Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brooza

Rugby League World Cup coverage

126 posts in this topic

I don't think that's true is it?

They have the England QF and Semi final as far as I'm aware.

They have 1 of each, but they won't know which QF England are going to be in until after their TV schedules are finalised. So unless they're having both the QFs that England are likely to be in (for finishing first or second in the group) kick off at the same time, they'll have to pick one.

I am a little underwhelmed with the Premier Sport aspect, but if they take it as their baby and really work hard on it then it could be a success.

My problem is it seems this deal is to make it available to rugby league fans, and them alone. And we're a pretty miserable bunch at times!

Yeah. As a Rugby League fan who has access to Premier Sports I have no complaints as I can watch every match if I choose to. But it's very much preaching to the converted - it'll get more RL fans subscribing to their service (and good for them), but it terms of raising awareness of the sport as a whole - which is what a world cup should do - the BBC deal is a bit of a halfway house. The England games are there and that's fantastic, but if that gives people a taste for it and they want to follow the rest of the tournament then it's unlikely they will have or go out to subscribe to Premier for it. The joy of big sporting events like this is people often will watch anything - see the olympics - and it's a shame a lot of people won't be able to see it. Not the end of the world, but a missed oppertunity perhaps.

I don't think it's a disaster from the BBC at the moment. They will basically have a World Cup game live on BBC tv every Saturday for 6 weeks.

I'm disappointed that they haven't also tried to take a Sunday game each week too, there are some potentially attractive ones:

NZ v Samoa

Wales v USA

Scotland v Italy

Wales v Cook Islands

QF

It would have felt more substantial if they had a live game every Saturday and Sunday for the duration of the tournament.

BBC ALBA are always keen on broadcasting sport involving Scottish teams, although I'm not sure whether they've ever covered sports events from outwith Scotland. The difficulty would be finding Gaelic-speaking commentators with a working knowledge of rugby league. Shame, I've always wanted to know the Gaelic for "oo! e's knocked on!!".

S4C could be in with a chance of showing Welsh games. I remember the 1995 tournament, where most of the games were covered by either BBC or L!VE TV, HTV Wales did show the Welsh games with the commentary in Welsh (certainly the game in Swansea v Samoa).

RTE in Ireland??

They have 1 of each, but they won't know which QF England are going to be in until after their TV schedules are finalised. So unless they're having both the QFs that England are likely to be in (for finishing first or second in the group) kick off at the same time, they'll have to pick one.

I doubt the BBC will be lumbered with a non-England qf considering the entire deal is based on showing games exclusively featuring England. The BBC will provisionally schedule the QF England are most likely to play in, and then will alter the schedule if they don’t (much like the soccer world cup). I have a feeling all possible fixtures England might feature in will be at beeb friendly hours.

This is the position I'm in, so I'm a bit miffed I won't be able to see a load of games. That said, Virgin have stated that they're happy to add Premier Sports to their sports channels but only if Premier can accept being a subscription channel. PS was hoping that Virgin would offer the channel for free, as they do with ESPN, but Virgin aren't keen on this. With PS expanding their offering to try and drive subscribers, they may go back and negotiate with Virgin some more. I certainly hope so.

Someone also mentioned earlier that PS were going to revamp their online streaming offering, so it might be possible for non-Sky viewers to subscribe that way and get to watch the World Cup later in the year. I'd be OK with that.

Still, if the Beeb do a good job with their games and highlights packages, plenty of terrestrial viewers/general sports fans will get to watch the World Cup. Given that it's in the UK this is great. Sure, they could have shown more games - for example on BBC Three, or the red button, but it's better than nothing. At the end of the day, terrestrial coverage is vital. If Sky took their bat and ball home because they wanted exclusive rights, IMG were right to walk away. We'll gain more by having England matches, the final etc on the Beeb IMHO.

back in negotiations with virgin.

I actually think there may be a change in what they do - announced quite soon.

They have announced the games based on rankings and expected qualifiers, but if England get off to a great start and beat the Aussies, then they will end up playing in Wrexham, potentially against Italy - which is lunacy.

Considering they pretty much handpicked the fixtures, they have made a slight pigs ear of the quarters IMHO.

They could have had a situation where England played at the DW no matter who they play against. It will be hard to do this now as if they finish 1st in the group they are lined up to play Wales in Wrexham, with the Aussies playing France at Wigan for example.

I'd have preferred if they would have said England at Wigan, Wales at Wrexham, and France in Perpignan - with the highest ranked team getting home advantage if any of these meet each other.

I know it won't happen and I know it's completely against the grain but the BBC should recognise that Rugby Leagues World Cup offers them a huge opportunity.

ITV grasped the nettle with Rugby Unions World Cup and they've watched that property grow into one of the Worlds largest sporting events. Rugby League has more challenges and is starting from a little further back but if the BBC and the IRLF get their act together then the RLWC could follow a similar trajectory as its RU counterpart. If its half as successful in 20 years time then everyone concerned will have benefited hugely, its going to take a lot of faith and a commitment to a long term vision but it's very doable and while innovation will be needed theres no need to reinvent the wheel.

