Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dewsbury Rams

Team Sheets

We are aware that this is a sensitive subject among a small number of you.

We have carried out a review of procedures at other Championship clubs and have identified that it isn’t common practice to hand out team sheets to spectators on match days. Any team sheets produced are made available to visiting directors, members of the press and match day sponsors.

At Dewsbury Rams we have noticed that there seems to be an increased reliance and requests for team sheets from spectators and at the same time we have noticed a downward trend in the number of people buying a match day programme which is making production costs unsustainable in the long term. Match day programmes do contain details of all the visiting squad and players can be identified from their squad numbers (except for players on short term loans or dual registration when this isn’t always possible).

We have therefore decided to stop the general free distribution of team sheets at our games. Team sheets will still be produced but will only be given to people who have bought or who are buying a match day programme for the game. Because team sheets aren’t produced until approximately one hour before the start of the game people may have to return to the programme seller to collect a team sheet later and as long as you produce a programme this will be given to you on trust.

It is important that we increase programme sales and by adding a team sheet to the package it gives even better value for money. We need supporters to realise that we must maximise our commercial sales. The production of a team sheet comes at a very busy time for the few match day staff we now have at the club and they do cost money to produce whether it be in staff time, copying and paper costs or however you look at it and therefore there has to be some return on the cost.

The situation will be reviewed at the end of the season along with a full review of programme sales and costs including the many man hour required to edit and put together these types of productions.

It would help the club if you could support us by purchasing a match day programme at the outlets we have at either side of the ground. Every penny really does count.

John North    45

A sensible and business like approach to the situation in my opinion.

(Waits for the obligatory rebuttle............)

Blind side johnny    2,546

Seems fair enough to me. You always had to buy a programme in the past to know what the team was so this is no different.

Wakefield Ram    291

Absolutely agree and sensible decision.

As every penny does count, unfortunately the programme seller outside the Bailey Bar had run out of half time draw tickets when I went 10 mins before kick off. Don't know when she ran out, but both the gent in front of me and I were unable to give the club £4. Would imagine a few more people might have missed out. Only a tiny point I know but thought worth mentioning.

Rambo    39

The same happened to me with regards to the half time draw. Surely the sellers shouldn't run out of tickets?

I arrived about 15mins before kick off in the south stand. It's not the first time this has happened (all lost income to club).

Rammo23    5

John North your missing the point why would you want to give away a programme for the sake of teamsheet you still have the costs of producing both items so you would have to sell them separately or lose money which at the end of the day defeats the object

grumpyoldram    687

How about buy a teamsheet (for the price of a program) and get a free program ;)

Great idea - if I buy a program I can read that instead of going for a prematch and halftime pint - save me a few quid and be good for my health. Will we be guaranteed a teamsheet or will it just be available with the first fifty or so sold (when they run out) ? Another question - if the team sheets are late arriving with the program seller, and we have to nip back out to get one will the stewards let us back in without any bother ?

Crown Flatter    256

As I regularly buy the programme I am fine with the decision.Whilst the programme gives two lists of players with their squad numbers, it's a bit awkward putting a tick as each name is announced and then having to scour the list to find the player on whom you wish to make a check during the game.

Blind side johnny    2,546

I never know who the players are anyway so it makes little difference to me!

:happy: ^_^

NickD    368

We are aware that this is a sensitive subject among a small number of you.

We have carried out a review of procedures at other Championship clubs and have identified that it isn’t common practice to hand out team sheets to spectators on match days. Any team sheets produced are made available to visiting directors, members of the press and match day sponsors.

At Dewsbury Rams we have noticed that there seems to be an increased reliance and requests for team sheets from spectators and at the same time we have noticed a downward trend in the number of people buying a match day programme which is making production costs unsustainable in the long term. Match day programmes do contain details of all the visiting squad and players can be identified from their squad numbers (except for players on short term loans or dual registration when this isn’t always possible).

We have therefore decided to stop the general free distribution of team sheets at our games. Team sheets will still be produced but will only be given to people who have bought or who are buying a match day programme for the game. Because team sheets aren’t produced until approximately one hour before the start of the game people may have to return to the programme seller to collect a team sheet later and as long as you produce a programme this will be given to you on trust.

