Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolford6

Great British Class Test

13 posts in this topic

This has got quite a bit of media publicity today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

At first it appeared to me that

(1) 'No wonder the BBC is so out of touch; they class me as Traditional Middle Class'.

:O.

(2) I'm going to have to up my scrumpy intake and start watching soap operas pretty sharpish

:lol:

(3) Actually, it seems a pretty useless survey because it doesn't consider: -

- what TV and Radio programmes you like

- what educational qualifications you have

- whether or not you are self-employed, employed, retired or out of work

- what was the size of your family when you were a child

- what age you are

However, this is just a snapshot summary and, if you persevere through a different BBC-trail, the actual test is more detailed

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/labuk/experiments/class/

MY RESULTS

You scored 67.8/100 for economic capital

Your financial resources are higher than the average person in the UK.

This surprised me. My children will be phoning me about this before the day is out.

You scored 100/100 for social capital

Your social network is wider than the average person in the UK.

This didn't surprise me

You scored 90/100 for cultural capital

Your range of cultural interests is broader than the average person in the UK.

This slightly surprised me, but doesn't say much for the average Briton.

Your 'coat-of-arms'

We’ve used your results to create a fun, personalised 'coat-of-arms'.

It's got a beer glass, a coffee cup, a tree, an athlete and a strange two-fingered (index and little) hand signal on it.

Sounds about right.

:D

Not happy about the crown on the top of the shield though!!

Established middle class 'for mine'. Not a surprise to me although to my grandparents and their parents who worked damn hard to put me there it might be a source of satisfaction.

Did the Wolford test too:

You scored 91/100 for economic capital

Your financial resources are higher than the average person in the UK.

You scored 70/100 for social capital

Your social network is wider than the average person in the UK.

You scored 100/100 for cultural capital

Your range of cultural interests is broader than the average person in the UK.

Had a look at it, and if that survey's what they used to get their results, those results are pretty useless.

I did this yesterday and was classed as 'established middle class' :O. Chuffing not, I'm bloody working class through and through me. Not sure about this as we don't take home a great deal and live in a house worth far below the national average.

Chuffing not, I'm bloody working class through and through me. Not sure about this as we don't take home a great deal and live in a house worth far below the national average.

:D Behave! If you want us to believe that you need to start posting fewer photos of your shiny mid-life crisis car on FB.

'Joshua, I'm afraid you are wrong as multiplication is performed first. I lecture on mathematics at university.'

New Affluent Worker for me.....though there's nothing "affluent" about me.....I see this as a sort of upper working class which is prob about right for my background

:D Behave! If you want us to believe that you need to start posting fewer photos of your shiny mid-life crisis car on FB.

'Joshua, I'm afraid you are wrong as multiplication is performed first. I lecture on mathematics at university.'

Fewer posts, you mean the one I put up over a year ago of my 12 year old car :P. The comment you quoted (which by quoting it here you have infringed the FB terms and conditions) was in response to someone saying that anyone who disagreed with them obviously hadn't passed first grade 'math'. Those who I've friended on FB can see what I post, please don't paste them on here, you never know where people have been.

Elite - it must be the impact of growing up in Huddersfield! B)  Or it could be the cultural capital bit.

Had a look at it, and if that survey's what they used to get their results, those results are pretty useless.

agreed

but fr the record: technical middle class, more or less what I expected to b fair.

I did this yesterday and was classed as 'established middle class' :O. Chuffing not, I'm bloody working class through and through me. Not sure about this as we don't take home a great deal and live in a house worth far below the national average.

A Lancashire house, yesterday. :happy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304429/Britains-cheapest-terrace-home-sale-just-1-000--stripped-inside-little-shell.html