Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

Thatcher - Has passed away.

407 posts in this topic

Unfortunately most of the those UK produced cars would generally be recognised as German or Japanese on the road.

You are absolutely correct in what you say about unions and management.

However, it is no longer as easy to allocate nationalities to vehicle brands as it once was. The best thing we have imported are some of the management practices from these companies but much design work is carried out here. The original Mazda MX -5 was designed in Brighton, and Nissan's European Technical Centre is at Cranfield. The Nissan Qashqai, with around 1,000,000 sold, was styled at Nissan Design Europe in London, designed at Cranfield and made in Sunderland.

I was down at Red Bull Racing recently - 700 employees in Milton Keynes, and an annual  budget of £400 million..and most F1 teams are based here - Lotus, Catereham, Williams,McLaren

Wirth Research  in Bicester design and make Le Mans cars  under the label of a major Japanese/US car company....

Then look at Fairline Boats, Sunseeker, Olesinski, Shuttleworth..all manufacturers of some really high and expensive prestige boats

and so on.

For every supporter you will find a detractor and several attention-seekers who will probably try some half-baked publicity stunt.

Divisive maybe but not equally divisive, I think. And yes, I share L'Anges concern about the amount of my money that will be spend on her funeral

However, it is no longer as easy to allocate nationalities to vehicle brands as it once was. The best thing we have imported are some of the management practices from these companies but much design work is carried out here. The original Mazda MX -5 was designed in Brighton, and Nissan's European Technical Centre is at Cranfield. The Nissan Qashqai, with around 1,000,000 sold, was styled at Nissan Design Europe in London, designed at Cranfield and made in Sunderland.

I was down at Red Bull Racing recently - 700 employees in Milton Keynes, and an annual  budget of £400 million..and most F1 teams are based here - Lotus, Catereham, Williams,McLaren

Wirth Research  in Bicester design and make Le Mans cars  under the label of a major Japanese/US car company....

The fact remains that there are basically no British car manufacturers. There are Japanese and German car manufacturers with factories in Britain. There are German, Indian and Chinese car manufacturers which own traditionally British brands. But there is no significant British based car manufacturer any more. Sad, but true.

F1 cars are different. Britain leads the world in manufacturing high end racing cars. Which is probably an annual output of 100 cars.

Incidentally, a good friend of mine used to work for an F1 team on the engineering side in the pit. Interesting lady, plenty of tales to tell.

Personally I think it is madness to organise a big public funeral for such a clearly divisive figure. For every supporter you will find a detractor, and whichever side of that particular fence you sit, the potential for trouble is huge when such polarised views are given a platform on which to clash, particularly a live televised platform at that. Then there's the matter of who picks up the bill in these straightened times...

This is a good point it will be like an orange parade but 100 times more polarised

I think I'm right in saying that for the past twenty years the UK's biggest British car manufacturer was Manganese Bronze, which produced the London Taxi. it went bust in 2012 and is now owned by a Chinese consortium.

The fact remains that there are basically no British car manufacturers. There are Japanese and German car manufacturers with factories in Britain. There are German, Indian and Chinese car manufacturers which own traditionally British brands. But there is no significant British based car manufacturer any more. Sad, but true.

F1 cars are different. Britain leads the world in manufacturing high end racing cars. Which is probably an annual output of 100 cars.

Incidentally, a good friend of mine used to work for an F1 team on the engineering side in the pit. Interesting lady, plenty of tales to tell.

I don't see it as sad

british people makimng quality products that people all over the world want to buy.

If I remember rightly it was only /BMCBritish Leyland that was British: check out their products.

vauhall american

ford american

rootes american

Says it all, really. She really did get the children she deserved.

:dry:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2306214/Margaret-Thatcher-dead-Carol-Mark-fly-funeral.html

Says what exactly?

They prefer to grieve for their dead mother in private rather than in a goldfish bowl?

Do you think they should parade their sorrow for your entertainment?

I think they should come back and take a part in organising her funeral and affairs.

I think they should come back and take a part in organising her funeral and affairs.

Would it be asking to much to expect them to pay for their parent's funeral like the rest of us have to?

Says what exactly?

They prefer to grieve for their dead mother in private rather than in a goldfish bowl?

Do you think they should parade their sorrow for your entertainment?

that's a fair point

although Mark Thatcher made a highly lucrative career out of parading the fact that he was her son when she was alive.

Would it be asking to much to expect them to pay for their parent's funeral like the rest of us have to?

Yes, 

Whatever you think of her she's a former 3 times elected Prime Minister of the country, the first Woman Prime Minister of a European country and one of the most significant political figures in the UK of the late 20th century. The country should pay for the funeral as it should for any former PM.

