Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fillipo del toro

Taking Inspiration From Sheridan

24 posts in this topic

Although i have been watching Hornets since the early/mid eighties, i thought i would tap into the knowledge of more, errrrr....... Mature Hornets fans and open a debate about who was the best Rochdale lad to ever play for Hornets. Personally i cant see much further than Karl Marriott. But racking your brains. Whos been the best Rochdale lad to play for his home town team?

My top 3 -

1. Karl Marriott

2. Chris Hilton

3. Emon Ratu (just nudging John Stapelton out)

Others from my time - Durrant, Diggle, Garside.

Was Shaun Hoare a Rochdale lad? I know he had a shop near Falinge Flats, but not sure of his hometown.

And i am sorry adopted Rochdale lads like Cowie (Todmorden) Hall (Oldham) & Calland (Widnes via Oldham) cannot be counted!

And any memories would be good as well.

Was Tony Gourley a local lad? I think he ran the buffet on Rochdale station at one time. He was a good prop who always gave 100%. He played for us the seventies I think before moving to Fulham.

Another prop who may have been a Rochdale lad was Peter Birchall.He was another 100% player. I remember him scoring against Leeds when he had the ball near the line and sold a great dummy and went through the gap to score. We won and it made my day as I taught in Leeds so didn't have to suffer the usual stick.

The trouble is I can think of several players who lived in Rochdale but unsure if they were born and bred here. I think Mick Baxter was a local lad. He was a top class loose forward in the sixties who I thought was international material. I think an injury ended his career early but he would have my vote as he was real class on his day.

Other players who may "qualify" are Norman Breslford and David Taylor but not sure.

Wayne English ,Wayne Corcoran, Chris Storey, Andy Duffy, Glen Banks, Tony Hilton, Paul O'Keefe, Tony Allen to name a few more !

Good topic Fillipo

I liked Paul O'keefe also can't believe no one mentioned club starlwart Steve "ticker" Turner who I see on his daily walk around Syke

Some cracking Rochdale lads already named in this thread

Couple more to mention Lee Wilson, Neil Ramsden, Paul Higginson, Sam Butterworth

Was Tony Gourley a local lad? I think he ran the buffet on Rochdale station at one time. He was a good prop who always gave 100%. He played for us the seventies I think before moving to Fulham.

Another prop who may have been a Rochdale lad was Peter Birchall.He was another 100% player. I remember him scoring against Leeds when he had the ball near the line and sold a great dummy and went through the gap to score. We won and it made my day as I taught in Leeds so didn't have to suffer the usual stick.

The trouble is I can think of several players who lived in Rochdale but unsure if they were born and bred here. I think Mick Baxter was a local lad. He was a top class loose forward in the sixties who I thought was international material. I think an injury ended his career early but he would have my vote as he was real class on his day.

Other players who may "qualify" are Norman Breslford and David Taylor but not sure.

Damm, i thought this thread was about my favorite actress Sheridan Smith.

4713424.jpg

A little on Tony Gourley, i remember him playing for Salford against us at the Athletic grounds, and scoreing. My little voice from out of the crowd shouting, a pity you didnt do that when you were here Gourley. He was a very good player for the Hornets when he was with us.

He had a very bad break to the jaw when he was with Salford.

He allso had a chippie on Oldham Road for a time.

Damm, i thought this thread was about my favorite actress Sheridan Smith.

4713424.jpg

A little on Tony Gourley, i remember him playing for Salford against us at the Athletic grounds, and scoreing. My little voice from out of the crowd shouting, a pity you didnt do that when you were here Gourley. He was a very good player for the Hornets when he was with us.

He had a very bad break to the jaw when he was with Salford.

He allso had a chippie on Oldham Road for a time.

Tony still has a chippy in Shawclough village & an old school pal married his daughter.

As for the Sheridan Smith picture A nice little pick me up

And there's more!................John Stapleton Andy Duffy Ian Moores John Donovan Robert Whitemoss Brett Garside

Colin Simkins;

Steve Prime;

Jason Diamond;

Kent Sutton;

Nigel Crabtree

Colin Simkins;

Steve Prime;

Jason Diamond;

Kent Sutton;

Nigel Crabtree

Steve Prime, I played with him for Mayfield back in the day. Hard as nails. He even scared me. Still see Stevie knocking about. Top fella

Hi Lakeside. I seem to remember a player called Ralph Hilton who played at the same time as John Fishwick. I think he took over from John Chisnall as stand off. Is that who you mean or am I thinking of the wrong person?

Barry Ashworth, Johnny Summers, Peter Reilly, Mick Mcguigan

I seem to remember Michael Mangan with Jason Clegg being paraded on the pitch just after coming back from a BARLA tour. Did Micky ever actually pull on a Hornets shirt? Even in the A Team? He was a fantastic talent up at Mayfield

I seem to remember Michael Mangan with Jason Clegg being paraded on the pitch just after coming back from a BARLA tour. Did Micky ever actually pull on a Hornets shirt? Even in the A Team? He was a fantastic talent up at Mayfield

No !

What about Sid Miller?

A great servant & scrum half at Hornets, and also heavily involved in the local amateur scene both as a player & a coach.

Always gave us 100%

What about Sid Miller?

A great servant & scrum half at Hornets, and also heavily involved in the local amateur scene both as a player & a coach.

Always gave us 100%

He was born in Yorkshire ! ;-)