Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marklaspalmas

30 YEARS ON: The Story of Wembley 1983

40 posts in this topic

Put loads of differents fans' memories of Wembley 83 on the blog today. It makes some good reading!

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/the-story-of-wembley-1983-part-xi.html

Many thanks to:

Terry Mullaney
Mick Bourke
Andy Knight
Janet Jennings
John Dyson
Joanne Fitzpatrick
Alan Bedworth
Nigel Harper
Andrew Vause.
fitzy
Stratobill
Maureen T-k
Sharon Jordan
Paul Gibbins
Al Jefferson
Mark Butler

Thanks Mark for putting that together, you really do a great job in bringing memories back.

I was only 7 in 1983 and my Dad took me to my first game which was the Wigan draw before the cup final. Unfortunately my Dad went with his mates to the final and left me at home to witness the game on TV. This is a decision which I never let him forget but to be fair to my Dad he did not know what was round the corner and always felt that more cup finals would come our wa.

When I always look back at our history, especially the 70's it is always with a touch of sadness that it happened just before my time. If I am honest I can't see us ever returning to the Wembley again and the closest I came was in 95 V Leeds but I won't ever stop believing.

Thanks Mark for putting that together, you really do a great job in bringing memories back.I was only 7 in 1983 and my Dad took me to my first game which was the Wigan draw before the cup final. Unfortunately my Dad went with his mates to the final and left me at home to witness the game on TV. This is a decision which I never let him forget but to be fair to my Dad he did not know what was round the corner and always felt that more cup finals would come our wa.When I always look back at our history, especially the 70's it is always with a touch of sadness that it happened just before my time. If I am honest I can't see us ever returning to the Wembley again and the closest I came was in 95 V Leeds but I won't ever stop believing.

Ian, if you read my badly written piece just above, the last paragraph is aimed at people such as your good self.

This is my first ever post on the forum and it is to congratulate you on two things, First the wonderful memories of 83 of which I could write a book. Secondly and perhaps more importantly this topic has inspired me to renew my support and bring along my grandson on Sunday. It is 20years since I moved down to rural Lincolnshire with my work and where I am now retired. I was a season ticket holder from 1962 to the forming of Super League which left me devastated however, I am excited and enthused again and look forward to a pint in the clubhouse and cheering the lads on to great win. Again thank you for your great topic,I must admit it brought many a happy tear to my eyes.

This is my first ever post on the forum and it is to congratulate you on two things, First the wonderful memories of 83 of which I could write a book. Secondly and perhaps more importantly this topic has inspired me to renew my support and bring along my grandson on Sunday. It is 20years since I moved down to rural Lincolnshire with my work and where I am now retired. I was a season ticket holder from 1962 to the forming of Super League which left me devastated however, I am excited and enthused again and look forward to a pint in the clubhouse and cheering the lads on to great win. Again thank you for your great topic,I must admit it brought many a happy tear to my eyes.

Welcome to the forum, and an even bigger welcome back to planet Fev

that's great. welcome back

Ian, if you read my badly written piece just above, the last paragraph is aimed at people such as your good self.

Andrew, I loved reading your piece. Just really fantastic memories.

When I put the game on at home the hairs on the back of head still stand up when the players come out of the tunnel. Like you said they were 15 working class men and they were walking out to take on a team of internationals on the biggest RL stage. How proud must they have been? I would have loved to have been there but I always try and take the positives out of everything. The club as still given me 30 years of great memories and have contributed to the person I am today. I would not change that for anything.

Brilliant stuff, welcome home.

This is my first ever post on the forum and it is to congratulate you on two things, First the wonderful memories of 83 of which I could write a book. Secondly and perhaps more importantly this topic has inspired me to renew my support and bring along my grandson on Sunday. It is 20years since I moved down to rural Lincolnshire with my work and where I am now retired. I was a season ticket holder from 1962 to the forming of Super League which left me devastated however, I am excited and enthused again and look forward to a pint in the clubhouse and cheering the lads on to great win. Again thank you for your great topic,I must admit it brought many a happy tear to my eyes.

Really great, I came back after a ten year hiatus, because of the forum. Nice to hear positives. Great work by Mark.

Welcome back rusky bring plenty of cash with you as I am sure you will want to buy your grandson a Fev shirt to take home and show off to his mam and dad :-) enjoy the game it should be a cracker.

Welcome back Rusky, I too got my first season ticket in 1962 at a time when Rovers had a team to match anyone. And I too stopped coming after a while, my support dwindled from '95 to a total walk-away after the '98 GF. But I brought my 6-year-old grandson in 2002 and have been a regular again ever since.

It's very encouraging that former fans keep on drifting back, but what's more important is that they bring their kids and grandkids with them, these are the supporters of tomorrow! 

A great occasion. Hanley's try was incredible, he was playing in the centres that day, the pace and power which he exhibited was a precursor to his Wigan days.

Marsden had been immense in his role as a right winger, in this and the previous round. If I remember correctly he'd been converted to right winger by Allan Agar, from full back. Gilbert also was immense only to have his final ruined.

The pack was formidable as good as any in the league that year.

Another memory I have was watching the last few minutes from pitch level ( in anticipation of running on after the final hooter) and thinking that David Smith the Bradford winger had scored a try at the side of the posts which would have set up a simple equalising kick.

I've watched this back on TV many times since and still think that he must score, but for the remarkable effort of Pete Smith and Keith Bell with an impossible last ditch tackle.

Alex Murphy's classic rubbish in the commentary. On Rovers' second try. "That's Alan Hudson to Nigel Banks......"

"Tremendous strength by the 19 stone prop Ray Hankins ( Mick Gibbins) using his 16 stone ........"

what a caber thrower?

Mark I am almost 100% sure both the Saints and Bradford games were not shown either live or in their entirety by the BBC.

In Eddie Waring's days they used to show brief highlights of the first half and then the second half live and in full.

When the wordsmith Ray French took over in 1981/2 the BBC had a policy of showing delayed edited highlights of both halves but after

an early 2.15 kick off.

I went to the Batley game at Wakey - the terraces were lethal, I remember a copper slipping and falling and everyone laughing, and I waent to Salford

I was at the Saints game and remember Johnny Gilbert scoring. I missed the semi. I went to a very posh wedding in London which had been booked long before Fev got  though.  It was held at the Middle Temple Church and the reception was at the Savoy no less.  I went to pick up the car from the church to collect my wife and in laws from the Savoy and was actually driving along the Strand when I heard the result, I was so elated I missed the turning and had to go right across the Thames and back - they were waiting for me and I'd been gone about an hour!  My explanation was not satisfactory!

Very good piece on the 1983 final on BBC Rugby League page at the moment. Apologies if it has already been mentioned.

Very good piece on the 1983 final on BBC Rugby League page at the moment. Apologies if it has already been mentioned.

It is a good article, and nice of him to put a link to my blog on there.