Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Northern Rail Cup - Week 4

Which game are you most looking forward to?   20 members have voted

1. 1. Which game are you most looking forward to?

• Gateshead Thunder v Gloucestershire All Golds
    • Hemel Stags v North Wales Crusaders
    • Rochdale Hornets v London Skolars
    • South Wales Scorpions v Oldham

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 posts in this topic

I will be at Hemel - weather permitting. Just hope that if it is called off, it is called off early, because I will have to leave home at 8.45am. I hope Crusaders win the game but Hemel full back Mike Forgham scores one of his spectacular length of the field tries!

Should be fine. Plenty of work being done over the last few days .

I was thinking about the different nature of the crowds the other day. I think people in the outposts have often fallen in love with the sport itself while many fans of the traditional clubs are first and foremost blinkered followers of that one particular outfit. There isnt that same kneejerk reaction to decry everything as being rubbish and not as good as back in the good old days. The "gerrem onside ref" one does my head in.Once fine, twice no problem but on and on and on and on - I cant remember which Cumbrian club it was last season - one of the W's - at the Skolars but there was a bloke who hollered that at least 50 times. I felt like going over and stuffing his programme in his mouth

Many years ago there was a guy called Trevor (?) Rabbitt who from memory played at scrum half for Salford.

One afternoon against Oldham (my team) at each scrum he steadfastly refused to go behind his pack of forwards when the ball had been fed into the scrum, as required by the rules.

This led to a frustrated Oldham supporter (not me) for the whole of the game exhorting the referee to "Make that Rabbitt retire".

It was funny at the time.....no ?......you had to be there.

I was thinking about the different nature of the crowds the other day. I think people in the outposts have often fallen in love with the sport itself while many fans of the traditional clubs are first and foremost blinkered followers of that one particular outfit. There isnt that same kneejerk reaction to decry everything as being rubbish and not as good as back in the good old days. The "gerrem onside ref" one does my head in.Once fine, twice no problem but on and on and on and on - I cant remember which Cumbrian club it was last season - one of the W's - at the Skolars but there was a bloke who hollered that at least 50 times. I felt like going over and stuffing his programme in his mouth

A few weeks ago I was sitting behind the posts for the wire- saints game and the guy next to me produced a continual litany of forward, get them onside and holding down. I was particularly impressed with his keen observational skils when Saints were camped near the Warrington line at the far end of the ground and he was able to deduce that the ball had been passed forward!

Maybe new supporters are not use to the standards dropping. These days there appears to be a lot more forward passes going on & knock ons being ignored.

People say its the mementom rule & allowing a more free flowing game, but to me it's allowing the basic skill level to drop, with pl ayers not being able to hold the ball or pass it backwards, it's allowing for sloppiness.

But yes there is still of a lot of ranting of supporters calling for non existent forward pass or offside.

Tomorrows game against North Wales Crusaders has been cancelled due to heavy snow and more predicted overnight.

thanks saintslass nice comments about thunder :D i hope we beat gloucester all golds today, were improving each game 34-16 defeat at oldham last time out and we played really well 2nd half, we will surprise a few this season roll on 1st league game for us away at hemel 14th april :D cmon thunder! cmon thunder!!

ThunderArmy, Did the club recieve the programmes for the North Wales game from the printers? They didn't have any at the game and I was told they would get them on the Monday, and to e-mail the club if I wanted one. I did, but I didn't get a reply!

Gloucester AG giving Gateshead a run for their money 16-10 with 15 minutes to go.

Not a lot in it between Oldham & South Wales either 12-12. Now roughyeds pulling clear.

Is that right All Gold 1st ever win 18-16!!

Wow. Great result for the All Golds. Will give them heart. Not sure what the result says about Gateshead. Crushing result.

S Wales 12-24 Oldham. I think that's the full-time score.

London Skolars progress to next round. North Wales will join them provided they don't lose their rearranged match at Hemel by more than 63 points.

Wow. Great result for the All Golds. Will give them heart. Not sure what the result says about Gateshead. Crushing result.

They couldn't convert their tries.

But I think they should be looking at a new coach really, one that will give their team some confidence as these continual losses cannot be good for morale.

I feel really sorry for Gateshead. They have some fantastic supporters. I think Gateshead are limited to the choice of coach they can have due to the logistics and finances available Saintslass. I hear Hemel .v. Crusaders may be played this Tuesday. If anybody can confirm this please post on here asap. I will try to get the night off work and drive down.

I hear Hemel .v. Crusaders may be played this Tuesday. If anybody can confirm this please post on here asap. I will try to get the night off work and drive down.

Really? There'd be one hell of a job on to make the pitch playable; had a quick look this morning and it doesn't look like there'll be any rugby played there this week.

That said, I sincerely hope I'm wrong - wouldn't say no to popping up there Tuesday night!

I feel really sorry for Gateshead.. I think Gateshead are limited to the choice of coach they can have due to the logistics and finances available Saintslass.

and all golds dont have that same problem? gateshead have been around a hell of a lot longer than all golds and gateshead still got beat.

I was answering Saintslass who said she thinks Gateshead should change the coach. Maybe you haven't read the post I was replying to. I'm pleased for the Gloucester team but I can't gloat about it. I don't know any Gloucester fans yet as I have not seen them play yet, but I have made some good friends who watch Gateshead everywhere. Its the fans I feel sorry for.

I was answering Saintslass who said she thinks Gateshead should change the coach. Maybe you haven't read the post I was replying to. I'm pleased for the Gloucester team but I can't gloat about it. I don't know any Gloucester fans yet as I have not seen them play yet, but I have made some good friends who watch Gateshead everywhere. Its the fans I feel sorry for.

Same here. There is a real loyal bunch of Thunder fans, and the sickener for them this time is that they lost only thanks to a poor kicker. Had they converted the tries they had scored - three before halftime - they would have won. It is such a shame that they lost. While it was great that the All Golds got their first professional win, I wish it had been at the expense of any of the other clubs, just not Thunder.

Great for the all golds, im pleased for them & hope thunder can produce the next generation of players locally but who are better than the current crop.

i couldnt make game yesterday as i was working, though we were 12-0 up at half time 3 trys we missed 3 conversions though, 4trys to all golds 3 trys though we never converted any of them thats gutting really gutting if we'd just kicked 2 of the 4 we would of won game and we had a try disaloud we are improving though people wont believe that until we win a game, it was rail cup and im hoping we switched off 2nd half and that wont happen in the league 1st league game at hemel for us 14th april see how we go, will always support the thunder love my club, well done all golds. CMON THUNDER! CMON THUNDER!!

im hoping we switched off 2nd half and that wont happen in the league 1st league game at hemel for us 14th april see how we go

A second half switch-off on April 14th would be most welcome.