Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

Make-do-and-mend: is it a thing of the past?

53 posts in this topic

Back in the early 20th century, Winston Churchill spoke of tackling poverty, Today, politicians, church leaders and charities still highlight the need to tackle poverty. You can listen to debates and arguments on and on, but is it really as serious as it's said? Do you know anyone people living in poverty? I know people who are struggling but do get by.

Speaking of the fifties/sixties, did anyone play matchbox rugby? Such a simple game but endless hours of enjoyment.

Child poverty is classified by the government as being in a household where the income is less than 60% of average wages. By that simple means of analysis, it could never be eliminated, unless everyone has exactly the same income. -_-

Back in the early 20th century, Winston Churchill spoke of tackling poverty, Today, politicians, church leaders and charities still highlight the need to tackle poverty. You can listen to debates and arguments on and on, but is it really as serious as it's said? Do you know anyone people living in poverty? I know people who are struggling but do get by.

Speaking of the fifties/sixties, did anyone play matchbox rugby? Such a simple game but endless hours of enjoyment.

Yes, people still live in poverty, particularly those who have worked in low paid jobs and then experience illness, physical, or mental. Many children still live in poverty as their parents are in the low wage economy, are made redundant etc. There are also those who have parents who are ill, or who have acquired a disability, and those who have parents with alcohol and drug problems, who will experience poverty. Some of those are the same old problems of course.

As we all know though, it is not an absolute concept and our idea of what constitutes material poverty changes with time.

Yes, I played lots of matchbox rugby when I was a kid, as we were lucky enough to have a dining table and a matchbox of course. Great fun. We also played indoor rugby with cushions and broke a few windows with our heads, arms etc doing so.

Yes, people still live in poverty, particularly those who have worked in low paid jobs and then experience illness, physical, or mental. Many children still live in poverty as their parents are in the low wage economy, are made redundant etc. There are also those who have parents who are ill, or who have acquired a disability, and those who have parents with alcohol and drug problems, who will experience poverty. Some of those are the same old problems of course.

As we all know though, it is not an absolute concept and our idea of what constitutes material poverty changes with time.

Yes, I played lots of matchbox rugby when I was a kid, as we were lucky enough to have a dining table and a matchbox of course. Great fun. We also played indoor rugby with cushions and broke a few windows with our heads, arms etc doing so.

I needed to be very quiet when playing indoors lest I disturbed my grandad who quite often snoozed off.