Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

our international team almost 20 years on

81 posts in this topic

gb 94 rating rating

1 j.davies 9 v 1. s.tomkins 9

2 j.robinson 10 v r.hall 8

3 g.connolly 9 v k.watkins 7

4 a hunye 8 v l.cudjoe 7

5 m.offiah 10 v j charnley 8

6 d.powell 8 v k.sinfield 8

7 s.edwards 10 v r.myler 7

8 k.harrison 8.5 v c.hill 7.5

9 jackson 7.5 v j.roby 8.5

10 c.joynt 8.5 v l.mossop 7.5

11 d.betts 8.5 v g.hock 9

12 a.farrell 10 v l.farrel 8

13 p clarke 7.5 v s.o loughlin 8.5

14 b.goulding 8 v r.burrow 8.5

15b.mc dermott 9 v jj buchanen 6

16 bateman 7 v hardaker 7

17 cassidy 8 v mc illorum 8

146.5 points v 132.5 points

DISCLAIMER these ratings are based on the judgement of mr bedlam breakout only, please feel free to give your own- a probable modern day england line up was used to represent the comparison, no international players were hurt during the making of this thread , thankyou.

J.Davies isn't one of 'ours', us being the English so I don't accept his inclusion for this comparison. Also discount Connolly, Cassidy and McDermott (Irish) and Bateman (Welsh).  

There's also no Burgess, Graham, Widdop and Westwood in there. I very much doubt the England team will look like that!

J.Davies isn't one of 'ours', us being the English so I don't accept his inclusion for this comparison. Also discount Connolly, Cassidy and McDermott (Irish) and Bateman (Welsh).

its our international line up today in comparison

There's also no Burgess, Graham, Widdop and Westwood in there. I very much doubt the England team will look like that!

when was last time burgess played for england? its just to compare how we are,players from then would have been left out or injured just as they will these days.

What a GB back line that was in 94', apart from hunte and Powell I would class them all as worldclass, if we are ever going to challenge Australia and now the kiwis we need pace, flair and creativity like we had in the early 90's. Who was the coach back then, phil larder?

What a GB back line that was in 94', apart from hunte and Powell I would class them all as worldclass, if we are ever going to challenge Australia and now the kiwis we need pace, flair and creativity like we had in the early 90's. Who was the coach back then, phil larder?

I never rated Powell as more than a solid centre yet he's one of GB's most capped players.

Your team is absolutely insane, the England team is never going to be that lets be honest. Also it's hard to compare generations so easily.

My England team would be and I'll rate it in respect to the best players in the world at their position would get a 10. For example Smith would get a ten at hooker and everyone would be judged off that.

Sam Tomkins - 9

Ryan Hall - 10

Jack Reed - 7

Kallum Watkins - 8

Josh Charnley - 9

Gareth Widdop - 8.5

Danny Brough - 7.5 or Kev both the same

James Graham - 10 (pretty much same as other best props)

Roby - 8

Luke Burgess - 8

Gareth Ellis - 8.5

Ben Westwood - 9

Sam Burgess - 9.5

Burrow - 8

Crabtree - 8.5

G Burgess - 8.5

Gareth Hock - 9.5 (at his best)

You cant judge through generations so easily

How they stack up against other teams from this generation is more interesting and nostalgia taints things somewhat. These world class players from twenty years ago never won a series or a world cup. Something this generation may yet do.

What a strange bench you picked for the current team.

Anyway, instead of looking at 20 years back where we had quality players all across the pitch, look at this team compared to the '08 WCSF losing team. This one blows it off the park IMO.

you've been very kind to Hunte, Harrison and Joynt. And a very harsh on Lee Jackson and Phil Clarke, two players who were much better than the three you've rated higher..

Where's Paul newlove and Gary schoefield in that 94' side?

Bit of rose tinted marking there too,

Good as Robinson was he wasn't worth a 10

Neither was Offiah if only for his poor defence

Connolly was solid but never a 9, he could only dream of Avignon Watkins attacking prowess

Edwards was OK. At international level and no more

Also I don't know much about the 94 side (I wasn't born then) but from looking at the 'current' side there is a clear Wigan bias.

