Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

what made you "choose rl"?

85 posts in this topic

It was inevitable really. I grew up in West Bowling, my dad and uncles supported Northern, then my elder brother and me. Must have gone to my first game about 56 or 57. They were pretty grim times until after the restart in 64, and I still remember very clearly the delirium of our first trophy win when we beat Hunslet at Headers in 64 to win the Yorksire Cup.

Brought up in a RL town, played at school and taken to Leigh at a very early age by my dad and until him passing away we had 3 generations watching.

What is crucial on this thread is how many from non RL backgrounds got hooked by great Ashes series, especially 90. Something we must get back to.

What is crucial on this thread is how many from non RL backgrounds got hooked by great Ashes series, especially 90. Something we must get back to.

This shows the value of a strong international game.

Great thread, guys. Really enjoyed reading every post.

Very different asking this question within the English sporting landscape. I'm Sydney born and bred. Born in the West, lived most of my life in the North-West. Don't really remember anything about Union until my teens. First memory of Aussie Rules was when the Swans made the GF for the first time when I was 12. Soccer was always a foreign sport that lots of kids played, but adults didn't.

My sporting awareness was saturated with rugby league. Family were league fans, friends were league fans, neighbours were league fans, played league based ball games during lunch at school. Got like 10 packs of footy cards for my birthday when I was 5 or 6.

I actually didn't become religious until a couple years after high school, in 2004. But there was only ever one game for me.

it all started when I went to this party

evryone was doing it. I just wanted to be one of the crowd.

I thought I could handle it, give up any time I wanted: you know the kind of thing

before I knew it I was doing it every weekend, now even on Thursdays most weeks: main lining basically.

I don't know what the future holds. I try to kick it, but then I find myself tlling myself 'once more for old times sake wont hurt', and o the cycle begins again.

I've tried all the methods: cold turkey,,,but that just reminded me of boxing day games, shock treatment...but there's only so many Stevo commentary loop tapes yo can listen to and keep the will to live-self defeaing, goup therapy...you always end

up talking about prom and reg.

I guess this is a cry fo help.

My dad and uncle introduced me to RL. Hailing from Doncaster, they'd had the good fortune to have been born and raised in Bentley (not a sentence you'll read too often) on the west side of town, the closest thing Donny had to a rugby league hotbed.

Going to watch The Dons at Batley in 1994 for the promotion decider pretty much clinched it for me. Less so for my youngest brother; my dad dropped him from his shoulders when we scored the winning try and he ended up following Huddersfield.

Good to see a fair few non-heartlanders responding - if nothing else, it'll annoy Garry Schofield! :D

Saw visiting PNG team training on the Stray in front of the old Granby Hotel in Harrogate before test series which prompted my interest. I'd never seen men that were as wide as they were tall before!

In my case being a classmate of Paul Vautin and Paul McCabe at a Brisbane Catholic boys high school helped. I was only good enough for the second XIII but did manage to get on the bench for the firsts as a winger. I know I got on the field a few times but all I can definitely remember is chickening out of diving into the corner for a try - caught a glimpse of, or heard, or imagined, cover defenders - lining my ribs up. After two concussions I retired from playing the game and took up aussie rules and drinking XXXX.

Life is a strange journey: since moving to London in 1997 I've adjusted to many things. I am coping with this interminable winter fairly well but I'll never get used to the notion of the greatest game of all being a minority sport. Really looking forward to the Wembley double header WC semi finals in November. Come on England!!

Just a few yeas ago. Happened to stumble accross a highlights reel of ireland vs tonga on the bbc website . Remember being blown away by the physicality and skill level. Hooked since then. Cant wait to see my first live game at the world cup.

Most of you have the choice of soccer or rugby league.  If you went for soccer, it would mean you were wrong in the head.

If I was not so involved with an amateur club who need me right now I would probably give up watching Rugby League. I have always loved to travel and see new places but am one of them people who needs to go to a place for a reason. Although I gave up watching football 32 years ago I would like to vist as many different grounds as I could. EG Hamilton Academicals, Wick Academy, Brora Rangers, Yeovil, Bideford, Atherton, Harrogate Town etc, etc. etc.

