Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future is League

Expanded WCC to get the go ahead it appears

36 posts in this topic

How many people on here remember the last time we "Expanded" the WCC to include the entire league?

Both finalists were Australian, and if I remember correctly (& I'm sure to be corrected) all the semi-finalists were too, what make anyone think we have a strong enough League to prevent it happening again?

That article doesn't actually confirm that this has got the go ahead, and when asked on Boots n All last night, Gary Hetherington merely said that the Aussies clubs were now more aware of what the plan was.

How many people on here remember the last time we "Expanded" the WCC to include the entire league?

Both finalists were Australian, and if I remember correctly (& I'm sure to be corrected) all the semi-finalists were too, what make anyone think we have a strong enough League to prevent it happening again?

I assume this won't happen again because the proposal is not to include all of the teams.

Why do people argue against something using an extreme?

If you'd read the proposal, you'd see that that isn't on the cards and never will be.

People like arguing, Wellsy.

Personally, I'd still like us to develop the 'Champions League' format that McManus is keen on, but I suspect the Hetherington plan is a more likely outcome.

No they don't.

Just to be clear, argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

its a bleeding ridiculous idea....it does'nt even "expand" the WCC....

3v3 & 2v2 games have nothing to do with the 1v1 WCC game....

so confident that format will work it'll only be used when the "WCC" is held in the uk every other year,in australia it'll be a single WCC game....its a effing shambles...why flip flop between formats???? it devalues a already worthless competition...

a proper expanded WCC should be a 4team 1v2 & 2v1 semi finals then a WCC final...rotated annually...

not rocket science...

as i understand it leeds & wigan have wrangled it so they play in the "expanded" WCC whether they are champions or not......

as i understand it leeds & wigan have wrangled it so they play in the "expanded" WCC whether they are champions or not......

if we have a situation where we have three teams involved that either didnt finish top 3, or make the gf or win the challenge cup thwn thats me done with this game.

It will have to be a top 3 series if they go down this route.

If leeds or wigan finish 6th say, and make no finals there can be.no justification for them being part of it.

As I said earlier, McManus's vision of a champions league format could be a huge gamechanger for rugby league.

I'm not so keen on Gary Hetherington's idea though.

As I said earlier, McManus's vision of a champions league format could be a huge gamechanger for rugby league.

I'm not so keen on Gary Hetherington's idea though.

I'd like to think that if the three match 'World Series' proved to be competitive and attractive to audiences on both sides of the world then it would be much easier to progress this on to a top 4 from each comp tournament.

I'd like to think that if the three match 'World Series' proved to be competitive and attractive to audiences on both sides of the world then it would be much easier to progress this on to a top 4 from each comp tournament.

Absolutely. If this is intended to be a bridgehead in east abolishing a more meaningful competition then I'm all for it.

but a NRL runner up v SL champions & NRL champions v SL runner up..then a final......instantly makes it a more meaningful comp...

fannying about having a "world series" one year... then a single game WCC the next....does absolutely nothing to bridge the gap between the WCC we're used to and a expanded version..

Gary Hetherington should not be allowed anywhere near the management of this game.

Why? or is it just the Leeds thing?

Leeds have just announced a turnover of £10.7m and a profit of close to £0.7m.That suggests he knows how to keep a club solvent and maybe,just maybe do the same for others.

but a NRL runner up v SL champions & NRL champions v SL runner up..then a final......instantly makes it a more meaningful comp...

fannying about having a "world series" one year... then a single game WCC the next....does absolutely nothing to bridge the gap between the WCC we're used to and a expanded version..

I agree. I think what they don't want though is an all Aussie final, which is a risk. The World Series way guarantees cross-competition games, and if that proves to be a success and the SL clubs are not whipping boys then I think the argument that it could be a meaningful comp would be much easier to state.

I'd love to see a time when we have a WCC consisting of:

Melbourne Storm

South Sydney

New Zealand Warriors

Brisbane Broncos

Warrington Wolves (for selfish reasons :) )

Catalan Dragons

Leeds Rhinos

Wigan Warriors (I'd happily see these replaced by a successful London team :D )

That would have a genuine world feel about it - it needs to be the aim.

he's very self-serving

And every other SL CEO only has the interests of the game at heart. :rolleyes: .FFS.

I agree. I think what they don't want though is an all Aussie final, which is a risk. The World Series way guarantees cross-competition games, and if that proves to be a success and the SL clubs are not whipping boys then I think the argument that it could be a meaningful comp would be much easier to state.

I'd love to see a time when we have a WCC consisting of:

Melbourne Storm

South Sydney

New Zealand Warriors

Brisbane Broncos

Warrington Wolves (for selfish reasons :) )

Catalan Dragons

Leeds Rhinos

Wigan Warriors (I'd happily see these replaced by a successful London team :D )

That would have a genuine world feel about it - it needs to be the aim.

This.

And every other SL CEO only has the interests of the game at heart. :rolleyes: .FFS.

I think you are right. If Hetherington was boss of the RFL then he would move to serving the interests of the RFL. People always sturggled to get this with Maurice Lyndsay and would never trust him due to his association with Wigan.