Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shizonamy

Agecroft

67 posts in this topic

I'll will only be happy when an announcement on agecroft actually comes to fruition, not just ones that build our hopes up only to be dashed by nothing actually happening.

Bloody hell you didn't mention d/r.:D

Quote taken from Richard Frost the journalist reporting in last night match programme Belle Vue v Peterborough and referring to David Gordon and Chris Morton Belle Vue Aces Promotors...."Congratulations to David and Chris Morton for a massive achievement in pursuing their dream to a successful conclusion.

They've ridden a real rollercoaster, taken unjustified criticism when they weren't in a position to defend themselves and ignored those 'experts' who said it would never happen. On the plus side they have been backed by all those patient people who pledged their support and belief in the future."

Reporting on the six years it has taken Belle Vue to just get the council on side, they haven't even applied for planning yet, although that will now quickly follow.

I read this and immediately realised just how this fits in with Swinton and Agecroft and as a follower of the Aces we as fans haven't been told of developments every five minutes either.

Quote taken from Richard Frost the journalist reporting in last night match programme Belle Vue v Peterborough and referring to David Gordon and Chris Morton Belle Vue Aces Promotors...."Congratulations to David and Chris Morton for a massive achievement in pursuing their dream to a successful conclusion.

They've ridden a real rollercoaster, taken unjustified criticism when they weren't in a position to defend themselves and ignored those 'experts' who said it would never happen. On the plus side they have been backed by all those patient people who pledged their support and belief in the future."

Reporting on the six years it has taken Belle Vue to just get the council on side, they haven't even applied for planning yet, although that will now quickly follow.

I read this and immediately realised just how this fits in with Swinton and Agecroft and as a follower of the Aces we as fans haven't been told of developments every five minutes either.

Stand by Alan. You will shortly be naive...a dreamer...or misguided.

Your both living in cloud cuckoo land if you think this is nothing to do with the d/r system!

Next season we'll be playing at Wilderspool, if it's still there.

Next season we'll be playing at Wilderspool, if it's still there.

So the breadth of this insight doesnt go beyond you knowing if the ground still stands?

Never liked the thought of the walk down agecroft road (or more likely the walk back up!) so why not build a ground on the roof of the new Asda surely that would be better than playing in Warrington.

The roof looked pretty flat on the plans. I blame the club for not considering every option. Could get a decent sandwich at half time and The Football pub could be used as the club bar, The Weavers as dressing rooms.   ;)  ;) (Double wink for the benefit of PaulT).

Never liked the thought of the walk down agecroft road (or more likely the walk back up!) so why not build a ground on the roof of the new Asda surely that would be better than playing in

The roof looked pretty flat on the plans. I blame the club for not considering every option. Could get a decent sandwich at half time and The Football pub could be used as the club bar, The Weavers as dressing rooms. ;);) (Double wink for the benefit of PaulT).

Ha ha. Brilliant

So the breadth of this insight doesnt go beyond you knowing if the ground still stands?

Its a bit difficult getting a bus from Hastings to Warrington in one day, just to confirm speculation if a building is there or not, Mark perhaps you can help?

Yes its still there. But my point is that if the suggestion/ rumour had any semblance of truth you would know that.

Its a bit difficult getting a bus from Hastings to Warrington in one day, just to confirm speculation if a building is there or not, Mark perhaps you can help?

warrington wizzards play at wilderspool although the ground is now somewhat delapidated, at least they have a ground to call their own though.

On the thoughts that someone mentioned earlier on the club re. buying the club from the owners, what exactly is there to buy?

On the thoughts that someone mentioned earlier on the club re. buying the club from the owners, what exactly is there to buy?

Used to be a shareholder in the club. The only thing worth buying last time was the tallest rugby posts in he country with the crowns on....think they went to Eccles.

My dad made the post tops when he was an apprentice at gerrards.

I think the subject of buying the club was more to do with people putting their money where their mouth is.

I do think as a collective group if someone had the time, patience, and  thick enough  skin to drive this idea forward then it would be possible.

I did suggest that people could start this ball rolling by joining the trust and making a contribution on a monthly basis

This has been an option for many years. It would be a start. It would also give people a sense of belonging again and a place to get involved and try and get their own ideas implemented.

I haven`t got any of the above attributes but I do contribute financially as does my dad.

It really is easy to spend hours on here having a good rant. It is possible to get involved with the trust in much less time. 

My dad made the post tops when he was an apprentice at gerrards.

My dad was the wages manager at gerrards and they of course used to provide jobs to swinton players. I got my shares in the original club through my dad through someone at gerrards... Unfortunately, The shares, my dad and gerrards long gone now.

I think my grandad was one of the managers at gerrards too a john caine, he used to find the players jobs, in my opinion it all went downhill when it changed to farcloughs then amec. As for the post tops last time i heard cousin mike still had a couple of them, maybe if/when we get a new ground putting them back on the top of some posts would be a nice touch.

I think my grandad was one of the managers at gerrards too a john caine, he used to find the players jobs, in my opinion it all went downhill when it changed to farcloughs then amec. As for the post tops last time i heard cousin mike still had a couple of them, maybe if/when we get a new ground putting them back on the top of some posts would be a nice touch.

I think you are right and it would be great (a small piece of station road) Those blue crowns were an abiding memory of station road. Small things like that matter and prove that it is people like us that can keep the history and legacy of the club alive.

Failing getting the original post tops back on i'll make some new ones if need be, carry on the family tradition and all that, also if i was in charge i'd make the new grounds post's the tallest in rugby league again and if possible the tallest rugby posts in the world, if anything it would get us in the record books and people all over talking about us, as far as i can remember the post tops were raffled off when the ground was being dismantled i bought a couple of tickets, didnt win any our mike got two i think so we could do with finding out whom has the other two, my dad some where has pics of himself making the tops and from recollection he told me the posts were made out of norwegian spruce and the tops made out of solid oak. A positive ish post from me at last.

Ps forgot to add my dads got pics somewhere of the team at SWINTON town hall with himself holding the league cup? aloft.

I think we've got some grass in our back garden from the Station Road pitch...it doesn't really compare to the above though!

The current tallest posts are at Wednesbury RUFC in the Black Country. I've seen them up close and they are huge - way bigger than the old Station Road Giants. If you look left when you're driving north up the M6 by the RAC centre at Walsall, you can just about make them out. The traffic is usually at a halt there, so you often get time to spot them beyond the marshalling yards.