Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonty

Favourite pubs

137 posts in this topic

Are you just staying on Saturday, or Friday as well?

Friday ... folk night in the Castle; a very good local singer called Bella Gaffney (only about 20 with a pretty big future, I reckon)  is on, plus a jam session.

Saturday ... live punk / rock music at the Black Swan on Thornton Road ... which is pretty near the Fighting Cock on Preston Street.

Fighting Cock shuts at 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays

Both nights .... late night drinking and live rock music (free entry upstairs; pay to see the band downstairs) at the Gasworks in the City Centre ... no proper beer but large  cans of Red Stripe are pretty cheap.

Sparrow's okay, but not big and has a continental cafe atmosphere.

Some pubs have occasional gigs; e.g the New Beehive, the Polish Club and the City Vaults. I'll report back.

The City Vaults has a jazz band on every Sunday night

I've checked out Griff's Magic Theatre's website (fantastic all-vinyl 60's to 90's  dj) but he doesn't seem to be playing this week.

Wolford6

I am just staying Saturday night and going back to London straight after the match.

Thanks for your suggestions.

The wonderfully named House of The Trembling Madness pub in York is a fantastic bar.

The wonderfully named House of The Trembling Madness pub in York is a fantastic bar.

Sounds like a Weatherspoons. ;)

Bazz

Stop Press:

Griff's Magic Theatre is playing the Black Swan tonight. Fantastic all vinyl music, not just singles, album tracks etc. Expect Creedence, Hendrix, Ska, Doors, West Coast, Stones, Psychedelia etc.

Thornton Road  ~ 500 yards up from the Odeon and fountains. Get there before 11pm; won't finish till "later".

it will be a good night for you and your party.

Spent an evening at the aforementioned Port Street Beer House in Manchester last night. Had one of the best beers I've ever tasted, Black Band Porter by Kirkstalls.

Is that the Kirkstall brewery from Leeds? I'll be going home soon and they have just bought one of my old locals.looking forwad to sampling

The local Mall yesterday was closed due to a power outage and I drink in a restaurant /Diner, Ruby Tuesday the beer on tap is slappy Yuenglings ,but its quite cheap $4.70 for about 1.1/3 of a pint .Anyway yesterday I got a lift to another Mall and called for one in a bar/restaurant called Bogarts which sold a selection of beers.I asked for a Porter and it was a cracking drink only it was less than a pint and it cost $6.So its back to Ruby's  next week,but I wouldnt mind a proper sesh in Bogarts.

Just looked up Muker .... flipping heck, now that is the middle of nowhere!

e.

My favourite part of the world. Spent a lot of holidays drinking and potholing around there

I think Muker is a preserved area, fields as far as you can see, all dry Stone walled and every one with its own little barn. Fantastic!

I paid a visit to Alverthorpe Working Mens Club (Wakefield) last night. Although not a pub it is superb establishment with a dedicated TV lounge overlooking the bowling green, another lounge for people who don't want to watch TV, a welcoming bar area and a large and well appointed concert room. Most important of all was the beer, as well as guest real ales they always have on tap the wonderful White Lion which is brewed at Bob's Brewery in nearby Ossett, the price (£2-26p) a pint is a real bargain.

Two of Bradford's finest traditional pubs have been shut for well over a year. Both near the city centre.

One is to re-open.

:)

thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10356553.Landmark_Bradford_pub_Jacobs_Well_is_saved_by_William_Wagstaff/

One looks to be lost forever, despite having the best bar area I have ever seen.

:(

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10374182.Anger_over_restaurant_plan_for_Cock_and_Bottle_pub_at_Barkerend/

I think the council should insist on the bar being dismantled and re-built at the Industrial Museum.

It's probably 3 or 4 years since I was at The Old Pear Tree so if its gone downhill then that's a shame cos it used to be a very decent pub.

As for Harry's Bar - I didn't say it was any good, just that it was worth a visit for the entertainment and curiosity factor, you know what I mean.

I suppose that s one way of looking at it !!!!

I've never liked Landlord it's too sweet.

Bradford city centre now has several really good proper-beer pubs.

On the other hand, in my long-term stomping ground, Wibsey pubs used to sell terrific proper beer. Now there's only the Dog & Gun and Upper George where I can rely on getting a good pint.

Always found the dog a little hit and miss. Depends whos pulling the pint.