Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future is League

Steve McNamara please read this.

109 posts in this topic

oh dear.We have many posters that assume that the NRL is the be all and end all of Rugby League,it has nothing to do with club loyalties.So we have Widdop at 6 is that seriously enough to beat Australia,no.It's more about the mentallity of our players,not hero worshipping the Aussies,focusing on the game for 80 minutes,not switching off after an hour.

I do not assume the NRL is the be all etc...Anyone, who has sky sports and premier sports can see for themselves. The difference in the speed, quality, intensity, execution and skills of the undivduals and teams involved. I am not saying we are guaranteed to win with Widdop and Brough.I am saying they will give us more chance then a Sinfield/Chase combo.

It is irrelavent anyway because Macnamara will pick Sinfiedl/Chase anyway and you will be very happy.

Not sure about Brough, mate. He had a shocker on Friday. On his day, he is brilliant, but ...

He's one of our few halves who can be brilliant though. And we''re going to have to play brilliant to beat the Aussies. Even though he played badly Friday he's still the same player who Brian McDermott said beat Leeds by himself.

I do not assume the NRL is the be all etc...Anyone, who has sky sports and premier sports can see for themselves. The difference in the speed, quality, intensity, execution and skills of the undivduals and teams involved. I am not saying we are guaranteed to win with Widdop and Brough.I am saying they will give us more chance then a Sinfield/Chase combo.

And if we don't win with Widdop and Brough,who are the next in line?

I don't think it matters who the half back combination is,until we lose the hero worship mentality and learn to play for 80 minutes,we simply won't beat them regularly.

He's one of our few halves who can be brilliant though. And we''re going to have to play brilliant to beat the Aussies. Even though he played badly Friday he's still the same player who Brian McDermott said beat Leeds by himself.

What if selected to play against the Aussies,he has an "Andy Currier" game,what then?

It is irrelavent anyway because Macnamara will pick Sinfiedl/Chase anyway and you will be very happy.

And you know that how?

Just a wild guess...anyway, I have said my bit, we shall wait and see.

Just a wild guess...anyway, I have said my bit, we shall wait and see.

:rolleyes: wrong.

If George Burgess continues his current form he'd be starting for me. Graham as the other prop and Sam Burgess at 13.

And if we don't win with Widdop and Brough,who are the next in line?

I don't think it matters who the half back combination is,until we lose the hero worship mentality and learn to play for 80 minutes,we simply won't beat them regularly.

I think the fact that Widdop is playing in Australia against the Australians week in week out and rather successfully means he is more likely NOT to have this hero worship mentality you describe!

In all honesty, I'm not too fussed whether Sinfield starts or not. I think he'll do a job wherever you put him. It's Chase I don't agree with playing. He's in shocking form. He doesn't deserve his spot in the slightest. If he could form a partnership with Widdop I'd be happy with that.

I just think that Widdop is the best of all four, and that Brough would be a better balance with him.

Chase wouldn't even feature. I'd have McGuire and Myler over him on current form.

Has Tom Burgess had a game yet?

And how's Luke doing? He had good reports last year.

I think the fact that Widdop is playing in Australia against the Australians week in week out and rather successfully means he is more likely NOT to have this hero worship mentality you describe!

In all honesty, I'm not too fussed whether Sinfield starts or not. I think he'll do a job wherever you put him. It's Chase I don't agree with playing. He's in shocking form. He doesn't deserve his spot in the slightest. If he could form a partnership with Widdop I'd be happy with that.

I just think that Widdop is the best of all four, and that Brough would be a better balance with him.

Chase wouldn't even feature. I'd have McGuire and Myler over him on current form.

I'm not stating Widdop has the hero worship mentallity,didn't we all hear stories of our players asking Aussie players to sign there boots,it's that we need to get rid of.

Has Tom Burgess had a game yet?

And how's Luke doing? He had good reports last year.

Luke is currently out with a shoulder injury

Forget the exiles, what I would pay good money to watch is a trial between Steve Mac's Super League team (and he's spent a few years building up sqad mentality and combinations) and an NRL based team of qualified players. It could only happen very late but would be a guide as to who gels with who.

What if selected to play against the Aussies,he has an "Andy Currier" game,what then?

It wouldn't matter that much as we should qualify for the quarters whatever happens in the first game against the Aussies.

It wouldn't matter that much as we should qualify for the quarters whatever happens in the first game against the Aussies.

So that's ok then but if Chase had a stinker would it be the usual.Is Danny Brough above criticism?

widdops time will come after the world cup when sinfield retires from internationals

Why wait, if the kid is good enough play him.

I think roughyedspud was having a swipe at our selection process rather than suggesting Widdop wasn't ready.

since winning the man of steel award chase has been decidedly average, people forget about the likes of richie myler and johnny lomax when talking about an england scrum half both are far far better than chase.........

Precisely Dave, the difference from his Bull's day's and how he is at Souths is quite staggering and possibly adds emphasis to what I believe is one of the differences between S/L methods and those utilised in Oz?

Are you mixing George up with Tom?. George didn't get a game at bulls before he went down under.

Sinfields played 32 Test matches and has been out of his depth or had an "Andy Currier" in all but about 3 of them!

Widdop partnered by Brough or an ever improving Myler is the glaringly obvious way to go but SM has his pet players and he also has his non favourites in Atkins and Brough, he's a fool.

A player who is holding down the stand off spot in the World and NRL championship club side must be a very good choice for England but the competition is the reigning golden boot winner and holds down a stand off spot in the SL champions side and whose team were only narrowly beaten by Melbourne. The number of options at all positions is excellent news and a good problem to have compared to the past few years when we had barely a decent 17 to put on the field.

I think roughyedspud was having a swipe at our selection process rather than suggesting Widdop wasn't ready.

yep......widdop is more than ready....but McNamara has spent the last 4 years building a team around the same 1,6,7,9 spine...and number 6 in that spine is kevin sinfield...........like it or lump it...but thats the way it is...

and actually,stats wise....only cam smith,billy slater & greg inglis have out performed kev in internationals since the last world cup.....not alot of people like to hear that but its true...

so like i said....after the world cup,when he retires to prolong is club career,we can hand widdop the number 6 jersey

Personally don't think Sinfield is an international 6. I'd have Brough/Widdop.

Not sure what to do with Sinfield, McNamara has given him a guaranteed starting spot by making him captain but even at 13 u end up losing a forward as he'll play like a half-back. I actually thought his best international was at 9 a few years ago against Aussies.