Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pottsy

Dr Koukash on FiveLive

412 posts in this topic

Take my club - Moran may have decided that he would have liked the ability to sign James Graham when he went to the NRL. Maybe pick up Eastmond too. Joel Tomkins would have been nice. The salary cap pretty much stops this happening. That's what's in it for them.

The top clubs could put some distance between them and the next group. We would see who is serious about investing in players - transfer fees would be the norm again.

I agree they don't want it, and I think it is because we have attracted a certain kind of investor, people who see the benefits of sensible sustained businesses in SL, that has to be a positive.

Having said that though Dave, It was Warrington's own Mr. Gatcliffe who came out and agreed with Dr. Koukash that the salary cap should be raised. Although, unlike Dr. Koukash, he probably appreciates the reasons why it won't.

how will koukash get more bums on seats to actually make the club self sufficient??

Apparently endlessly spouting on about how rubbish Super League is and how unfair the set-up is to Salford will drive the thousands to the gate.

when steve o'connor made his projections for super league and the club to be almost self financing his projection was a 7000 average gate to make us competetive with the top clubs, our lowest home gate this season was against hull fc which was 5500.but we are certainly short of the magic figure. koukash would be well advised to talk to simon moran and learn how to make a club financially sound and competetive on the pitch from humble beginnings.

They didn't do that for the Crusaders

Are we excluding the 700k lent to Crusaders secured against the Race Course ground?

But our competition won't be suddenly streets better because a dozen players spread around the league choose not to go union or NRL.

Let's assume the current crop of English players in the NRL went there/are staying there because the money is better, just for the sake of this debate. Are you saying our game would not be better for having the Burgess brothers, James Graham and Widdop playing in it?

Are we excluding the 700k lent to Crusaders secured against the Race Course ground?

That was a loan against a sale. The RFL still own the lease on Odsal.

Apparently endlessly spouting on about how rubbish Super League is and how unfair the set-up is to Salford will drive the thousands to the gate.

Koukash hasn't spouted about Super League being rubbish. Quite the opposite actually. He has stated quite clearly his admiration for rugby league, and has used specific examples of how much he enjoys watching the sport.

As opposed to being propped up by performance enhancing drugs!

You'll be dissappointed to know it's now apparently only the Cronulla 31 in the frame.

Doesn't union have a salary cap that no one takes any notice of?

Having said that though Dave, It was Warrington's own Mr. Gatcliffe who came out and agreed with Dr. Koukash that the salary cap should be raised. Although, unlike Dr. Koukash, he probably appreciates the reasons why it won't.

There is quite a difference between wanting it raising and scrapping. There seems to be a groundswell of support for crazy spending just so we can keep a few players. The cap has remained static for quite a few years now, a debate around a sustainable increase should always be on the table, I'd be very nervous about scrapping it.

When Wigan were struggling, I bet nobody would have supported Whelan coming out with some of the stuff Koukash is now.

koukash would be well advised to talk to simon moran and learn how to make a club financially sound and competetive on the pitch from humble beginnings.

Don't go down this route! We had this debate and there were some strong opinions that Koukash can learn nothing from other clubs as he is a succesful businessman in his own right.

That was a loan against a sale. The RFL still own the lease on Odsal.

But they have also done similar for other clubs, from memory Keighley and Rochdale. They will only do things which make financial sense for them and the club involved.

You still haven;t highlighted what rule they broke/bent when they bought the lease to Odsal.

It's a completely different thing to changing competition rules.

Any bets that Koukash's next suggestion is an increased overseas quota for Salford as he can't get the requisite quality of players over here ?

In my humble opinion you should only raise the salary cap when all the clubs are debt free and making a profit ever year. It could be a long time happening but it can be done.

I knew he was talking of a higher salary cap, but I didn't realise that he wanted a higher salary cap just for Salford.

Will he want five points every time Salford score a try?

I think you could make a good case for having some salary cap exemptions for certain clubs. London could argue that they need a London weighting, Catalans need to take into account the variation in exchange rate. These are valid and sensible reasons why you might exempt those clubs from the salary cap in some way.

The fact he wants to ###### his money down the drain isn't a good reason IMO.

I think you could make a good case for having some salary cap exemptions for certain clubs. London could argue that they need a London weighting, Catalans need to take into account the variation in exchange rate. These are valid and sensible reasons why you might exempt those clubs from the salary cap in some way.

In the bit about the ETS Dispensation in the rules, it mentions London weighting
Catalan Dragons develop and retain the majority of elite French talent and therefore are to receive the full Cap allowance of £100,000 whether or not any individual players meet the requirements of 5.13.1 to 5.13.4 above.

In recognition of the higher living costs for London Broncos players due to their location a 10% London cost of living weighting allowance is applied to the Club’s maximum aggregate First Tier Liability (£1.65m in 2013) is available in addition to the Elite Representative Squad dispensation, subject to the combined value of both allowances being capped at the 10% weighting allowance.

Is the salary cap actually serving a purpose..???

Clubs have gone bust anyway and other clubs are way off spending it anyway...

Whilst the rest wish they could spend more and have the facilities to do so..

The people that suffer are players and fans (as well as the standard of play)..some for no reason..i am sure the Wigan club and fans would be quite happy to keep Mr Tomkins in SL but the cap will not allow it.

With the current salary cap we will ONLY lose more players than we gain and will struggle to attract moneyed people to join in...Dr Koukash could easily be the last outside investor if he ends up saying it is a waste of time getting into SL..

Clubs have gone bust anyway and other clubs are way off spending it anyway...

Maybe we should reduce it

Any bets that Koukash's next suggestion is an increased overseas quota for Salford as he can't get the requisite quality of players over here ?

I said that last week, am I on ignore or summat?! :ph34r:

I'd actually love for him to explain his reasoning for wanting a temporary higher cap, whether it is to pay off the deadwood - although I doubt even he would say as much - or if it's to recruit a few big names*, which they've tried already. But first, I want him to actually spend up to the current cap first, try it on for size see how it fits for a year or two before he wants a salary sombrero all to himself.

*edit: or to re-coup some of those lost players...

I'd rather the NRL paid our players what they are worth and got them tested in an altogether different environment, rather than artificially pay Brits more to stay at home.

So it's ok for union/ NRL to "artificially" pay our lads to leave but it's not ok for us to "artificially" pay them more to stay.

No wonder we're struggling!

There are various exemptions and reductions in the salary cap for teams that develop players

Leeds for example:

Long Service Provision - £50,000

Club Trained Allowance - £50,000

Elite Representative Squad Dispensation Allowance - £90,000:

Carl Ablett - £10,000

Rob Burrow - £10,000

Ryan Hall - £10,000

Zak Hardaker - £10,000

Jamie Jones-Buchanan - £10,000

Danny McGuire - £10,000

Kevin Sinfield - £10,000

Kallum Watkins - £10,000

Chris Clarkson - £5,000

Ben Jones-Bishop - £5,000

So a salary cap of £1.84m for Leeds as opposed to £1.65m

Salford will have received an extra £10,000 on the cap last year for Jodie Broughton and Matty Smith being in the Knights squad