Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hindle xiii

28/03/13 - London Broncos v Catalan Dragons - KO 8pm

Who will win?   12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• London Broncos
    • Catalan Dragons
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

111 posts in this topic

What a pain. We were all set to go to our first Broncos game tomorrow, but I think this may be difficult to get to. If we do go, will they still charge the full £20 admission fee each?

I did wonder whether it was anything to do with protecting the pitch for their landlords' use but see Quins don't have a home match now until April 13th.

There is some kind of Cup game on the 6th or 7th. The Bulls game has been moved to Friday night. Which was nice.

A new low?

Quite right. Its a total farce.

If the pitch is not playable or expected to be playable I can understsand the Landlords calling it as such.

Cant understand why it wasnt postponed and a new date sought later in the year when we are out of the cup.

Its not ideal I appreciate what with any Cats supporters having flights booked but wonder if the roles were

reversed and the Gilbert Brutus and Aimee Giral stadia were unavailable if Cats would have sanctioned the fixture

to be played at say Albi or Pia.

Also of course can we expect the same friday week when The Bulls are due to visit if The Quins are looking to protect

the venue two days before there HC Cup match v Munster.

So yes I believe it is a new low, until the next one that is.

Its not ideal I appreciate what with any Cats supporters having flights booked but wonder if the roles were

reversed and the Gilbert Brutus and Aimee Giral stadia were unavailable if Cats would have sanctioned the fixture

to be played at say Albi or Pia.

The roles were reversed against Hull in round 2 last season, after Water(pitch)gate.

you could probably stage the game on the in-goal areas!

played there for Kingston Warriors vs West London when they helped us out at the last minute

In goal areas are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

I don't understand why they simply didn't postpone the game and then play it later in the year. Unless the club's expecting a nice cup run, of course.

Playing at a venue like this does nothing for the club or the game. In fact, it looks a bit pathetic.

I don't understand why they simply didn't postpone the game and then play it later in the year. Unless the club's expecting a nice cup run, of course.

Playing at a venue like this does nothing for the club or the game. In fact, it looks a bit pathetic.

I'd guess because programmes have been printed, match day costs paid etc etc ... and they don't want to have to do all that again.

Just to be clear, to whom? Those who are not rugby league fans will not notice or care. But even if the game could have been played on a perfect pitch at the Stoop it would still have been dismissed as pathetic by RL ones as it would have almost certainly seen the lowest attendance of the season. If anything playing at Esher gives an excuse for the attendance, which will presumably now be a three-figure gate.

And what of those Catalans fans who had booked a trip to the UK to watch the match? If the Catalans knew several days in advance of a match that the Gilbert Brutus pitch was unplayable then British fans would be protesting to them and the RFL if the game was simply postponed until later in the year rather than them finding an alternative venue.

As Inverdale is a director of both Esher and Rhino Rugby it ought to draw a record crowd to see his balls being kicked about.

I'd guess because programmes have been printed, match day costs paid etc etc ... and they don't want to have to do all that again.

I'd imagine most of Catalans travel costs will be non-refundable and I'd imaigne sizeable when compared to the cost of your average Super League away day!

As Inverdale is a director of both Esher and Rhino Rugby it ought to draw a record crowd to see his balls being kicked about.

Undoubtably the best post ever made on this forum. Thanks for making my day.

There is some kind of Cup game on the 6th or 7th. The Bulls game has been moved to Friday night. Which was nice.

That some kind of Cup game is the Heineken Cup quarter final, which is being played at Twickenham stadium. I believe the Bulls game was switched as the local police weren't keen on having to deal with two matches on the same afternoon at venues just around the corner.

Obviously no-one at the Met has looked to see what the Bronco's home crowds have been this season as I'm sure another 1900 people in the vicinity wouldn't be a problem in the context of the 80,000 likely to watch Quins play Munster.

That some kind of Cup game is the Heineken Cup quarter final, which is being played at Twickenham stadium. I believe the Bulls game was switched as the local police weren't keen on having to deal with two matches on the same afternoon at venues just around the corner.

Obviously no-one at the Met has looked to see what the Bronco's home crowds have been this season as I'm sure another 1900 people in the vicinity wouldn't be a problem in the context of the 80,000 likely to watch Quins play Munster.

Ahh ok. Cheers.

Still. It's got us talking about that game, apparently that's a good thing.

As it happens there was a direct fixture clash and Quins are infact and always have been playing the Heineken Cup fixture

at the Stoop, and TV dictated the date it was played unfortunately

As regards tomorrow night having contacted a few of those I attend matches with I have yet to find anybody impressed with

the fact the fixture has not been postponed. That said we will be there for the team as weve long since lost faith in the decision

makers.

Sticking with my game plan of tipping the opposition for the win.

It's going to be surreal regfardless it just boils down to which side handles the situation better on the pitch although such a small capacity ground might work for London as 900 at Esher up close and personal may seem more than 1200 rattling round the Stoop.

As so many on TRL have been to or played at Esher maybe the crowd will not be as bad as expected ;)

Surely if London want to attract more than 2k fans to a game, they should charge less then £20 for a ticket. There are loads of Aussies and Kiwis living here that would go if tickets were more affordable. Better to have 4k fans paying £10 a ticket than 2k fans paying £20

Surely if London want to attract more than 2k fans to a game, they should charge less then £20 for a ticket. There are loads of Aussies and Kiwis living here that would go if tickets were more affordable. Better to have 4k fans paying £10 a ticket than 2k fans paying £20

Not true. They have never shown interest. Most are only here to have fun for two years. Most of the Aussies and Kiwis in London earn good wedge temping as well and seem more than happy to spend a fortune at Twickers

It was 15 quid last year with many games on special offers. Hardly any Aussies and Kiwis. They are the wrong primary target market as the club have discovered at their cost (a good reason why crowds are low, after years of trying to attract Aussie/kiwis

"As so many on TRL have been to or played at Esher maybe the crowd will not be as bad as expected"

I think that this shows that there is a Rugby League culture in Surrey/London/South East. League does have a past in this region, hopefully a future.

Gonna go to this tonight. Looking forward to going on the road and having a few ales.

Good way to start a long lazy weekend!

.got man of the match though. She still mentions it twenty years later...............let it go woman.

Why? is that the only time you got man of the match? ;)

RFL Dispensation. and this was never going to be a "house full" game

As probably the only one on here who h\as been to Esher RFC, it's a super little Rugby Club bang on Hersham Station,.limited choice of shops in the area, but good catering in the ground. I confess I have not been to Esher at 8.00pm at night so cannot comment on the floodlights but all being well and the weather fine I look forward to being on the grass bank on the half-way iine.

No you are not. I have also played RL on the pitch to be used for the game ! Have the VHS to prove it :dry:

Clubhouse now a decent affair compared with the derelict wreck it was when Surrey Heath played there in early 1990s but the grandstand looks like it has had little done to it since. Lights were not a problem - Surrey Heath used to host a floodlit comp night before CC Final at Wembley.