Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blind side johnny

A pedant writes

11 posts in this topic

In Sunday's programme the editor commented that a programme in 1973 cost 5p (1/-) and contained only a couple of pages of writing together with 8 pages of adverts, hence making the current programme excellent value for money. Just for information 5p in 1973 is equivalent to 52p today, somwhat of a gap between the £2.50 cost of Sunday's programme.

I'm just saying.

Ours is great value johnny,  at just one English pound

Yes english. The scots have their own Scottish pound and the Bank of England issues the English pound. The Welsh economy is based on leeks I believe and there are 4.2 Leeks to the pound currently after a slight rally.

Interestingly, English bank notes aren't legal tender in Scotland or Norn Iron.   In fact, no bank notes are.  If somebody insists legal tender, you have to pay with coins.

Yet another useless fact .........

Interestingly, English bank notes aren't legal tender in Scotland or Norn Iron.   In fact, no bank notes are.  If somebody insists legal tender, you have to pay with coins.

Yet another useless fact .........

Not much going on in your lives

Yes english. The scots have their own Scottish pound and the Bank of England issues the English pound. The Welsh economy is based on leeks I believe and there are 4.2 Leeks to the pound currently after a slight rally.

Class!!!!

In Sunday's programme the editor commented that a programme in 1973 cost 5p (1/-) and contained only a couple of pages of writing together with 8 pages of adverts, hence making the current programme excellent value for money. Just for information 5p in 1973 is equivalent to 52p today, somwhat of a gap between the £2.50 cost of Sunday's programme.

I'm just saying.

I wasn't sure how you worked out that 5p in 1973 is the equivalent of 52p, but according to my calculations that's the equivalent of an average annual rate of inflation of 6.0%, so given the values of RPI in the '70s and early 80's, I think you're there or thereabouts.

Coincidentally my (seven year old) daughter's bed-time reading this week has been "Paddington Marches On," bought in 1974 for 30p. Today it can be bought from Amazon for £3.74 - an average rate of inflation of 6.68% - which would result in a Dewsbury programme costing around 67p.

For entertainment and value for money I'd stick with Paddington, BSJ.   :)     

I wasn't sure how you worked out that 5p in 1973 is the equivalent of 52p, but according to my calculations that's the equivalent of an average annual rate of inflation of 6.0%, so given the values of RPI in the '70s and early 80's, I think you're there or thereabouts.

Coincidentally my (seven year old) daughter's bed-time reading this week has been "Paddington Marches On," bought in 1974 for 30p. Today it can be bought from Amazon for £3.74 - an average rate of inflation of 6.68% - which would result in a Dewsbury programme costing around 67p.

For entertainment and value for money I'd stick with Paddington, BSJ.   :)

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html