Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Duff Duff

Yorkshire v Lancashire instead of England v The Exiles

95 posts in this topic

Brilliant idea - let's re-enforce the M62 stereotype by having a Yorks V Lancs series. Oh dear... :rolleyes:

I suppose we could ask Sky to use the adagio from the 'New World Symphony' [the Hovis advert tune] to advertise the match, just to complete the own goal..

With respect to the non-m62 players, how do the aussies deal with players who aren't from nsw or queensland? Could we not do something similar?

With respect to the non-m62 players, how do the aussies deal with players who aren't from nsw or queensland? Could we not do something similar?

if they are from out of state...the will still have made their 1st grade debut in either QLD or NSW....and they go off that..

but as with just about every rule the aussies come up with they tend to break the rules...ie greg inglis should really be playing for NSW....but he plays for QLD

So there's no Melbourne players born and bred that play origin?

There's only one Melbourne player I'm aware of that's from Victoria.

Not a positive one.

Is this an argument for or against your idea?!

Again, is that an argument for Yorks vs Lancs or not?! The exact same situation can apply to any game involving a rep side. It's pointless that you keep repeating it because it's not an argument.

If selection for the England/Britian team was dependent on and directly related to a player'sperformance in a Yorkshire v Lancashire matches then it would be competitive and the players's would have more than enough motivation. Also getting the best 26 British players on a pitch together would provide a higher and more intense standard than the Exiles games.

If I remember the problem with the County matches the last time they tired them was they weren't given a dedicated place in the schedules and the clubs were unco-operative about releasing players.

As for communicating a negative image about the geographical reach of the game I am afraid it is just an acceptance of reality, even though rugby league isn't even popular in the whole of the historic Counties of Lancashire and Yorkshire. Wales, France, Ireland and Scotland don't have viable international sides that are competitive enough to play against the top 3 teams in the World. I mean Wales were quite happy that they were battered 36-0 by New Zealand a couple of years ago.

Before the game can hope to expand the foundations and commercial viability of the sport need to strengthened first with increased interest and more money coming into the sport. Better to learn how to run before you can walk.

Been saying for years yorkshire v lancashire to be played over the christmas period . One game boxing day and the return fixture new years days. Would bring back christmas fixtures for us older fans.

If selection for the England/Britian team was dependent on and directly related to a player'sperformance in a Yorkshire v Lancashire matches then it would be competitive and the players's would have more than enough motivation.

There's a full season for players to show their worth to get into the England side. There's also a few trial games, such as the Exiles game, for them to show their worth.

Also getting the best 26 British players on a pitch together would provide a higher and more intense standard than the Exiles games.

Would it?

Are the next best 13 better than the 13 players the Exiles can field? The fact that England's first team haven't beaten them in a series yet tells me no.

If I remember the problem with the County matches the last time they tired them was they weren't given a dedicated place in the schedules and the clubs were unco-operative about releasing players.

The squads were pretty strong IIRC. Farrell, Sculthorpe, Radlinski, etc. all involved. Still managed to get stuffed by 50 points against Yorkshire though.

As for communicating a negative image about the geographical reach of the game I am afraid it is just an acceptance of reality, even though rugby league isn't even popular in the whole of the historic Counties of Lancashire and Yorkshire. Wales, France, Ireland and Scotland don't have viable international sides that are competitive enough to play against the top 3 teams in the World. I mean Wales were quite happy that they were battered 36-0 by New Zealand a couple of years ago.

A score closer than the last Roses game.

An acceptance of reality? Or a pessimistic closing of the door?

Before the game can hope to expand the foundations and commercial viability of the sport need to strengthened first with increased interest and more money coming into the sport. Better to learn how to run before you can walk.

How would a Roses game achieve this any more than an Exiles game?

For what it's worth, I'd rather England Knights were replaced by Yorkshire/Lancashire. The Knights have no competitive opposition to play. A reserve team convincingly beating a nation's first team does no good for that nation at all and doesn't really provide a great test for the reserves. Split them up city/country style. Have it as the curtain raiser to the Exiles game. Everyone's a winner.

thats a even worse idea.....theres not the talent in france to achieve that yet

It a great idea. How do you propose to generate more talent without having more SL teams? One team is not sufficient for France as there is no culture of young lads joining English clubs (as there is with Kiwis in the NRL)

This is a better idea, but I would go one further and have regular matches between England and other northern hemisphere sides. Proper internationals, between sides that compete in the world cup, don't give up if they don't bring competitive games immediately. By all means have a 2 match series v the Celtic Tigers as well though. That might make the earlier scotland, Wales & Ireland matches more meaningful. Exiles and roses are both dead concepts, play proper internationals.

