Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonty

Favourite pubs

137 posts in this topic

After clocking up several thousands of miles over the past couple of years, I've discovered some fantastic pubs, notably in London, where my view of southern beer has completely changed.

Favourites that I've come across:

1. The Gunmakers, Clerkenwell EC1

Probably my favourite pub in the country. Great landlord, faultless beer, excellent food. Plenty of choice, with beers normally sourced from London breweries or Purity brewery in Warwickshire. Perhaps the one pub in London that does a good pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord. Clerkenwell is great for a pub night - Jerusalem Tavern, Betsey Trottwood, Exmouth Arms to list just three.

2. The Bull and Swan, Stamford, Lincs.

Stamford is full of great pubs and worth a list itself, but the Bull and Swan has good food and drink coupled with excellent staff. Free house with Adnams + local guests usually on tap.

Any suggestions on others elsewhere?

There is a pub in St Helens called the Phoenix and noted for its real beers and awards. Not a lavish pub and in an area that's not pretty but I am told well frequented.

Bradley Arms Featherstone: great beer, lot of history, very friendly, open fires.

The Grove Leeds: fantastic beer, unaltered interior, arguably one of the best live music pubs in the country

The Black Horse Ruislip again great beer, friendly locals excellent live music

Always enjoyed calling in at the Old Silent Inn near Haworth, Yorkshire, as well as the Old Sun Inn, Haworth. Not been for some time, so not too sure whether they have the same warmly feel and good grub.

Always enjoyed calling in at the Old Silent Inn near Haworth, Yorkshire, as well as the Old Sun Inn, Haworth. Not been for some time, so not too sure whether they have the same warmly feel and good grub.

Probably about 12 months since I went in the Silent, but the snap was pretty good then.

Cliched I know, but my favourite at present is my local, the Hare & Hounds (or Lane Ends as it's known locally) in Old Town, just outside Hebden Bridge. Full range of Tim Taylor's beers which are all excellently kept, you're always welcomed at the bar by the locals and the staff, and the landlord and landlady are great. The food is not bad either.

Probably about 12 months since I went in the Silent, but the snap was pretty good then.

Cliched I know, but my favourite at present is my local, the Hare & Hounds (or Lane Ends as it's known locally) in Old Town, just outside Hebden Bridge. Full range of Tim Taylor's beers which are all excellently kept, you're always welcomed at the bar by the locals and the staff, and the landlord and landlady are great. The food is not bad either.

I recall the Old Silent Inn having a scrumptious salad, with a very generous plate full.

when i'm across at the in laws i always make a bee-line for Nellies in Beverly

Port Street Beer House is worth a visit if you ever find yourself in Manchester. The modern decor might not be to your traditionists tastes, but the range of beers alone make it worth a visit.

Also a big fan of the The Victoria in Aspull, well stocked on Allgates finest.

Speaking of Allgates, "The Road to Wigan Beer" starts tomorrow taking in some of the better pubs in Wigan!

in the 70s Iived on Haworth Road in Sandy Lane.

Decent beer was hard to come by, even taylors was under threat-best placein my locality for it back then was the Ferrands arms in Bingley down the valley: and the old silent inn. You took lasses to the OS: especially if the tryst was illicit, and went to he Ferrands with your mates.

Didn't the OS gain subsequent notoriety as a haunt of gangsters?

Euston Tap.

Regular calling off point prior to escaping back north - never disappoints.

London has some cracking bars these days.

Was in the Britons Protection in Manchester last night, another more traditional favourite.

in the 70s Iived on Haworth Road in Sandy Lane.

Decent beer was hard to come by, even taylors was under threat-best placein my locality for it back then was the Ferrands arms in Bingley down the valley: and the old silent inn. You took lasses to the OS: especially if the tryst was illicit, and went to he Ferrands with your mates.

Didn't the OS gain subsequent notoriety as a haunt of gangsters?

I visited the Old Silent Inn much later and always found a warm welcome. There is some history behind all the pennies stuck in the beams. The Old Sun Inn used to serve a corker of a Sunday roast. Just loved my visits to Haworth, and always called at the furniture place based in the old mansion. I believe the company has now moved.

I visited the Old Silent Inn much later and always found a warm welcome. There is some history behind all the pennies stuck in the beams. The Old Sun Inn used to serve a corker of a Sunday roast. Just loved my visits to Haworth, and always called at the furniture place based in the old mansion. I believe the company has now moved.

oh aye

I don't think it was the pub, more a small section of the clientelle that were the issue.

