Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonty

Favourite pubs

137 posts in this topic

I must make the effort to make a visit, heard nothing but good things about it. Supped plenty of their excellent beer though as the Freshfield often stock it.

This is REALY a reasturant that serves beer. Don't turn up early evening expecting to sit at a table and just drink because as has happend to me on few occasions you get a reserved sign placed on the table that you are using.

If you want a better pub in that area try the Ring O bell further down the canal towards Wigan. Food is miles better and the ale is more varied and the best around there.

The legendary Ring of Feathers in Cleckhuddersfax.

Beyond belief. :)

Fernandes Brewery Tap

Avison Yard

Wakefield

Always good selection of real ales, plus draught cider (Old Rosie usually) plus good selection Belgian ales and Belle Vue Cherry Beer on tap

West Riding Refreshment Rooms

Dewsbury Station

Featured in the James May/Ossie Clark programme - always excellent Taylors products, plus Anglo Dutch Brewery part of the railway ale trail.

Fannys Ale and Cider Vaults

Saltaire

Quirky pub on the outskirts of Saltaire - great pint Landlord - late John Peel's wife was born here - worth a train ride from Leeds - 20 mins.

Ossett Brewery Tap

The Green

Ossett

great pint of Excelsior plus other brewers' products

The Palace

Next to Leeds Parish Church

Great selectiion real ales, for those interested in defunct breweries - The Palace is a former Melbourne House and still has doors with the Melbourne "Couriter" logo.

For me, as they are closing rapidly, any that are open!!

Strangely was going to start a similar thread this week about this too.

For me, as they are closing rapidly, any that are open!!

Strangely was going to start a similar thread this week about this too.

Not round here they're not. The only ones I've noticed closing in Liverpool city centre are the ones you'd cross the road to avoid in the first place!

I've heard, form people in the business, that those pubs that make the extra effort to offer something special - a choice of quality beers, excellent food, good live music or just a really nice atmosphere - are doing pretty well.

The ones that are mainly going to the wall are either the mediocre or plain bad ones. Obviously, there are exceptions on either side.

My dads WMC made a profit of £700 for 2011 and when suggested why not introduce odd things like Darts and Doms (not world beating I know but £ is £'s) he was no, wouldn't work etc. Alot of places are narrowminded and backward thinking. Pubs still think Karaoke and loud DJs are the way forward.

Not round here they're not. The only ones I've noticed closing in Liverpool city centre are the ones you'd cross the road to avoid in the first place!

In Wigan we have had The Silver Tally (formerly The Foresters) , The Raven and Bird I'Th Hand (T'Hen 'ole) re-open in the last 12 months or so. Common to all locally sourced real ale and a simple but effective menu.

The Ring-O-Bells a bit further out near Burscough has re-opened as has The Stocks Tavern at Parbold. The RoB was a dreadful pub before it closed, never been in since it re-opened though someone elsewhere on this thread has given it a glowing report.

Watermill Inn, Ings Cumbria, another pub with its own brewery, excellant food and huge range of beers.

Up until Saturday that was my dads local, cracking pub, with an excellent dogs in the back room kids in the front room policy!

The Ring-O-Bells a bit further out near Burscough has re-opened as has The Stocks Tavern at Parbold. The RoB was a dreadful pub before it closed, never been in since it re-opened though someone elsewhere on this thread has given it a glowing report.

The Ring-O-Bells was always pretty grim, not been in since it re-opened, but just down the canal is The Ship Inn, which always used to be decent.

Agree with about the Ring O Bells it WAS dreadful but now it's the best pub in that area (which as you will know the area is saying something)

Amanda formerly of the Turks Head in St Helens is now running it best kept beer in the area and the best food by a mile ( although not a massive menu, which in my mind is a good thing)

Oh and they're having a beer featival this bank holiday weekend

when i'm across at the in laws i always make a bee-line for Nellies in Beverly

An absolute gem of a boozer.

The Barley Mow in Kirk Ireton in Derbyshire is well worth a visit. It's like stepping into a pub from about hundred years ago. i first went there about ten years ago with some friends. We walked in after a long, cold walk and there was a man with a kestrel on his shoulder next to the bar. We had some great grub by an open fire, smoked a camberwell carrot and no one batted an eyelid.

I lost touch with those friends so never knew where it was until recently. Went back about a month ago and stayed next door with my wife. Had a lovely night and the locals were very chatty, although my missus reckons those sort of pubs are ten a penny in Ireland.

Another cracking little pub is the Heaton Bridge Inn just outside Ormskirk. Nice beer and food.

