Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hindle xiii

29/03/13 - Wigan Warriors v St Helens - KO 12.15pm

Who will win?   16 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • St Helens
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

147 posts in this topic

St Helens squad: Paul Wellens, Ade Gardner, Jordan Turner, Sia Soliola, Francis Meli, Josh Perry, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Jon Wilkin, Willie Manu, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Flanagan, Paul Clough, Josh Jones, Tom Makinson, Nathan Ashe, Alex Walmsley, Anthony Walker, Mark Percival, Lewis Charnock.

Do you think Brown is going to help improve this? I haven't seen Saints enough this year to know.

No more or less than any other coach has done. For example, Simmons did heaps for our youth development because we were hit by a major injury crisis and so played all our under 20s at some point (against Hudds away we had more under 20s in the starting 17 than senior players). But had we not had those injuries it is likely that Saints would have played the same bunch of senior players over and over again just as we did in fact when Mike Rush was in temporary charge last season, and Mike Rush is the person who set up the youth development system at Saints in the first place! Now we have another set of injuries, to key players again, and so our young players are getting a chance to have a go but if we hadn't had those injuries I doubt very much those young players would have been played. Saints don't appear to believe in phasing in young players; they just throw them in when injuries arise, which is a very out of date approach IMO and does us no good in the long term.

Well hopefully that will change Saintslass, maybe MacManus would be willing to encourage a coach to do that (whilst still allowing them a free hand on team selection obviously). The more clubs realise that a year or two's more patience can generate a superleague standard player (and maybe a few higher) the better. Take Goulding for us, how many Wiganers though he wasn't good enough 2 or 3 years ago. Whilst he'll never be Renouf, Miles or even Carmont he's certainly a decent player. (Sorry I know I'm preaching to the choir I've just seen too many juniors get away from our system and for the good of the game hate it happening anywhere)

I cannot comment in detail on Saints' system, but what Wigan did was instigate a consistent approach to training and playing across the teams a fair few years ago, and this means that it is much easier for players to slot in. Another point worth making is that we are not giving debuts to that many young players at the same time. We have drip fed them into the team. You could even argue we have held back a player like Burke whom many thought was ready last year. He is certainly ready now. Finally, we have adapted our style of play to negate the size issue somewhat. Fast ptbs rather than ground gained when we have the ball, and using the kicking game to ensure so far as possible the opposition is starting their stes much further downfield than in the last 10 years.

Did I miss Lomax's name, or is Brown playing a joke?

Stuart Howarth has arrived at Saints on loan from Salford (with Gaskell going the other way) and will apparently be in the squad for tomorrow's game. This seems like a rather strange development.

Stuart Howarth has arrived at Saints on loan from Salford (with Gaskell going the other way) and will apparently be in the squad for tomorrow's game. This seems like a rather strange development.

With Roby out for a few months and Hohia also still injured its a good move to bring in another hooker with 1st team experience.

Saints wont miss Gaskell

With Roby out for a few months and Hohia also still injured its a good move to bring in another hooker with 1st team experience.

Saints wont miss Gaskell

Saints are already missing Gaskell. You might have noticed that we don't actually have a 6 for our derby game against Wigan.

Is Howarth a hooker? He played 13 at Wigan.

I guess we will find out on Friday. Lucky us.

Saints wont miss Gaskell

But are we really so short of cover that we need to bring in a player who seems to have struggled to get a game at Salford this year? It would've been nice if one of the guys in our system could've stepped up. Without wanting to be disrespectful this feels like a pretty underwhelming signing.

Admittedly I know very little about him so perhaps someone who's seen him play regularly could offer a more informed opinion?

Howarth is a good player and a good man. He is super fit and committed, and an "intelligent" player. What he lacks is size and speed. Without meaning to be critical, in Flannagan and Wilkin Saints already have enough "versatile" clever players of his ilk.

What he lacks is size and speed.

Should fit into Saints' squad straight away then! :)

Just read on Twitter that Saints have named Wellens and Wilkin at 6 and 7. :O

Not sure if it's true yet though, But with Brown coaching, you never know.

Not sure if it's true yet though, But with Brown coaching, you never know.

Confirmed.

Yep. Brown would rather play a slow fullback at 6 than a young 6 at 6. There you go. If Howarth is as slow as some Salford fans are saying he is then we will have a combo in the middle which will be playing in slow-mo: Wilkin, Wello and Howarth. Should be interesting to see by how much we get battered.

I'm sorry has Nathan Brown lost the plot. You let Lee Gaskell go and then put Paul Wellens in at 6 for one of the biggest games of the season. That's absolutely barking.

Wigan win by 18ish. No Roby or Lomax. Wellens and Wilkin will be a shambles in the halves.

wigan by plenty...30+

st helens have had 5 different pairings at half back this season.......yet lomax as been playing at fullback and gaskell out on DR & now salford...

the mind boggles

I'm sorry has Nathan Brown lost the plot. You let Lee Gaskell go and then put Paul Wellens in at 6 for one of the biggest games of the season. That's absolutely barking.

Yep.

12 - 0 Wigan. Smith having a wonder game. Saints halves are rubbish and have no structure.

you surprised?.....the slowest man ever to play RL and a 2nd rower in the halves........never,ever,going to work

Both wellens and wilkin having trouble finding the 3/4 with passes....wigan will have a field day here