Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy_merged

Do Warrington represent Cheshire in Rugby League?

30 posts in this topic

Folks talk alot about Manchester being untapped and significant but what about Cheshire? Warrington if i'm correct is largest town im Cheshire and Cheshire is seen as being the stockbrokers belt of the north. Maybe the potential success of the sport in Cheshire can contribute to changing the image of the game.

Have Cheshire folk embraced RL and Warrington as their team?

No

They are a part of Cheshire are they not?

In the sense that Twickhenham is a part of London not Middlesex.

They are a part of Cheshire are they not?

They are not part of the Cheshire set.

Sale have that.

Had a quick glance through Wikipedia and it indicates that Warrington is the largest town in Cheshire.

Its a snobby bunch who must be seen at certain places and certain events, they are people born with nothing, in general, and are out to impress by being something they are not.

If you play for MU or appear on Corrie you fall into th Cheshire set,

What's the Cheshire Set?

Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia....ngle_(Cheshire)

Whereas this will tell you more about Warrington: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Warrington

Those know-nothings in London back in the 1970s had no idea how to draw county boundaries in the north. They stuck Warrington in Cheshire because it (wisely) did not want to be part of Merseyside when it's right beside the Mersey and so should have been in Merseyside (a county which no longer exists except in the mind of certain local politicians and the BBC) but in fact was, like its near neighbours St Helens, Widnes and Wigan, historically in Lancashire and so should have stayed there (as should St Helens, Widnes and Wigan).

What's the Cheshire Set?

Regards

Ignorant southerner

Much of Cheshire is commuter belt for Manchester (like North Yorkshire is for Leeds). It's a rich part of the north and has little in common with the old industrial north. Think footballer's wives.

Is this the start of a campain to get warrington to change its name to Cheshire?

If it is i hope you have more luck than those that want salford to change there name to manchester

This is only ceremonially speaking of course; Warrington is a local authority in its own right.

Warrington is not in Cheshire any more.

I work in Winsford, Cheshire about a half hour from Warrington. They have next to no knowledge of RL there in my experience.

Is this the start of a campain to get warrington to change its name to Cheshire?

If it is i hope you have more luck than those that want salford to change there name to manchester

Maybe Warrington should change their name to Warrington Cheshire Cats. ;)

I work in Winsford, Cheshire about a half hour from Warrington. They have next to no knowledge of RL there in my experience.

Scouse over spill

I was born in Crewe, only moving to Warrington when I was 30, and it's exactly the same. In fact, anywhere south of Warrington is in my experience blissfully unaware of RL. Amateur teams have popped around the county from time to time in Crewe, Northwich and Macclesfield, but only the team in Chester appears to have lasted.

When did it move? Which county is it in now?

Thats what I said. Like Derby isnt in Derbyshire and Nottingham isnt in Nottinghamshire.

The 1974 act only changed some towns for administative purposes.

Geographically Warrington and Barrow in Furness are still part of the Lancashire County Palatine.

The act is specific in that.

What's the Cheshire Set?

Regards

Ignorant southerner

The Cheshire Set are a bunch of ex-scouse ex-manc former criminals how have made loads of money and now want to pretend they live I the south east, but need to stay close to their legit sources of income.

Geographically Warrington and Barrow in Furness are still part of the Lancashire County Palatine.

Correct.

This is only ceremonially speaking of course; Warrington is a local authority in its own right.

The County Borough of Warrington existed from 1900-1974.

The Cheshire Set are a bunch of ex-scouse ex-manc former criminals how have made loads of money and now want to pretend they live I the south east, but need to stay close to their legit sources of income.

County Palatine was a district on the periphery of the kingdom, at a time when the district was at risk from disloyal armed insurgents who could retreat beyond the borders and re-enter. For the English sovereign in Norman times this applied to northern England, Wales and Ireland. Wiki.

Sounds about right!

the traditional boundary between gods county and cheshire is the river mersey, halfway across the widnes/runcorn bridge is the marker for the actual boundary. and no widnes isn't in cheshire either the same as sthelens isn't in bloody mersyside...............