Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TedCharlton

Diminishing Junior Teams

53 posts in this topic

Your fippancy and levity does not do justice to your previous inputs regarding Barla and their player registration increase/decrease!! 60 years of RFL support and I am still not surprised!!

And I've see many many lads who have played pro first team at 17/18 years of age and been out of the game well before they should have been due to career ending injuries or constant recurring injuries caused more than likely due to the physicality of the game and their exuberance as young men never knowing when to ease off and desperately wanting to impress. ...............two words.............player welfare!

Hi again Marauder, Have to agree with you, professional sport takes its toll, nature of the game especially in the contact sports, one hopes that retiring under the age of 30 years with maybe a boatload of money is worth it. More than I retired with when I was 65 years old, I played and enjoyed many amateur sports and still carry the injuries, but the memories are worth the minor discomforts. Cheers T.

Your fippancy and levity does not do justice to your previous inputs regarding Barla and their player registration increase/decrease!! 60 years of RFL support and I am still not surprised!!

Thanks Ted, given your age your grasp of technology is commendable, as is your angling technique ;)

Thanks Ted, given your age your grasp of technology is commendable, as is your angling technique ;)

Was that a Mea culpa or a fly in the ointment oops! Cheers.

Hi again Marauder, Have to agree with you, professional sport takes its toll, nature of the game especially in the contact sports, one hopes that retiring under the age of 30 years with maybe a boatload of money is worth it. More than I retired with when I was 65 years old, I played and enjoyed many amateur sports and still carry the injuries, but the memories are worth the minor discomforts. Cheers T.

Yep I'll agree with it being worth the minor discomforts, I finished playing at 44 in the Yorkshire Premier and for my pains had two operations last year on old injuries :)

Was that a Mea culpa or a fly in the ointment oops! Cheers.

LMAO...........don't flatter yourself, its neither :)

Yep I'll agree with it being worth the minor discomforts, I finished playing at 44 in the Yorkshire Premier and for my pains had two operations last year on old injuries :)

Hello M, I never reached that standard, played to enjoy, not a lot of prefered RFL in my youth a mostly RFU and because of knee problems and not being able to turn through more than 180 degrees took up squash (a forward playing game) at 35 and still playing 35 years later, good enough to still beat my RFL Academy playing grandson but not for much longer, he is super fit and improving his squash. Cheers T.

LMAO...........don't flatter yourself, its neither :)

With no ass I guess your filling up and about to burst. !!!

Hello M, I never reached that standard, played to enjoy, not a lot of prefered RFL in my youth a mostly RFU and because of knee problems and not being able to turn through more than 180 degrees took up squash (a forward playing game) at 35 and still playing 35 years later, good enough to still beat my RFL Academy playing grandson but not for much longer, he is super fit and improving his squash. Cheers T.

I think at your age the little monkey should cut you some slack ;) hardly fair making his grandad run around that squash court!!

I think at your age the little monkey should cut you some slack ;) hardly fair making his grandad run around that squash court!!

I still enjoy playing the game, coached junior County players for many years, can still from a static position feed any ball to a striking player to improve their stroke play, only lost my stamina, not my technique. Good night.

You should be relaxing on one of those caravan holidays and resting your knees :)

Goodnight my padawan.

I've played squash as well, played for the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Artillery in 1971, retired from competition after being beaten by a woman at Birmingham Uni, last Time I played was in 1977, at that time we had the army champion in my regiment who was a little fat guy, once he got the centre of the court you couldn't move him, great sport.

If you think that you have problems with youth in Yorkshire you should try being in West Cumbria. I was told the other day that we only have 4 teams at U12 and 4 at U16, not sure how many at U14, so that will have major repocussions in the next few years with less players moving into the open age ranks.

On top of that, rumours are rife that we have major problems at the West Lakes Academy, with them wanting to pull 30 players out of the amateur ranks at 16 years old to make a team up, but they are signing them as professional players, so some of them have been told that they can't play for BARLA or GB Community Lions.

Which begs the question, if we only have 4 under 16 teams, how can you get 30 professionals from so few teams?

I don't know the full facts on his, but I'm sure someone out there does, and will be able to spill a bit more light on it

If you think that you have problems with youth in Yorkshire you should try being in West Cumbria. I was told the other day that we only have 4 teams at U12 and 4 at U16, not sure how many at U14, so that will have major repocussions in the next few years with less players moving into the open age ranks.

