Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Who is the best referee in Super League?

44 posts in this topic

League Express Poll: Who is the best referee in Super League?

Thierry Alibert

Phil Bentham

James Child

Steve Ganson

Robert Hicks

Tim Roby

Richard Silverwood

Ben Thaler

Vote online at www.totalrl.com

rlle_250313_200.jpg

League Express, Mon 25 March: In shops now (weather permitting! ) or beat the snow and get it online.

At the moment there isn't a good one and on principle I wouldn't endorse any of them by giving them a vote.

Here's the positive bit, I think the referees have been very poorly lead by Stuart Cummins and have adopted a position where they clearly see themselves as equals to the players, which they are not. Why is that positive, because Cummins stepping down affords us the opportunity to change the ethos within the referees and rescue some of the potential within a number of our current referees while also preventing the next generation of young refs from being ruined. Unfortunately I think a number of the current refs are too far gone and set in their ways to to change and I would be looking for ways to move them on as soon as possible.

I'm not undervaluing the importance of referees in any way but they are not the third team on the pitch. They don't need their own entrance music or a snazzy kit design, they should be the first people out on the field and not have the teams waiting for them to make their entrance to the field of play.

In any sport the quality of a referee is often best judged by how little he is noticed, the best games are those in which the officials let the game flow as uninterrupted as possible.

We currently have referees who beleive they know the rule book word for word, letter for letter even full stop for full stop, the problem here is that they seem to want to demonstrate their knowledge and ruin the game whilst doing so.

I look forward to a different mindset under new leadership.

they clearly see themselves as equals to the players, which they are not.

Agreed: the ref is the most important person on the field.

I wouldn't like to pick a favourite ref: they're all human and capable of having a good day or a bad day. At a push, I probably enjoy the sort of game that Ganson encourages, at a decent pace and usually not too many penalties. However, even he is capable of being infuriating.

I wouldn't like to pick a favourite ref: they're all human and capable of having a good day or a bad day. At a push, I probably enjoy the sort of game that Ganson encourages, at a decent pace and usually not too many penalties. However, even he is capable of being infuriating.

Agree with all that - and about Ganson.

Some daft comments.....hopefully in jest though......when we were kids our coach would always tell us to thank a ref and shake his hand after the match as without him, there'd have been no game

And I'd prob pick Ganson or Bentham

Agree with that. I think them 2 are the best at this moment in time. I probably favour ganson more though because he lets the game flow more and encourages a fast paced game.

No jesting from me, yes I have refereed games and no I am not a ref hater.

I beleive that Cummins has set a terrible lead and has taken the referees down the wrong route. To a large extent I don't blame the actual referees as they've had to work under the regime set by their boss.

Wow,

I ask the ref haters, if they have ever given it a go for themselves!

This is such a cop-out response.

And not because I give the officials unnecessary grief, but because by that logic I can't criticise anything I'm not.

Listen here everybody, nobody criticise a player or coach, not until you've been a full time professional player or coach of the national team.

And I voted Thaler too.

Back on topic, I vote thaler, I like the relationship he gets with players and his common sense approach to the rules.

I also like ganson, he leads the players in a more authoritarian way. The best Referees find a style to lead that suits them.

Maybe my comment was a bit copout, but it was annoying that a simple 'who is the best referee' thread quickly turned into a ref bash thread.

Maybe my comment was a bit copout, but it was annoying that a simple 'who is the best referee' thread quickly turned into a ref bash thread.

True, and I think they get unnecessary grief at all levels, and would love to see more people take up officiating.

Anyway, this is all relative, like Jessie from the Fast Show says "this week, I will be mostly disliking Richard Silverwood" cos we lost! :D

Spot on. I've never understood the anti-Ganson thing, although tbh you could probably put any ref name in there as they all get a fair bit of stick.

Back on topic, I vote thaler, I like the relationship he gets with players and his common sense approach to the rules.

I also like ganson, he leads the players in a more authoritarian way. The best Referees find a style to lead that suits them.

I didn’t just mindlessly bash the referees; in fact my criticism was largely aimed at the Referees controller rather than the refs themselves.

Also I offered my position on the vote itself and rather than just opt out of voting I stated my reasons and hopefully stimulated some intelligent debate.

Most of the time I don't mind Ganson but he does often suffer from a common referees affliction, that of being angry with the players for no apparent reason.

It's an affliction that isn't restricted to referees of Rugby League

I didn’t just mindlessly bash the referees; in fact my criticism was largely aimed at the Referees controller rather than the refs themselves.

Also I offered my position on the vote itself and rather than just opt out of voting I stated my reasons and hopefully stimulated some intelligent debate.

Not necessarily aimed at you mate, I disagree with some things you said,but at least it was constructive.