Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nomad XIII

London Broncos moving to Farnborough next year

53 posts in this topic

Looking at their ground, it's very cramped. There would be no room for in-goals at all. I would say it is unfit for Rugby Leage.

If London are intent on moving out to a more regional area, perhaps Milton Keynes is the answer. I was there last week, and it is a quality modern stadium, with plenty of room for a full Rugby pitch.

If this rumour turns out to be true then the RFL should strip the club of its SL licence. 

Perhaps Nigel Wood could visit the next Farnborough Air Show and do some 'networking'?

"Never mind the planes. Can I interest you in a lovely little sports club in the provinces?"

I wouldn't believe everything you read on football message boards.....

I wouldnt believe anything you read on RL message boards ;)

I wouldnt believe anything you read on RL message boards ;)

I'm starting a rumour that the Broncos are going to get so big that only Wembley will be big enough to hold all their fans.

Looking at their ground, it's very cramped. There would be no room for in-goals at all. I would say it is unfit for Rugby Leage.

If London are intent on moving out to a more regional area, perhaps Milton Keynes is the answer.

The answer to what???

I've read MacKays press release that indicates the London Broncos are looking to move to enable them to then reach for the stars, but forgive me after reading hundreds of "tell them what you want them to hear" press releases, believing that the "reasons stated" cannot in any way be swallowed.

Didn't Wigan announce they'd no interest in a Welsh player then promptly sign him?

It leaves people who want honesty having to speculate and I can't see that the Broncos are looking to Farnborough as being a bright new dawn.

What fits is a cost cutting excercise dressed up as progress, whilst they see out the rest of the license, then what further fits is the possibility there's going to be no central funding for London come 2015.

If this happens let's (forlornly I know)hope the Journos ask the obvious questions

If this rumour turns out to be true then the RFL should strip the club of its SL licence.

Oh yes, and have the sports media have a field day and Rugby Union have wide grins on their faces, and then have a 13 club SL limp along for another season until licenses come about.

If it's the end for London it won't happen like that. It'll happen like it did for Crusaders.

IMHO of course.....

At the last minute they'll pull their bid, and Toulouse will immediately be the big PR release from the RFL, with the RFL hailing a move towards a bright International future between the two countries.

Oh yes, and have the sports media have a field day and Rugby Union have wide grins on their faces, and then have a 13 club SL limp along for another season until licenses come about.

If it's the end for London it won't happen like that. It'll happen like it did for Crusaders.

IMHO of course.....

At the last minute they'll pull their bid, and Toulouse will immediately be the big PR release from the RFL, with the RFL hailing a move towards a bright International future between the two countries.

What have the RU got to gloat about if London lose their licence? Barring Harlequins the RU clubs who were in London had to move outside to cater for full time professionalism. The fact is club rugby is a grossly minority sport in London.

IMHO of course.....

It'll be nowt like the Crusaders situation; in that instance the RFL already had a ready made substitute in Wakefield. Parachuting Toulouse in at the 11th hour would be disastrous.

Having said that, the current franchise system will make it very hard for any new French side to survive and flourish.

What Toulouse really need if they're to stand any chance is a similar lead-in time to the Catalans, so they can sign players, put structures in place, build awareness etc.

It's ok saying that the RFL will have tipped them the wink anyway, but that isn't enough. The people of Toulouse need to know the team is coming too.

The Catalans entry model is possibly the only example of successful top level expansion in the entire history of UK rugby league. Why wouldn't you repeat a winning formula?

If they are thinking Farnborough, they may as well go to Gillingham, which was they're preferred choice 12 months ago.. similar in distance from London, just South West rather than South East.

Farnborough's official capacity is 4163 with 627 seats and 1350 under cover. This isn't within cooee of the SL minimum requirements and a move there would almost certainly mean the club dropping into the Championship next season.

Farnborough's official capacity is 4163 with 627 seats and 1350 under cover. This isn't within cooee of the SL minimum requirements and a move there would almost certainly mean the club dropping into the Championship next season.

If they're dropping down to the Championship then there are lots of non-league grounds in and around London they could play at. No need to decamp to deepest darkest Hampshire to do it.

It's not as daft as it sounds.

There is a brand new stand behind one goal, almost complete which will seat another 1300+.

It's not a bad non-league ground, but more importantly Farnborough FC are absolutely brassic and may be open to selling the ground if they stay as a tenant.

Equally important, it's a lot closer to home for me.

What have the RU got to gloat about if London lose their licence? Barring Harlequins the RU clubs who were in London had to move outside to cater for full time professionalism. The fact is club rugby is a grossly minority sport in London.

I'm not sure Pom.

Wasn't the problem with Wasps and Sarries (and now the old ex pats clubs) that they were amateurs without professional stadia, and had to move out of London to accommodate crowds that have grown extremely well to levels London Broncos can only dream of???

It'll be nowt like the Crusaders situation; in that instance the RFL already had a ready made substitute in Wakefield. Parachuting Toulouse in at the 11th hour would be disastrous.

Having said that, the current franchise system will make it very hard for any new French side to survive and flourish.

What Toulouse really need if they're to stand any chance is a similar lead-in time to the Catalans, so they can sign players, put structures in place, build awareness etc.

It's ok saying that the RFL will have tipped them the wink anyway, but that isn't enough. The people of Toulouse need to know the team is coming too.

The Catalans entry model is possibly the only example of successful top level expansion in the entire history of UK rugby league. Why wouldn't you repeat a winning formula?

Well your right of course.

We are however well into the second year of a three year licensing period and no sign of an early nod for Toulouse so I'm not sure here, you or anyone else know how long a lead in Les Cats got???

But I'd still plead in mitigation that the further expansion to France would still be heavily used come the possible announcement "London are not getting a licence" by the simple riders "But don't worry Toulouse are" and "RL is moving forward on the international stage" and "Hemel and Skolars will continue to carry the flag for London".

Could I get a job as a PR script writer?

I'm not sure Pom.

Wasn't the problem with Wasps and Sarries (and now the old ex pats clubs) that they were amateurs without professional stadia, and had to move out of London to accommodate crowds that have grown extremely well to levels London Broncos can only dream of???

Yup. They were clubs with little more than pitches, particularly Wasps. They are still working on getting good grounds that generate the kind of revenue they need to thrive long term. Saracens are obviously further down this road but the capacity of their ground at Barnet is low for a club wth their aspirations.

Yup. They were clubs with little more than pitches, particularly Wasps. They are still working on getting good grounds that generate the kind of revenue they need to thrive long term. Saracens are obviously further down this road but the capacity of their ground at Barnet is low for a club wth their aspirations.

Thanks for that. I do believe RU in London although has reduced animosity to RL, will still be smiling if London Broncos go.

Leaving the only route for budding rugby professionals a local RU club or a long trip up north only the most determined may take...

Talks did take place between Farnborough FC and the Broncos (and a RU team) but are not expected to go any further (from the owner of Farnborough so I'd guess he should know)