Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Thatcherism - The Political Debate Thread

329 posts in this topic

Will Blairs funeral cause the same amount furore , street parties and protests?

Will Blairs funeral cause the same amount furore , street parties and protests?

At least Cherie will be wearing a veil.

Remove barriers to the labour market and share jobs around more equitably. Too much protection of those with jobs.

I'm not sure that I agree that more technology necessarily means less employment.

so making it easier to put people out of work will produce more employment?   :blink:  :blink:

If he looks thoughtful during the service, my guess it will be because he's working out how he can make his funeral even more grandiose.

:D

Do you not find it ironic that the majority of the cost being borne by the taxpayer is for security measures against those who will protest against the cost ?

beyond irony

Whilst working in my last factory one lad was caught using drugs. From then on, everyone was subjected to random testing. With regard to false benefit claimants/unemployed, however small, it makes things worse for the rest. Like you said, the choice of words to describe the unemployed/benefit claimants was shameful, but it seems everyone gets herded into the same pen! It's much easier for such as the Government  to categorise as a whole, rather than back-up with statistics. 

Whilst out of work due to a wrist injury before Christmas, I had to attend a back to work interview, which came across as trickery: guilty until proved innocent. This type of interview has been confirmed by others. 

precisely

Do you not find it ironic that the majority of the cost being borne by the taxpayer is for security measures against those who will protest against the cost ?

So you're saying if it were someone less unpopular the security costs for this sort of major occasion would be negligible?  

Given that plans for this funeral were first discussed in 2005 and that all funerals of former PMs are paid for by the state, I don't see what the problem is with funding Thatcher's funeral.  I thought it was worth every penny.  It was a beautiful ceremony and thankfully, aside from one idiot who through something at the horses and a couple of boos around the same area, the crowd were very supportive and so the image of the country that was broadcast to the world was one of dignity and not petty vindictiveness. 

Amazing then that this exact same compensation culture exists all over the developed world. Perhaps it's Thatcher's fault that the whole first world is like this. Or maybe you think anything that happened after 1979 is Thatcher's fault by default.

Of course I don't.

Simply pointing out that in this country it was Thatcher who changed the rules to allow solicitors to do this.

It is illegal in America.

I'm always impressed by how creative some people can be who blame Thatcher for things that happen even after her death.

Apparently some bloke who lost his job with a local authority recently telephoned the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 today and blamed his loss directly on the person responsible - Margaret Thatcher, of course.

It's rather like the relatives of the 1,200 people who lost their lives in the Mid-Staffs NHS scandal blaming Clement Attlee.

When are we going to move on?

From blogger Andrew Sullivan: "She wanted to return Britain to the tradition of her thrifty, traditional father; instead she turned it into a country for the likes of her son, a wayward, money-making opportunist".

Given that plans for this funeral were first discussed in 2005 and that all funerals of former PMs are paid for by the state, I don't see what the problem is with funding Thatcher's funeral.  I thought it was worth every penny.  It was a beautiful ceremony and thankfully, aside from one idiot who through something at the horses and a couple of boos around the same area, the crowd were very supportive and so the image of the country that was broadcast to the world was one of dignity and not petty vindictiveness. 

The world seems to think her grandaughter is a bit of alright and not really noticed much else.

Given that plans for this funeral were first discussed in 2005 and that all funerals of former PMs are paid for by the state, I don't see what the problem is with funding Thatcher's funeral. I thought it was worth every penny. It was a beautiful ceremony and thankfully, aside from one idiot who through something at the horses and a couple of boos around the same area, the crowd were very supportive and so the image of the country that was broadcast to the world was one of dignity and not petty vindictiveness.

I'm sure it will be a treasured memory for you.

Happily it won't be for me as I managed to avoid it.

I don't recall a prime minister's funeral being on such a kitsch, ruritanian sycophantic scale since churchill's.

I'm always impressed by how creative some people can be who blame Thatcher for things that happen even after her death.

Apparently some bloke who lost his job with a local authority recently telephoned the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 today and blamed his loss directly on the person responsible - Margaret Thatcher, of course.

It's rather like the relatives of the 1,200 people who lost their lives in the Mid-Staffs NHS scandal blaming Clement Attlee.

When are we going to move on?

I hope we are going to move on as quickly as possible. But I doubt whether we will be allowed to for a fair while yet.

Your analogy with Attlee is all over the place I'm afraid Martyn.

The conduct of the people at mid staffs was against the ethos of the health service. The person, who rightly or wrongly blames thatcher for losing his/ her job is suggesting this was within the ethos she created.

I'm sure it will be a treasured memory for you.

Happily it won't be for me as I managed to avoid it.

I don't recall a prime minister's funeral being on such a kitsch, ruritanian sycophantic scale since churchill's.

I'm sure you said you managed to avoid it?  Therefore, how do you know it was what you suggested it was?

I hope we are going to move on as quickly as possible. But I doubt whether we will be allowed to for a fair while yet.

The conduct of the people at mid staffs was against the ethos of the health service. The person, who rightly or wrongly blames thatcher for losing his/ her job is suggesting this was within the ethos she created.

But it still wasn't her fault.  She's been out of office for 23 years. 

The world seems to think her grandaughter is a bit of alright and not really noticed much else.

I'm impressed that you've managed to get around the world so quickly!

I'm sure you said you managed to avoid it? Therefore, how do you know it was what you suggested it was?

Because the event has been previewed day after day minute detail by the media

My analogy was nothing to do with anyone's ethos.

It was about laying the blame where it doesn't belong.

Which, come to think of it, should be an ethos that no one should want to follow.

Good to see that you managed to avoid the funeral but, like Saintslass, I'm slightly surprised that you therefore know what it was like.

You should know from watching Rugby League that events don't always turn out in accordance with the previews.

But it still wasn't her fault. She's been out of office for 23 years.

Hence I said 'rightly or wrongly'

The person' s argument perhaps feels I repeat rightly or wrongly that he is a victim of her legacy

My post related to the inappositness of mr Sadler's reply

Previewed?  The only information given was the route taken by the courtege, the order of service and some names of those attending/taking part.  You didn't watch the funeral so you have no idea what the funeral was like.

It was beautiful and extremely dignified, as were all but a mere dozen at most of the crowds lining the streets.  There were thousands in the crowds by the way.