The Euston Tap is good but the best pub in London is either the Cask in Pimlico or the Jerusalem Tavern.I've lived in London for 21 years and the quality of pubs has increased.(Despite what many northerners say the beer has always been good but the choice is much better now.)

Back home in Manchester,the Marble Arch is the best.

The Euston Tap is good but the best pub in London is either the Cask in Pimlico or the Jerusalem Tavern.I've lived in London for 21 years and the quality of pubs has increased.(Despite what many northerners say the beer has always been good but the choice is much better now.)

this thing about southern beer being rubbish is as you say, nonsense and always was.

I like the Jerusalem Tavern but haven't ever lived or worked near enough to it to be a regular.

There's a nice Sam Smith's round the corner from work - The Dover Castle. Never so empty as to be ridiculous but never so full as to be annoying.

Do you mean Scartop? It's still there.

http://www.scartop.com/pinefurniture/pages/Haworth.html

Port Street Beer House is worth a visit if you ever find yourself in Manchester. The modern decor might not be to your traditionists tastes, but the range of beers alone make it worth a visit.

Only discovered this a month ago, excellent pub. Other favourites in Manchester are the Marble Arch and Sandbar.

Only discovered this a month ago, excellent pub. Other favourites in Manchester are the Marble Arch and Sandbar.

The Fringe Bar on Swan Street is also very good.

I wonder if another business has moved in because the place was shut down last time we paid a visit!

Depends how long ago it was I guess. To the best of my knowledge, it's been the same co for at least the last 4 or 5 years.

There was the original Ponden Mill just down the road in another similar building that has shut down, they sold more soft furnishings though.

Put me down as a fan of the Euston Tap as well. Always pop in when I'm in London. It is only a short walk from our office and of course handy for the train home. It is run by a northerner as well; the guy who manages it is originally from Aigburth.

Closer to home Liverpool has lots of great pubs serving a wide variety of quality beers. Among my favourites are The Fly in the Loaf, managed by a Cumbrian rugby league fan and regular haunt of Saints players. Another must visit is The Belvedere Arms, Falkner Street. This pub is a small old fashioned place unchanged, almost, by time. Serves some great, well kept beer. If you go at the wrong time though you will struggle to get in as it can be crowded by the members of the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra from next door who have been drinking in there for decades. Falkner Street itself is worth a visit, again it is like stepping back in time. A wide cobbled street full of elegant Regency houses. They must use this place for film shoots (most probably doubling for Dickensian/Regency London).

In Formby my local is The Freshfield which has a range of 14 hand pulled beers, 10 of them regularly changing guest beers and does great food as well.

Here goes.

Silver Talley, Standish, refurbished closed down Thwaites pub The Foresters, opened by local micro brewery Prospect ( of Oz Clarke and James May fame )

The Hop Vine, Burscough, another refurbished closed down pub this time with its own on site micro brewery.

The Anvil, WIgan Town Centre, Allgates Brewery owned very traditional boozer with excellant range of beers.

John Bull Chophouse, Thwaites house but has a selection of guest beers. Recently had a makeover but nothing too drastic, now has 5 hand pumps and serving a selection of home made pies from Cumbria. Renowned for its jukebox.

The Holt Arms (The Foot), Billinge, nice tidy pub, cracking in summer with bowling green at the back, thats if you can get there on our one summers day.

Hawkshead Brewery Tap, Stavely Cumbria, modern bar at the Hawkshead Brewery, full range of own beers, occasionally a guest. Good food including Beer Tapas.

Watermill Inn, Ings Cumbria, another pub with its own brewery, excellant food and huge range of beers.

Staleybridge Station Buffet Bar, cracking small conversion to a drinking house, very traditional food (pie and peas, hotpot etc.). Don't visit at weekend.

For a bizarre experience, Fiddle I'th Bag, Burtonwood, its like having a pint with the Steptoes.

In London I like The Ship Tavern tucked away down Gate Street behind Holborn Station.

The Hop Vine, Burscough, another refurbished closed down pub this time with its own on site micro brewery.

I must make the effort to make a visit, heard nothing but good things about it. Supped plenty of their excellent beer though as the Freshfield often stock it.

Next time you are in Copenhagen, drop by at The Black Swan beer bar on Borgergade 93.

It offers a wide selection of microbrews and since reopening it is highly regarded;

http://www.blackswanbar.dk/

They also sponsor Copenhagen RLFC.