Mcillorum gets an 8 whilst Watkins, Hardaker, Myler all get lower. Also Hall wouldn't get the same mark as Charnley. Farrel, O Loughlin, Mossop starting ahead of Westwood, Burgess and Graham also is abit rose tinted.

The OP uses 1994 as a point of comparison, at which time Connolly, Cassidy and McDermott were available for England selection.

All three played in the European Championship decider for England against Wales in 1996.

Just to keep everything real, let's just assume that all Australian players are 20's.

Well Hannibal, there is no way Edwards was a 10 at Test level is there?

He could not get a run on spot at Balmain FFS.

Edited for accuracy.

Well Hannibal, there is no way Edwards was a 10 at Test level is there?

He could not get a run on spot at Illawarra FFS.

Was Edwards at Illawarra? I know he went to Balmain but can't recall him at Illawarra. Hampson and Gregory were at Illawarra.

Was Edwards at Illawarra? I know he went to Balmain but can't recall him at Illawarra. Hampson and Gregory were at Illawarra.

Sorry, you are right Pom, it was Balmain.

well he played 12 games for balmain and he was only there for 3 months tops....so your statement seems abit wrong andy :lol:

well he played 12 games for balmain and he was only there for 3 months tops....so your statement seems abit wrong andy :lol:

Which part is wrong Spud?

He was there for 12 games and played 7 from the Bench, including the last 6 games.

Hardly a Test level 10/10 rating record is it?

"Run on team" means the players that start the game on the field not from the Bench

I'm given to understand that England were finalists in the 2011 four nations.

It's impossible for UK Rugby League to be as  good as Aus RugbyLeague because of the different status the sport has there.

However it is possible to challenge them in  competition, mayb even overcome them.

When David Waite was GB coach, he was my neighbou rand we used to talk footy, although I didn't push it. He saw the problem from the point of view of peak performance-remember it as GB and  three match series. To win the comp you hd to reach peak performance twice. GB could only do it once phsiologically and psychologically, although they did come near and still do. I'm looking forward to seeing if they can o it in thsi world cup, although the challenge is diferent to a test series.

gb 94 rating rating

1 j.davies 9 v 1. s.tomkins 9

2 j.robinson 10 v r.hall 8

3 g.connolly 9 v k.watkins 7

4 a hunye 8 v l.cudjoe 7

5 m.offiah 10 v j charnley 8

6 d.powell 8 v k.sinfield 8

7 s.edwards 10 v r.myler 7

8 k.harrison 8.5 v c.hill 7.5

9 jackson 7.5 v j.roby 8.5

10 c.joynt 8.5 v l.mossop 7.5

11 d.betts 8.5 v g.hock 9

12 a.farrell 10 v l.farrel 8

13 p clarke 7.5 v s.o loughlin 8.5

14 b.goulding 8 v r.burrow 8.5

15b.mc dermott 9 v jj buchanen 6

16 bateman 7 v hardaker 7

17 cassidy 8 v mc illorum 8

146.5 points v 132.5 points

DISCLAIMER these ratings are based on the judgement of mr bedlam breakout only, please feel free to give your own- a probable modern day england line up was used to represent the comparison, no international players were hurt during the making of this thread , thankyou.

We should remove the Aussie element of this debate - surely this thread is comparing GB/England teams?

Using your own markings as the benchmark I'd go:

Tomkins - 10

Hall - 10

Watkins - 7.5

Atkins - 7.5

Briscoe/Charnley - 8.5

Sinfield - 8.5

Chase - 7.5

Burgess - 9

Roby - 8.5

Graham - 9.5

Westwood - 9

Hock - 9

O'Loughlin - 8.5

Widdop - 8

Hill - 8

Farrell - 8.5

G Burgess - 8

So i'd rate this team as 145.5 - and tbh I'd question one or two of your ratings.

I actually think it's pretty close. People remember the likes of Edwards and Robinson fondly - I suspect when Sinfield and Hall retire they will have an extra point added to their scores in exercises like this!

Is it worth pointing out that bar 1 match, that 1994 side got pretty comfortably beaten?