Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HP Beans

George Burgess

53 posts in this topic

From what I have seen so far of him this season,we need him on England's bench for the World Cup,what does everyone else reckon?

We need both him and Sam ready and fully fit when the World Cup comes around later this year.

Certainly worth a place in the squad.  He's a massive lad and three tries from the bench in 5 NRL matches taking players over the line with him shows he could make an impact at international level.

Certainly worth a place in the squad.  He's a massive lad and three tries from the bench in 5 NRL matches taking players over the line with him shows he could make an impact at international level.

international forwards at top level need to do 60 mins attack defend at the highest quality not just clumsily fall over the line cos the defence is tired and the forward is a big oafish lummox

international forwards at top level need to do 60 mins attack defend at the highest quality not just clumsily fall over the line cos the defence is tired and the forward is a big oafish lummox

The props don't. You have 4 props. If 2 do 60 minutes each then the other two only have to do 20 minutes. Basic maths tells you they have to do 40 minutes each. The second rowers have to do 53 each if they have 3.

Even if you use the loose as an extra prop that's still only 48 minutes each on average.

I'm not saying that every forward does that but an international forward doesn't HAVE to do 60 minutes, far from it.

Also you're implying Burgess is overweight and can't defend, he's far from either.

The props don't. You have 4 props. If 2 do 60 minutes each then the other two only have to do 20 minutes. Basic maths tells you they have to do 40 minutes each. The second rowers have to do 53 each if they have 3.

Even if you use the loose as an extra prop that's still only 48 minutes each on average.

I'm not saying that every forward does that but an international forward doesn't HAVE to do 60 minutes, far from it.

Also you're implying Burgess is overweight and can't defend, he's far from either.

He's trolling, or hasnt seen Burgess this year. His tries have hardly been clumsy.

He's trolling, or hasnt seen Burgess this year. His tries have hardly been clumsy.

I know picked it up now. Thought I'd give him a chance to debate but he won't do so, I'll ignore his posts from now on in.

It's not just his tries. He seems to drive these "superhuman" aussies backwards with EVERY hit up he takes. On current form he should be on England's bench.

playing better than his brother at the moment.

You cannot be watching closely...Sam Burgess has been outstanding for Souths in their unbeaten start even allowing for his one match ban. I would venture to say that should he keep up his form he will be in the running for the Dally M awards at the end of the year.

He was recently voted the 6th best player in the NRL anyway but it would be a fanatstic achievement for an Englishman if he got one.

Seen each game he's played so far and he has been excellent for a young front rower much more in the mould of Sam than say Luke. He's got that explosive quality about him really hits contact hard and fast and defense is solid ask Mateo from the weekends game took a big hit from George and he's not exactly small. Excellent performances and on current form would be on Eng bench but it's a long season yet.

I've watched every televised game of his this year and ive been impressed. His tries were scored from good footwork and strength. His defence has been good. He must of put in a huge pre season as when he played last year he looked sluggish and a bit tubby. He should be a bench player this year in World Cup, he'd be great impact player. He's earnt the respect of all commentators and match summarisers here.

I know picked it up now. Thought I'd give him a chance to debate but he won't do so, I'll ignore his posts from now on in.

my apologies- thinking of a totally different player, not seen any nrl this year

I've seen a few of Souths games this year and he's be a phenomenal presence. Get the lad in the team before the aussies try and tempt him with SOO

my apologies- thinking of a totally different player, not seen any nrl this year

So why comment then?!

He's started very well, but let's see how he keeps going.

(Copy and paste for each new thread every week)

England should have plenty of impact off the bench at the WC, assuming these players hold their form

14. George Burgess

15. Eorl Crabtree

16. Gareth Hock

17. James Roby

Thats a great bench, any one of them can come on and lift the tempo which is what you need from the interchange players.

who've you got starting @ 9??

my bench as it stands is..

14. george burgess

15. erol crabtree

16. gareth hock

17. rob burrow

England should have plenty of impact off the bench at the WC, assuming these players hold their form

14. George Burgess

15. Eorl Crabtree

16. Gareth Hock

17. James Roby

Thats a great bench, any one of them can come on and lift the tempo which is what you need from the interchange players.

I don't know who you have at 9 *but* I fully agree. There would be serious impact off the bench with that quartet. I've often felt that the difference between GB/England and Australia has been the players on the bench. Too many times in the past, we've gone with players who provided either:

1) reduced quality

2) no impact/nothing different

3) both (of the above)

To compound the issue, we've had several coaches who have picked a bench with an insufficient number of forwards. With 54/55 stones of bodyweight between the first three names, none of those previous downfalls would be present here!

I agree with the bench of Burrow, Hock, Crabtree and G Burgess. All three forwards absolutely huge units who can shift and all take 3 tackles to put them down. Added to Burrows dummy half running I feel bringing these players on after 25 - 30 minutes could really change the game.

absolutely....

look at george...he's been coming on as sub,smashing holes in every NRL defense he's faced and scored valuable tries too..

what more could you as for from a bench prop?