We lived equal distance from 2 great grounds, Station Road and The Willows. My brother had started watching RL when he went to high school. Most of the kids at school supported Swinton so he chose Salford. He allowed me to tag along as a kid, and instantly got hooked.

Now some 40 years on still suffering, I once said I wouldn't go to Wembley unless Salford got there..... Still waiting.

Just a few yeas ago. Happened to stumble accross a highlights reel of ireland vs tonga on the bbc website . Remember being blown away by the physicality and skill level. Hooked since then. Cant wait to see my first live game at the world cup.

Welcome to the forum hoff. Now you've found us don't be a stranger.

I went to my first RL match in the 70,s Hull FC v Swinton i was working at the time in Holland on a pirate radio station (Radio North Sea International) and we had 7 days off the boat, the company who did the tender (Supplies) had a trip to Hull to deliver some spare parts to a fishing company so 3/4 of us went along for a laugh.

We went to watch Hull FC on the day we arrived and in the evening to scamps disco.

In 1980 Fulham joined and i have been a fan ever since:)

CM

Scamps :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

A lad who turns out to he one of my very good friends playing in our ncl side now was coaching a local undercliffe under 15s side, was playing football with a few lads and he said to me you fancy playing rugby? I laughed and said no chance! His reply was train tonight and Thursday, we have a friendly against Dudley hill on Sunday and if you don't enjoy it I won't bother you again!

That Dudley hill u15s was a superb side with a few future pros in! We were getting beat 96 nil after 60 mins! Ref blew up and god knows why I stayed involved but definitely glad I did!!

I was brought up within spitting distance of Watersheddings, me dad watched Oldham from the 20s until the 60s, I'd a cousin who'd had a trial at Huddersfield in the early 50s and another who played for Oldham A, so I suppose it was in the blood and an obvious choice, but one I've never regretted.

Me dad told me me first game was when I was about 4, watching me cousin play for Oldham St Annes at the Atheltic Grounds in the first round of the cup, but I don't remember that at all. I first started watching, on and off, in the 1961-62 season (saw Brian Bevan score a wonder try at Sheddings) and then really got interested in the following season. That was the first season of two divisions and, guess what, we were relegated. Some would say that, apart from the odd successes, things aint changed that much! Still watching now at wonderful Whitebank, but it's getting more and more painful, considering some of the quality I've watched previously, but I live in hope, which is pretty much all we have left.

First played it at Exeter University. I'm a born and bred Leicestershire Rugby Union man. But having discovered RL at university I now think it is the best sport in the world.

Well we have had this before so here goe's.I wa 8 years old and us kids of that age used to go the Saturday mattinee's at the LIDO on Bramley town street.It was 1955 and we saw big crowds of men in flat caps an garbidine macs walking down Town street so we followed down to the Barley Mow paid sixpence to see Bramley play Huddersfield.My mates dad was a big Leeds fan and took us to Headingley the following week.There was older lads too on our street on the Broadlea's who had moved into the area from Burley road and Kirkstall road which were in the Leeds rl catchment area,and we started going to headingley with them.There was only one rl school, in Bramley,and we didnt oto itwpayed football at school and RL at home and Elland road was too far.I grew up supporting both Leeds and Bramley

Free ' complimentary  ' tickets given out at school to the RL team , usually for the floodlit trophy matches but also if I remember correctly Leigh playing the touring Kiwi's in a midweek match

Have supported Leigh ever since although not always watched regularily , at the moment not attending matches due to several reasons both with the game in general , but also due to inept club management

Would like to think I will start attending Championship matches again in the future

Free ' complimentary  ' tickets given out at school to the RL team , usually for the floodlit trophy matches but also if I remember correctly Leigh playing the touring Kiwi's in a midweek match

Have supported Leigh ever since although not always watched regularily , at the moment not attending matches due to several reasons both with the game in general , but also due to inept club management

Would like to think I will start attending Championship matches again in the future

I'd say that underlines it all. :)

I'd say that underlines it all. :)

Mmmmm , yes it seems I pressed something i shouldn't , still learning on here for a while before I get sorted