Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

our international team almost 20 years on

81 posts in this topic

Offiah was probably the most exciting player of my lifetime. However, I seriously doubt the impact he would have on the game today. It has changed so much. When Offiah scored his 45 tries in a single season, on average there was just over 42 points a game scored in the top division.

Since the start of Super League only two players (Vainakolo and Charnley) has topped the try scoring charts with more than 30 tries in a season. Most end somewhere in the 20's and have even been under 20. This is made all the more remarkable since there are now on average more points scored per game, 53 being last season's total. Therefore, if Offiah played today and he took the same percentage of points as he did, he would have ended the year on 56 tries!

He was good but I think it suggests that the game has changed too. Teams certainly seem to ship it out to the wing less often than they used to and defences have inevitably become better and more structured.

I don't think it is just age that accounts for him moving from easily more than a try a game to less than 1 in 2 in his later years.

I'm not 100% sure I agree with that MD.

Looking back at a couple of years where Offiah played for Wigan:

91-92 - he scored 30 tries in 15 games - although it should be noted he scored 15 of those in two games!

92-93 - 30 tries in 38 games

93-94 - 35 in 34

94-95 - 53 in 38

The above was him playing in a very strong team - whilst there a couple of freak efforts in there - 94/95 for example - in general he scored just over a try a game. 

Josh Charnley has a try a game (85 tries in 84 games)

Joel Monaghan at Wire is almost at the level in the Uk game

Vainikolo finished his Bulls career with 150 tries in the same number of games

I think Offiah would have a better record than any of these players - I would still expect him to be bagging over 30 tries a year with fewer games, providing he was in the right teams.

I'm not 100% sure I agree with that MD.

Looking back at a couple of years where Offiah played for Wigan:

91-92 - he scored 30 tries in 15 games - although it should be noted he scored 15 of those in two games!

92-93 - 30 tries in 38 games

93-94 - 35 in 34

94-95 - 53 in 38

The above was him playing in a very strong team - whilst there a couple of freak efforts in there - 94/95 for example - in general he scored just over a try a game. 

Josh Charnley has a try a game (85 tries in 84 games)

Joel Monaghan at Wire is almost at the level in the Uk game

Vainikolo finished his Bulls career with 150 tries in the same number of games

I think Offiah would have a better record than any of these players - I would still expect him to be bagging over 30 tries a year with fewer games, providing he was in the right teams.

yes your spot on with those comments, seem to remember wingers coming in and "looking for work" more in the offiah days, even in their own half, knowing they had the speed advantage on tired forwards legs. does that happen as much now?

yes your spot on with those comments, seem to remember wingers coming in and "looking for work" more in the offiah days, even in their own half, knowing they had the speed advantage on tired forwards legs. does that happen as much now?

Wingers still do a lot of work - especially coming away from their own line - a little like Offiah when he scored his try in the Wembley final v Leeds.

I never rated Powell as more than a solid centre yet he's one of GB's most capped players.

powell was an unsung hero he was what was needed a great tackler brilliant in defence which we needed when playing the aussies.

powell was an unsung hero he was what was needed a great tackler brilliant in defence which we needed when playing the aussies.

Maybe he was just the best of a bad bunch at the time.

for me our golden era was 1990 to 1992 when the rl went for it playing test matches in big stadium some of our players then were world class schofield , jackson, betts , hanley ,offiah . 1990 GB 19 v 12 AUS wembley 54,569, 2nd test GB 10 V 14 AUS  old trafford 46,615 3rd test Gb 0 v 14 AUS elland rd 32,500.World cup final 1992 GB 6 V AUS 10 WEMBLEY 73,631 what a great day that was fantastic match edge of seat stuff.