I'm not advocating a full blown state funeral but pretty much every other country in the world will be sending representatives, probably the current or past head of state, this is not some small family occaion followed by coffee and fish paste sandwiches at Aunty Maureen's.

This is a good point it will be like an orange parade but 100 times more polarised

And that's why I'm going to be a day's pay down next week.  I'm not going into London then.

Details of her funeral - she's being cremated the final irony would be if the crematorium was coal fired

Yes, 

Whatever you think of her she's a former 3 times elected Prime Minister of the country, the first Woman Prime Minister of a European country and one of the most significant political figures in the UK of the late 20th century. The country should pay for the funeral as it should for any former PM.

I'm not advocating a full blown state funeral but pretty much every other country in the world will be sending representatives, probably the current or past head of state, this is not some small family occaion followed by coffee and fish paste sandwiches at Aunty Maureen's.

Yes, 

she wasnt elected prime minister: our democracy doesn't work tha way, although she did serve three terms

she did little if anything for the equality of women when she was in power.

she was indeed a significant political figure for all sorts of reasons.

she will indeed be having a full blown state funeral and probably more besides: and that is what people are objecting to

she wasnt elected prime minister: our democracy doesn't work tha way, although she did serve three terms

she will indeed be having a full blown state funeral and probably more besides: and that is what people are objecting to

She will not be having a state funeral, full blown or of any other sort.

She will be having something apparently called a ceremonial funeral, which is one rung down from a state funeral. It will be held at St Paul's.

You're right to say that she did little to promote the equality of women, but as one former Labour MP once said to me, admittedly a little ruefully, she did quite a lot to promote the superiority of women.

To be completely fair though, in our system although people vote for individual MPs it's the leader, their policies and the central party that counts.  Individuals still count but it's a very rare one who could walk away from their party colours and still win; Galloway, Livingston and that Welsh MP I can't remember are some of the rare exceptions.

It's fairly disingenuous to suggest that anything other than Thatcher won those elections, same with Blair winning his 3.  Same as it was Foot and Kinnock who lost in 83, 87 and 92 with IDS and Howard performing the same role for the Tories.

Yes, 

Shame

I think a quiet family gathering and a modest buffet would be a fine example to the country in these testing times.

She will be having something apparently called a ceremonial funeral, which is one rung down from a state funeral. It will be held at St Paul's.

You're right to say that she did little to promote the equality of women, but as one former Labour MP once said to me, admittedly a little ruefully, she did quite a lot to promote the superiority of women.

one down from a state funeral

well that sounds full blown and ruritanian enough for me

te comment you quote was beneath the woman who made it.

To be completely fair though, in our system although people vote for individual MPs it's the leader, their policies and the central party that counts.  Individuals still count but it's a very rare one who could walk away from their party colours and still win; Galloway, Livingston and that Welsh MP I can't remember are some of the rare exceptions.

It's fairly disingenuous to suggest that anything other than Thatcher won those elections, same with Blair winning his 3.  Same as it was Foot and Kinnock who lost in 83, 87 and 92 with IDS and Howard performing the same role for the Tories.

of course Craig I wsemerely being technical, but hopfully drawing up short of pedantry.

and your last comment is true as well, although asrguably Michael Foot had a hand in giving her the 1983 election.

of course Craig I wsemerely being technical, but hopfully drawing up short of pedantry.

and your last comment is true as well, although asrguably Michael Foot had a hand in giving her the 1983 election.

Arguably Galtieri had a bigger role...

I'm not sure that matters. We buy stuff from them...they buy stuff from us...and so it goes.   Red Bull I think makes five cars a year. each one costs in effect £50 million each. That is still £50 million mainly in the UK economy..and my business  get some of that.. indirectly and a tiny proportion.

Many year ago I was the account manager for a CAD company that supplied design systems to  what was then Vickers-owned Rolls Royce Motor Cars in Crewe. Around 1992 , production was 1700 units a year. Now, VW-owned Bentley Motors produces around 12,000 units at the same site and Rolls Royce are made by BMW at their new plant in Goodwood. but who owns BMW? who owns BAE Systems? What does "ownership" mean?

Arguably Galtieri had a bigger role...

yup, and the people who were sent down there to sort the mess out.

What's really quite interesting is how the most prominent reactions of that sort are coming from people who have actually been very positively affected by Thatcher throughout their careers. Comedians and various other celebrities who have made a comfortable career out of opposing what she supposedly stood for, even though some of them are too young to remember what life was like before she came to power.

A reasoned critique of Thatcher and her policies is one thing, and should be welcomed, but to spew out vile insults on Twitter or other social media, and to want to be seen to be doing that to curry favour with their supposed audience, is pathetic, in my view.

But dont you think all that all to wall non stop tributes on bbc were an actual smack in the face of poeple who suffered under her.It was like an airbrush of history.?