It is important that we increase programme sales and by adding a team sheet to the package it gives even better value for money. We need supporters to realise that we must maximise our commercial sales. The production of a team sheet comes at a very busy time for the few match day staff we now have at the club and they do cost money to produce whether it be in staff time, copying and paper costs or however you look at it and therefore there has to be some return on the cost.

The situation will be reviewed at the end of the season along with a full review of programme sales and costs including the many man hour required to edit and put together these types of productions.

It would help the club if you could support us by purchasing a match day programme at the outlets we have at either side of the ground. Every penny really does count.

Brilliant idea.

John North    45

John North your missing the point why would you want to give away a programme for the sake of teamsheet you still have the costs of producing both items so you would have to sell them separately or lose money which at the end of the day defeats the object

I think its you that are missing the point (in particular the IQ point lol)

My understanding was that squad numbers would make teamsheets obsolete as the guy wearing the No 36 shirt would be the guy allocated the No 36 shirt at the start of the season.

Obviously some of you guys attend Discworld League matches where teamsheets are drafted and appear on the supporters laps within 5 seconds of the teams being announced.

Rammo23    5

I know that when a programme is published the team named to play isn't always the team that ends up taking the pitch, as you say the number on the back of the shirt should be that players for the season that was my understanding of re introducing squad numbers, that being the case I see no reason really why there should be a need for the cost of printing a team sheet why not just give these officials a programme.

RhubarbRam    0

It should be posted on the website/forum/twitter before the match as well (its done by other clubs) - if the reason is to save money, this is time and cost efficient, and so much else is communicated this way already.

grumpyoldram    687

What about charging for team sheets.??

Sensible but far too simple apparently. How about giving one free (or even at cost) for every pint bought before the match, then theres no need to mess about bothering the program seller.

grumpyoldram    687

Sensible but far too simple apparently. How about giving one free (or even at cost) for every pint bought before the match, then theres no need to mess about bothering the program seller.

By that I mean them having to put last minute inserts in the program - not suggesting you shouldn't buy one.

If the program was better - Then more people would buy it.

Its unfair to tell someone they cannot know who is playing unless they buy a program, to justify it by saying 'other teams do it' or to use it to coerce people into shelling out for a program is equally as snide.

distantdog    861

I thought your clubs statement was fair and sensible in the current climate. I am not sure what the issue is for those who used to get team sheets. I have never been to another club where they issued teamsheets before the match. I know that's not a reason to remove team sheets but it is an example of what everyone else does. For years I have bought programmes with the expectation of seeing the team/squads in there. With squad numbers this is even easier. If I cannot make the match, I get the team from twitter(even though I do not have an account) on my phone. If I still do not know the players I ask the bloke next to me or listen to the tannoy.

I am amazed that such a sensible, well explained decision generates such emotive language as in the post above, such as coerce and snide!

I thought your clubs statement was fair and sensible in the current climate. I am not sure what the issue is for those who used to get team sheets. I have never been to another club where they issued teamsheets before the match. I know that's not a reason to remove team sheets but it is an example of what everyone else does. For years I have bought programmes with the expectation of seeing the team/squads in there. With squad numbers this is even easier. If I cannot make the match, I get the team from twitter(even though I do not have an account) on my phone. If I still do not know the players I ask the bloke next to me or listen to the tannoy.

I am amazed that such a sensible, well explained decision generates such emotive language as in the post above, such as coerce and snide!

'Coerce and snide' is not emotive language, its descriptive language that forms an opinion - Which is different to yours.

Lets not get carried away.

RogerTRam    26

If the program was better - Then more people would buy it.

Its unfair to tell someone they cannot know who is playing unless they buy a program, to justify it by saying 'other teams do it' or to use it to coerce people into shelling out for a program is equally as snide.

On a positive note Funk if you feel that the program is not up to scratch in some way and you or any other person as any ideas or suggestions which could improve it then lets hear them.

distantdog    861

'Coerce and snide' is not emotive language, its descriptive language that forms an opinion - Which is different to yours.

Lets not get carried away.

Oh completely disagree but that's the beauty of a public forum, one can state opposing opinions.