL coaches - mostly the Aussies, but McBanana has been doing it recently, too - often seek "clarification of the rules" ahead of test matches. You can usually set your watch by the Kangaroos coach "seeking clarification" ahead of test series/4 Nations/World Cups over here.

Having watched a couple of NRL games, they play the ball much quicker and it makes for a more open entertaining game. The pace of their game is scary compared to watching SL.

The constant laying on and flopping at the tackle just makes the game slower and less entertaining. It's not like there's a great skill in lying on top of a tackled player.

I dont like lying on either, but a lot of the penalties are for grappling and wrestling. I think a guy hding the ball should have to hold the ball and wish we still had the ball steal rule.

I personally dont much care for extremely fast ptb's as it will be harder for a defending team to get back the ludicrous 10m (where is the skill in running back 10m?). It will also contibute to higher score margins. Id rather have a slower ptb if it means we have a closer game