Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Martyn Sadler

Super League BackChat

52 posts in this topic

Is it available as a podcast?

Is it available as a podcast?

It used to be, not sure now though.

I used to download the podcast to my phone and play it in the car, you dont need to see anything so worked pretty well!

Two attributes of Rod Studd that make his role on the show effective

1) If someone dodges the question or gives a load of waffle he will not accept it and will persue the point. Its a shame journalists don't do the same with politicians.

2) He is always open minded to new ideas and not afraid to think outside the box. Even if many of the ideas are clearly whacky (his best one had to be 'declaring' when you were 50 points in front!) and would never be implemented.

I started off enjoying it, but you can see it heading down the same old tired route. Would be much more interesting if it was members of the press and a current or recently retired player/coach.. Stevo always seems to drag it down to Boot's n All level..

Give hosting duties to Jon Wells, include two members of the RL press and an ex-player/coach..

I used to download the podcast to my phone and play it in the car, you dont need to see anything so worked pretty well!

Exactly what I was hoping for!

It still is available as a podcast, I downloaded it earlier this season anyway

Have to agree about getting rid of Stevo,if it was up to him we wouldn't have any teams north of Watford Gap.

Interesting comments!

With all due respect to Stevo, why do Sky Sports have him on so much?

It is great that yourself, Gareth Walker, Chris Irvine are on but there is really no need for Stevo to get involved.

Depsite that, I enjoy the programme.

Concept is fine,Studd is obviously deliberately controversial - at least in an intelligent way - frankly,Stevo is an illiterate embarassment.

Seriously Martyn,what is the view within the game about Stevo? I fully accept he was a very good player,I appreciate the original reasons he was brought over here but everyone I speak with,now finds him an embarassment and doing the game a great dis service.Rather like a player who is over the hill,surely he should retire gracefully,rather than apparently just hanging on for his pay cheque? How can the game have an 'analyst' who apparently doesn't know the modern rules,has a desperately limited vocabulary and at absolute best,is semi literate.His random and constant shouts of 'forward pass' are ludicrous.

Another good show,

Agree re Stevo, he's probably on due to SKY paying him a fortune and they want their monies worth.

Replace him by a radio journo so that we get different views from both the written and sound media.

Rod Studd is great. Good points he raises and runs the show at a good pace.

Modelled surely on the soccer show "Sunday Supplement" but that is a show by the written media.

Our Rod is far better than the guy who runs the "Supp" show.

I'll be an avid viewer when I get home with a nice clean slate of expectation...

I mean Studd must have toned it down judging by all the positive comments.

Enjoy the programme.

Should be an hour with B n A swapped to 30 mins.

Enjoy the debate/disagreements and Rod Studd is great with some really good ideas and some that are er well just daft!

The B n A has begun to sound like a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Super League party.

Back Chat isn't anything like that, far, far better!

Ted, you should be on along with Alan Rooney, always wondered what you looked like, its a great show should be longer.

I think Back Chat is great, fast becoming my favourite RL show.

For a change we hear people stating their honest opinions and I think that's a result of those on it. I actually think its the ideal show for Stevo as he can rant away and it's good viewing in that format!

Players and coaches would just bring cliches that add no value. Lovedcthe Brough discussion the other week - Stevo asking the same question a lot of fans want asking, 'why doesn't someone ask McNamara what he has against Brough'.

Would like it to be extended to 45 mins as a precious poster said. Also agree Studd can be a bit annoying but he at least forces answers and moves topics on well.

I enjoyed this week's programme. Stevo was kept pretty much under control. Martyn was very calm and articulate, which was helpful, especially when Chris threatened to get all overheated again as he does almost every time he appears on the show!

I like the format of Back Chat but as a few posters have stated,does Stevo need to be on every week.He just tends to shout everyone else down.

Right, within the first few minutes by point can be made.

Question 1 about Huddersfield and their performances and if they can keep it up.

Martyn opens talking about the big test this Friday, mentions how well they played against Hull FC and moves on to "not having the Nathan Brown factor" and stability with Anderson.

It's then passed on to Stevo, who says, "The Nathan Brown thing has obviously affected them over the past two seasons., without a doubt"

Then Studd interrupts him with "It couldn't all be Nathan Brown's fault could it" with a slight head throw of derison.

After one sentence he jumps down Stevo's throat.

Wish the show was an hour long it feels like they're cramming stuff in but its a brilliant show. Stevo is tolerable at times but then other times you just want to shout at him. I really like Rod Studd on the show, his opinions come across as he's trying to wind people up but then he begins to back his points up really well.

May send an email to Sky asking them to make the show 45 minutes or an hour long as there isn't really anything else on at the times the program is shown at, plus I can't imagine it would cost much different to broadcast it just that little bit longer.

Bit of a pointless first half footnote on Roby, I agree that's where the half hour slot let it down.

And while they're talking of playing against parent clubs, Paul Sykes played against Bradford last season while on loan, so whether that was an exception to the rule.

Love the show but could do with the same airtime as its counterports Cricket Writers on TV and Jimmy Hills Sunday Suppliment.

Because the show is condensed into 23-24 minutes instead of reasoned debate you get shouted sioundbites and Mr Sadler your measured tones appeared to be causing consternation in Rodd Studd causing his machine gun delivery to be even more rapid fire than usual. That';s what happens when you try to put the proverbial "quart in a pint pot" and some topics which were crying out for a longer and more sober analysis such as Castleford did not get the considered debate the subject warrants.

Rather Super League Backchat be on for an Hour than a continuation of the banal Boots n' all. that offers us Baz and Tez chasing Rob Burrow in a wendy house surely the nadir of Rugby League broadcasting. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it it might be an idea for LPL or some other enterpreneur to run Super League Backchat live as a live interactive theatre presentation during the off season. Personally I would buy a ticket and venture to the bleak northern wastelands for an evening of Rugby League debate if this was ever put on.

And if you could get the show extended to the full hour you might also get the croissants and orange juice that Steven Brenkley of The Independent always seems to enjoy tucking into during CWOT.

So there we have it extend the programme to an hour SKY and have Angela Powers as the presenter not Rodd Studd.

I have got my coat on already thank you......

An hour of Angela Powers - kill me now...

Agreed. Back Chat for an hour yes. Angela Powers no. One of the dullest, most wooden presenters on TV. I genuinely think if it wasn't the fact she was a woman she would get nowhere near RL on Sky!

Agree an hour would be good

And I think Rod Studd is excellent.

I'm watching yesterday's episode now and I'm really enjoying it with super Bill Arthur and Barrie McDermott; it isn't just a breath of fresh air, it's a hurricane of Febreze.