I also like the Celtic nations idea, but would also like to suggest an ANZAC team (Exiles sounds ####) and a Pacific Nations team, plus France - then you have a decent five team comp

word is a pacific island "all stars" team is going to be the 4th team in next years 4nations which is being held down under.....

i've also got a gut wrenching feeling "great britain"....is gonna be the 3rd team....along with australia & nz

I've no problem with GB playing overseas series but we should not have GB in 4 Nations one yr and England the next, it looks stupid

Leave GB. I'd rather England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Why have one team when we can have four?

Or shall we merge Wakey/Cas/Fev whilst we're at it...?

Leave GB. I'd rather England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Why have one team when we can have four?

Or shall we merge Wakey/Cas/Fev whilst we're at it...?

To have a stronger side?

There's only one Melbourne player I'm aware of that's from Victoria.

Does that make Australian expansion a failure?

word is a pacific island "all stars" team is going to be the 4th team in next years 4nations which is being held down under.....

i've also got a gut wrenching feeling "great britain"....is gonna be the 3rd team....along with australia & nz

Is that based upon anything (other than a feeling in your gut :) )?

There's a genuine argument that its a yes.

Despite dominating Australian RL for years they still get crowds lower than most NRL sides and similar to a rubbish Super 15 RU side. That's not to compare them to the AFL sides who can get up to 80k in the same city.

The test of Melbourne is when they're languishing around the bottom.

There's a genuine argument that its a yes.

Despite dominating Australian RL for years they still get crowds lower than most NRL sides and similar to a rubbish Super 15 RU side. That's not to compare them to the AFL sides who can get up to 80k in the same city.

The test of Melbourne is when they're languishing around the bottom.

That is one of the bugbears of being based in an AFL stronghold like Melbourne though and doesn't truly reflect on the of the viability club or the NRL in Melbourne. You really do have to take the background into account. I'll never forget when the NRL pulled the plug on Adelaide and they had been averaging around 15K at the Oval; I guess short termism isn't just a UK problem.

Is that based upon anything (other than a feeling in your gut :) )?

nah just a gut feeling.....my guts pretty good though

To have a stronger side?

a current GB team would be the same team as the current England team.....hth

They'd have to be trying to expand to deem it a failure or not! 2 out of 16 teams are expansion teams (NZW and Storm).

For a country that has league as one of the top two sports, commanding a billion dollar TV contract, huge media interest and has potential clubs lined up all over the place; how they're still looking at a league with 9 Sydney teams is beyond me!

I've no problem with GB playing overseas series but we should not have GB in 4 Nations one yr and England the next, it looks stupid

Bear in mind that with the world cup every four years, the 4N is not down under quite as often as every 2 years. The main benefit of playing as GB (rather than the bear certainty of England as the NH qualifiers) downunder is that it allows the Celtic nations a chance to play on a major stage. This means they are more likely to opt for Wales etc rather than England. Also GB has a better chance of winning

Bear in mind that with the world cup every four years, the 4N is not down under quite as often as every 2 years. The main benefit of playing as GB (rather than the bear certainty of England as the NH qualifiers) downunder is that it allows the Celtic nations a chance to play on a major stage. This means they are more likely to opt for Wales etc rather than England. Also GB has a better chance of winning

BUT IT DOES'NT THOUGH!!!!

theres not one celtic player that would displace a england player for a GB spot...

thats why i go on about the celtic tigers.......if you want celtic players a chance to play on the major stage...give them a team they have a chance of playing in..the CELTIC TIGERS

BUT IT DOES'NT THOUGH!!!!

theres not one celtic player that would displace a england player for a GB spot...

thats why i go on about the celtic tigers.......if you want celtic players a chance to play on the major stage...give them a team they have a chance of playing in..the CELTIC TIGERS

IVE been going on about celtic nations team for ages even named a squad made up totally of super league players theres around 26 to 30 players who would qualify I went with the name celtic tribes.

I'm sorry Yorkshire but no one other than yourselves cares about the county they are from.

I can understand that. B)