Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EastLondonMike

Andy Powell to Wigan..

50 posts in this topic

Just seen a few things on Twitter (where else) from a few people close to the Wigan club suggesting aAndy Powell (Welsh union back row) is likely to be switching codes and signing with Wigan in the very near future..

Anyone else seen or heard anything about this?..

Would be a possible boost for Wales in World Cup year.

tweet from Phil Wilkinson of the Wigan Onserver "Will be asking the questions later but it looks like RU star Andy Powell is to become Wigan's first signing of 2013."

Edit: also on the Dialy mail website: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2305152/Andy-Powell-switches-union-league-joining-Wigan-Sale.html

Hope not. 31 is a bit old to be trying to learn a new game. 

Celtic Crusaders virtually signed him in 2008. He reached an agreement and was going to join the club at the end of the 2008-09 rugby union season but then he got picked for Wales RU and the deal was off. I wonder how different things would have been if that had happened.

Isn't this the guy that got fined and dropped from the national team for stealing a hotel golf buggy?

Would love to see George north and James hook follow, maybe the cashed up NRL clubs could sign a few Welshmen.

im quite intrigued to see how he goes.. have never seen him play but RU friends of mine have always said of all the union back rowers knocking about in the UK, he was one he would probably suit RL more than most.

Could be good for South Wales Scorpions also in Wigan shipped him down there for a few matches.

I've seen a lot of him playing for Sale and, despite his age, he'll make a fairly seamless shift.

Most likely as an impact prop. I'd certainly have him at Salford.

I'm interested to see how he'd go in RL.

Good RU player and I don't see him struggling to adapt. 

Watched him a lot as i am a fan of both codes. Good pace power and aggression. Will be a good league player if it comes off.

I've seen a lot of him playing for Sale and, despite his age, he'll make a fairly seamless shift.

Most likely as an impact prop. I'd certainly have him at Salford.

salford would have my 88 year old mum if she didn't have a bad knee :D

Dr Koukash wants to know jus how bad is her knee?

im quite intrigued to see how he goes.. have never seen him play but RU friends of mine have always said of all the union back rowers knocking about in the UK, he was one he would probably suit RL more than most.

Could be good for South Wales Scorpions also in Wigan shipped him down there for a few matches.

Excellent point about the Scorpions. They couldn't afford him themselves but they get all the benefit anyway!

1. He'd make a very good superleague prop or second row.

2. He's 31

3. He's played for seven clubs plus Wales. He's had fallouts with several of them.

I preferred him when he played for wishbone ash!

He often has quite a berserk look on his face, which could work to his advantage.

Would be very surprised if at this late stage he turned out to be a top drawer prop.

1. He'd make a very good superleague prop or second row.

2. He's 31

3. He's played for seven clubs plus Wales. He's had fallouts with several of them.

Also RU players nowadays are professional so the step up should be easier than it was before SL

Well, let's hope he behaves himself.