The Barley Mow is also a great favourite of mine, always take friends there who need to see what a proper pub with beer from the rack tastes like.

If you find yourself in Derby itself look out the Exeter Arms on Exeter Street. The home made food is really excellent and the Dancing Duck range of beers is exemplary.

I'm not much of pub frequenter but the two I tend to go in are the Wyke Lion down the road on A58 and the White Lion in Hebden Bridge. The similarity in name is just coincidence.

The Barley Mow is also a great favourite of mine, always take friends there who need to see what a proper pub with beer from the rack tastes like.

If you find yourself in Derby itself look out the Exeter Arms on Exeter Street. The home made food is really excellent and the Dancing Duck range of beers is exemplary.

I lived in Derby for just under a year and it was a bloody miserable year for various reasons. I do seem to remember it having a few decent pubs though.

Me and my girlfriend at the time drove down to Cornwall to see the solar eclipse and we picked up a couple of hitchhikers around Saltash. It turned out they drank in our local in Derby! I can't remember the name of the pub though.

Up until Saturday that was my dads local, cracking pub, with an excellent dogs in the back room kids in the front room policy!

The Ring-O-Bells was always pretty grim, not been in since it re-opened, but just down the canal is The Ship Inn, which always used to be decent.

Been in the Ship recently, still a good pub, and as far as I'm aware still does good food. Suffered a bit at one point with quick changes in ownership.

Another Wigan town centre pub worth a mention is The Berkley Square, large modern pub, but, always has a good range of excellent cask beers. Lots of sports screens and generally has a good atmosphere for big games. Pinged food but had much worse.

In Lancaster The Three Mariners is a good local, knocks out good grub along with its good range of beers.

when i'm across at the in laws i always make a bee-line for Nellies in Beverly

Just yesterday there was a review of Nellies in the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph...-Yorkshire.html

Ok being from Dewsbury a load of outsiders go on about the West Riding Refreshment rooms but there is another little gem of a place in the town which i prefer even though i don't get there often and thats the Leggers Inn at Saville Town Wharf.

Always a good collection of unusual ales, quirky venue, interesting artifacts inside. Its strange to describe really. Not tired the food but looks decent enough.

http://www.saviletow...uk/leggers.html

Only downside is that its a taxi ride from pretty much anywhere (5 mins from town center), well taxi ride anywhere apart from the Saville Town area but i doubt they get many drinkers in from that area.

Edit: Just found another review from the Telegraph and thats for Leggers:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/pubs/8838210/Yorkshire-pub-guide-Leggers-Inn-Dewsbury.html

In Wigan we have had The Silver Tally (formerly The Foresters) , The Raven and Bird I'Th Hand (T'Hen 'ole) re-open in the last 12 months or so. Common to all locally sourced real ale and a simple but effective menu.

The Crown on Bradley Lane at Standish used to be pretty good when I was a plastic Wiganer. There was also a pub opposite the Beeches in Standish - Dog and Gun? Dog and Partridge? that wasn't bad.

I don't have any favourite pubs as such but there are some that i like to visit when visiting certain towns. For example, Porters Ale House in Warrington is a cracking little pub. In Wigan I like the The Old Pear Tree and also Harry's Bar is always worth a visit.

Ok being from Dewsbury a load of outsiders go on about the West Riding Refreshment rooms but there is another little gem of a place in the town which i prefer even though i don't get there often and thats the Leggers Inn at Saville Town Wharf.

Always a good collection of unusual ales, quirky venue, interesting artifacts inside. Its strange to describe really. Not tired the food but looks decent enough.

Only downside is that its a taxi ride from pretty much anywhere (5 mins from town center), well taxi ride anywhere apart from the Saville Town area but i doubt they get many drinkers in from that area.

http://www.telegraph...n-Dewsbury.html

I agree with you about The Leggers. I'd certainly prefer to be in there on a weekend, rather than in t' Refreshment Rooms, away from some of the eejits on the stag and hen does.

http://www.telegraph...n-Dewsbury.html

Yes I've been in the Leggers - I usually go in the summer though - frightened of falling in in the dark ;)

The Brewers Pride at Ossett is pretty good, as is the Cellar Bar opposite Batley Station - watch the GF in there a couple of times. They have Batley RLFC memorabilia behind the bar.

Duck n Drake in Leeds city centre , down side of the market , All hand pulled beers , scrumpy cider on hand pull , open log fires , old wooden floors........

Duck n Drake in Leeds city centre , down side of the market , All hand pulled beers , scrumpy cider on hand pull , open log fires , old wooden floors........

and live music

good choice