On top of that, rumours are rife that we have major problems at the West Lakes Academy, with them wanting to pull 30 players out of the amateur ranks at 16 years old to make a team up, but they are signing them as professional players, so some of them have been told that they can't play for BARLA or GB Community Lions.

Which begs the question, if we only have 4 under 16 teams, how can you get 30 professionals from so few teams?

I don't know the full facts on his, but I'm sure someone out there does, and will be able to spill a bit more light on it

Or more to the point how can amateur clubs thrive when there are so few players coming through there system, at the minute the three conference clubs and Seaton have good youth numbers everywhere else do not, I have seen the figures for kids that are playing the game on a school year basis and the issue is being addressed through the recently formed West cumbria youth steering group which is having its second meeting this Wednesday to progress things forward on the changes that need to be made, however clubs have to have a big input into that

As an example DTTRR we have less than 100 players from age 6-16 playing in Maryport across three clubs, thats a decade of players so assuming that there will be a natural drop out of players will that be enough to sustain three clubs moving forward and what can Maryport, Glasson and Ellbra do that will be for the mutual good of the game to change that? Ive long said if there isnt an end to on upsmanship in West Cumbria the game is doomed and I stand by that

As for the elite academy they are looking at 12 contracted pros every year and at 15 and 16 the scholarship figures will be 24 players taken on that albeit there is no contract etc at that age so there future is unaffected BUT if participation was what it should be in the West of the county the Elite would take care of itself at the minute there isnt the player numbers to support the academy and its putting the amateur clubs short term future in difficulties

Bottom line though clubs need to work together and get in schools and be proactive if we are going to increase the numbers of players and maybe some rules need to be amended to reflect the challenges that the game faces which is in a far unhealthier state than it was when they were drawn up

Or more to the point how can amateur clubs thrive when there are so few players coming through there system, at the minute the three conference clubs and Seaton have good youth numbers everywhere else do not, I have seen the figures for kids that are playing the game on a school year basis and the issue is being addressed through the recently formed West cumbria youth steering group which is having its second meeting this Wednesday to progress things forward on the changes that need to be made, however clubs have to have a big input into that

As an example DTTRR we have less than 100 players from age 6-16 playing in Maryport across three clubs, thats a decade of players so assuming that there will be a natural drop out of players will that be enough to sustain three clubs moving forward and what can Maryport, Glasson and Ellbra do that will be for the mutual good of the game to change that? Ive long said if there isnt an end to on upsmanship in West Cumbria the game is doomed and I stand by that

As for the elite academy they are looking at 12 contracted pros every year and at 15 and 16 the scholarship figures will be 24 players taken on that albeit there is no contract etc at that age so there future is unaffected BUT if participation was what it should be in the West of the county the Elite would take care of itself at the minute there isnt the player numbers to support the academy and its putting the amateur clubs short term future in difficulties

Bottom line though clubs need to work together and get in schools and be proactive if we are going to increase the numbers of players and maybe some rules need to be amended to reflect the challenges that the game faces which is in a far unhealthier state than it was when they were drawn up

Your falling for the 3 card trick thinking this academy will be a good thing, we've lost two sides over the last 5 years because the service area (thats what they where called) directed all the elite players to the amateur club of the local pro clubs choice, we simply don't produce enough kids who want to play the game for this system to work and you can't rely on numbers produced from a school report, talk to people like Taxiegg.

Doncaster RLFC have lost their development officers (one is our headcoach) he has taken it on himself to do development work in the schools and I've been told he has secured some funding from the Doncaster council, our aim is to get a mini competition started based on how the RLC was run with the local primary schools and possibly a few from the surrounding villages.

Your falling for the 3 card trick thinking this academy will be a good thing, we've lost two sides over the last 5 years because the service area (thats what they where called) directed all the elite players to the amateur club of the local pro clubs choice, we simply don't produce enough kids who want to play the game for this system to work and you can't rely on numbers produced from a school report, talk to people like Taxiegg.

Doncaster RLFC have lost their development officers (one is our headcoach) he has taken it on himself to do development work in the schools and I've been told he has secured some funding from the Doncaster council, our aim is to get a mini competition started based on how the RLC was run with the local primary schools and possibly a few from the surrounding villages.

