Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Who is the best referee in Super League?

44 posts in this topic

Some daft comments.....hopefully in jest though......when we were kids our coach would always tell us to thank a ref and shake his hand after the match as without him, there'd have been no game

I too was always told to thank the ref,shake his hand and call him sir during a game,I now encourage my kids to do the same.

I too was always told to thank the ref,shake his hand and call him sir during a game,I now encourage my kids to do the same.

While shouting all kinds of obscenities from the sideline. :P

Agreed: the ref is the most important person on the field.

I wouldn't like to pick a favourite ref: they're all human and capable of having a good day or a bad day. At a push, I probably enjoy the sort of game that Ganson encourages, at a decent pace and usually not too many penalties. However, even he is capable of being infuriating.

Id agree with that, I like the Ganson that lets most things go, which he often does in big games.

While shouting all kinds of obscenities from the sideline. :P

nope,never get at the ref,as has been stated without them their is no game.A poll for your favourite ref does seem a bit odd though.

nope,never get at the ref,as has been stated without them their is no game.A poll for your favourite ref does seem a bit odd though.

Better than a pole for your least favourite.

steve ganson by the length of the m62.......worst has to be childs.

I think all refs suffer from the ineffectual support of their touch judges. The linesmen miss so many offsides and forward passes that it's hard to believe that they aren't instructed to turn a blind eye and leave the decision to the ref.

At the moment there isn't a good one and on principle I wouldn't endorse any of them by giving them a vote.

Here's the posittive bit, I think the referees have been very poorly lead by Stuart Cummins and have adopted a position where they clearly see themselves as equals to the players, which they are not. Why is that positive, because Cummins stepping down affords us the opportunity to change the ethos within the referees and rescue some of the potential within a number of our current referees while also preventing the next generation of young refs from being ruined. Unfortunately I think a number of the current refs are too far gone and set in their ways to to change and I would be looking for ways to move them on as soon as possible.

I'm not undervaluing the importance of referees in any way but they are not the third team on the pitch. They don't need their own entrance music or a snazzy kit design, they should be the first people out on the field and not have the teams waiting for them to make their entrance to the field of play.

In any sport the quality of a referee is often best judged by how little he is noticed, the best games are those in which the officials let the game flow as uninterrupted as possible.

We currently have referees who beleive they know the rule book word for word, letter for letter even full stop for full stop, the problem here is that they seem to want to demonstrate their knowledge and ruin the game whilst doing so.

I look forward to a different mindset under new leadership.

Agree with all of this, not a ref bashing session and a proper view of the situation.

Cummins gave refs an attitude that was detrimental to the sport, he made them immune from their mistakes and their mistakes became plentiful, but no one could ask why.

As for 'give it a go yourself', ill suggest next time anybody has a go at George Osborne... same principle isnt it?

Best referee in that selection is probably Ben Thaler.

Agree with all of this, not a ref bashing session and a proper view of the situation.

Cummins gave refs an attitude that was detrimental to the sport, he made them immune from their mistakes and their mistakes became plentiful, but no one could ask why.

As for 'give it a go yourself', ill suggest next time anybody has a go at George Osborne... same principle isnt it?

Best referee in that selection is probably Ben Thaler.

Is it Cummins that has been responsible or the decision to make referees full time thus eliminating the chances of refs from the championship being promoted to the super league panel on a regular basis which has had a knock on effect on championship standards also

Ganson by a distance.

Hicks is awful, Child not much better and Roby was far better last Friday at Wigan than I've seen him previously.

I quite like Bentham, he explains his decisions well and isn't afraid to admit when he's got it wrong. Roby is improvng massively, James Child is getting better but a lot of room for improvement. Silverwood used to be the best but I think Ganson and Thaler are doing better now. Ganson can let his ego Ref the game at times though, but 9/10 he's very good. I do think Thaler is the best though.

Ganson.

One of my least favourite things about RL is how some fans at games clearly don't know / understand rules, and consequently abuse refs for making correct calls. Numerous examples this year already of people not keeping up to date with the free play / advantage, dead ball and 20m restart rules. Having tried refereeing I can vouch that its a tough job... however that doesn't stop me criticising their blunders ;-)

My issue is, I think the last thing Ganson needs is to read about how brilliant we all think he is. He might be the best referee to the majority, but he sure as heck thinks he is. Good, bad or indifferent, we notice him during a game.

one incident this season which would have been handled much much better by ganson than any other referee was the hock sending off, ganson has a great rapport with the players and i am sure he would have diffused the situation with his unique style.

last season was a great example of his style when he told morley and mcillorum to stop kissing each other and get on with the game when they were having a set too on the pitch.

Thierry Alibert and Phil Bentham are the only ones who don't ref their games like they are frustrated players.