But this is the BBC we're talking about...the ones who manage to shoehorn in as much RUWC coverage into their normal news items as ITV does, despite the fact they don't have the TV rights

Oh God, I've just had a horrible thought - RAY FRENCH!! Oh well, it's better than having to listen to Ray Warren and Phil Gould bickering about whether to have the commentary box window open.

They've thrown away all the hard work up to this point by having a majority of matches on Premier Sports. We either have to hope that Premier Sports explodes as a mainstream sports channel, or BBC have a change of heart and decide to show other games. The news about quarter and semi-final matches being exclusively on Premier is extremely distressing, I won't be able to watch the majority of the tournament as it is.

I know it won't happen and I know it's completely against the grain but the BBC should recognise that Rugby Leagues World Cup offers them a huge opportunity.

ITV grasped the nettle with Rugby Unions World Cup and they've watched that property grow into one of the Worlds largest sporting events. Rugby League has more challenges and is starting from a little further back but if the BBC and the IRLF get their act together then the RLWC could follow a similar trajectory as its RU counterpart. If its half as successful in 20 years time then everyone concerned will have benefited hugely, its going to take a lot of faith and a commitment to a long term vision but it's very doable and while innovation will be needed theres no need to reinvent the wheel.

Let's hope the BBC's coverage of the World Cup is better than ITV's coverage of RU's WC.

I wouldn't be surprised if Premier sports made some changes as a result of this. Let's face it, it's easily the biggest sports event they've ever had.

I'm not disappointed or bowled over by the deal tbh. At least some of the less credible games will not be shown free to air at peak times. Sadly for the tournament that it's a bonus that many games will be off the radar.

Seems a good deal.The only people who will complain,are those who would never go to a game and claim to 'support' the game via their armchair and Sky.The same people would also complain if the games weren't shown on the BBC.

As we don't know what Sky offered,noone can claim the RFL should have gone with Sky.

What about people who live abroad and can see it on the beeb but not on ps? Can they complain?

Off the radar more like off the bloody planet with all due respect to PS its a mickey mouse broadcasting outfit that hardly anyone has ever heard of .

Lets get real here for once.

CM

it is a fantastic deal every single game on premier sports a shedful on the beeb, bt, and virgin also probably on board.

with all due respect canetman you are i think a tad jealous.

it is a fantastic deal every single game on premier sports a shedful on the beeb, bt, and virgin also probably on board.

with all due respect canetman you are i think a tad jealous.

whilst I dont agree with CM - its hardly a shedful of games on the beeb.

So far its 6 from 28.

This looks good news to me. Six Saturday's in a row, live match on the BBC. Should help push up advertising revenue and if the BBC do it properly using their other "platforms" should be a good event. I'll be at most matches, so it doesn't really affect me, but be nice to be able to watch them all again when I get home.

for the bbc 6 games is a shedful.

iirc it's fewer than they screened in 2000.

iirc it's fewer than they screened in 2000.

err that was 13 years ago things have changed,be happy with what we have, for me it's great because i can cancel my sky sports as soon as the GF is over.

err that was 13 years ago things have changed,be happy with what we have, for me it's great because i can cancel my sky sports as soon as the GF is over.

im grateful that we can watch every game, but this isnt a brilliant deal.

Last year the BBC broadcast a France v Wales game live - this time they have hand picked only the biggest of games - although its worth noting they seem to have some more options.

It's good that the BBC appear committed to the England team - but they havent shown anything which suggests they are overly committed to the tournament itself.

Good points :-

1. Every game being shown on one channel or another

2. Some terrestrial prime time coverage

3. Possibility of other broadcasting opportunities

Bad points :-

1. Probably not a great financial deal

2. Loss of promotion on Sky Sports thus not 'hyping' to the general sports audience on the biggest sports broadcaster - lets face it, Sky simply ignore anything they don't have the rights to

If alternative revenues can be found to mitigate both of the bad points then it could be a good thing. One thing it has highlighted though is how little Sky value the sport. It was mentioned on here after the Leeds v Wire game that there seemed to be a general negativity running through the commentary - I reckon we know why now.

I missed thread and posted this elsewhere:

"Ok looks like most games on Premier Sports, and only one Q/F and one S/F (unbelievable!) on the BBC; pretty poor show if u ask me!

surely the 4 Q/F and BOTH S/F need to be on the BBC !

and ticket sales yet to top 100,000"

AND:

""The BBC will show all England games live, starting with the opening ceremony at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on October 26 and the clash with Australia, as well as a quarter-final, a semi-final and the Old Trafford final on November 30."

A total of just 6 games on free-to-air !!!!"

I really hope that they get Brian carney and Jon wells onto the bbc commentary, informed opinion without filling the shorty dumb northerner stereotype which seems to get pumped out, plus, I'm already cringing at the thought of Jonathan Davies getting names wrong!

Wiltshire Rhino, on 10 Apr 2013 - 20:45, said:

According to PS the Beeb have first refusal for 13 more games. PS will show every game regardless.

What does this "first refusal" mean?

Why don't the BBC just commit to broadcasting these mysterious 13 games????

so its likely that Rugby League fans watching the BBC will only get to see England, Australia, New Zealand, PNG and one other team play...

Surely they will see Ireland and Fiji given that England play them in the groups??