Im not sure what part of my original post led you to believe that Im thinking the academy is a good thing Marauder I have highlighted my view above and the figures that I am referring to in West Cumbria are figures that the clubs have submitted they are more than a school report as you say, due to the small population we play two year age groups and as a result we have different issues that affect participation numbers to the ones in Lancashire and Yorkshire that guys like Taxi Egg know inside and out

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

WOW !!! The numbers are going down all around, certainly we seem to expect to lose our 17 year olds to the "open age" leagues. Prior to that although height and physique is relevent we need to have competition at as many ages as possible, even handicaping older players playing down to maybe two or three on the field of play at any time during a match so that they cannot control the game. How we stop the poaching by any clubs making promises I don't know. What is certain is that they need the need crops of new kids coming through and if they will subsidise our youth we need to keep talking. to them. We need to make more noises. Ted C.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hello RFL Fans,

The RFL is disputing an under 16's player who is presently registered and playing open age at his home Club which does not have an under 16's team, they are disputing his affilation to another Club where he can play at his peer level, (no he is not a 6 foot 14 stone monster) he is lean and fast talented 16 year old.

Maybe another nail in the coffin of younger age RFL recruitment, I did recently raise the point of diminishing squads of under 16's downwards, I am now informed that there are fewer league teams and fewer squad members this year than last in the whole of the North of England.

At our club Cramlington Rockets we are now arranging matches further away from our our leagues area in the North East.

This year we have been down to Yorkshire for two games, across to Barrow in Furness for a game and had a visit from Egremont Rangers (Cumbria) at our home ground at Astley High School, Seaton Delaval, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear

On Sunday 23rd June we are traveling to Edinburgh to play Aberdeen Spartans at under 15's and under16's, the funding is hard to cover for both teams but we are meeting halfway by arrangement at an Edinburgh University Ground

Anyone out there who like to visit Cramlington Rockets at Seaton Delaval near Newcastle on Tyne contact us anytime.

Ted C.

The RFL "have seen the light".

Whatever they call it, duel registration has been allowed, playing at different levels is now OK our young un's can play for other teams at their own peer level if the Club they are a member off does not have a team of their own age group.

Ted C.

The RFL "have seen the light".

Whatever they call it, duel registration has been allowed, playing at different levels is now OK our young un's can play for other teams at their own peer level if the Club they are a member off does not have a team of their own age group.

Ted C.

That's always been the rule Ted as far as I'm aware.

The prohibition is against youth players moving to a different club for open age purposes if you too have an open age set up in the same competition.

The issue is one of timing the signing on's in the right order. Most club registration secretaries have known that for years , but it can be tricky I accept   if you hit it for the first time     

Meanwhile keep up the good work up there .........

Thanks very much Coach, we are getting there gradually, we need more media attention and help from the Top End input to the junior levels to move the game forward.

The game is now getting much better, superbly fast especially since playing the advantage game more

Regards

Ted C.

On Sunday 23rd June we are traveling to Edinburgh to play Aberdeen Spartans at under 15's and under16's, the funding is hard to cover for both teams but we are meeting halfway by arrangement at an Edinburgh University Ground

Ted C.

Hi Ted, where are you playing? I wouldn't mind coming to watch if I have time on Sunday. Is it Peffermill?

RFL ENGLAND v SCOTLAND at Edinburgh

Sunday 23rd June 2013

Cramlington Rockets (Newcastle)

v

Aberdeen Spartans

Peffermill Playing Fields

University of Edinburgh

42 Peffermill Road

Edinburgh, EH16 5LL

U15's game KO at 1.00pm & U17's game KO at 2:30pm

Hi Coach maybe we should be meeting at Bannockburn?

Should be a good measure of RFL standards outside of Yorkshire & Lancashire

Regards, Ted C.

Many years ago team structures were 9's,11's,13's,15's,17's.That seemed to work.

This was the system when I played, worked well

This was the system when I played, worked well

Some clubs just have too many players for that though. A good amateur club like Oulton Raiders have U7s, U8s, U9s, U10s, U11s, U12s, 2 x U13s, 2 x U14s & U15s. They aren't alone in having teams at so many age groups.