Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hindle xiii

14/04/13 - Bradford Bulls v Wigan Warriors - KO 3pm

Who will win?   22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Bradford Bulls
    • Wigan Warriors
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 posts in this topic

It is strange, that when you don't have an emotional investment in a game, the referee always appears better. Other than missing a knock on and a blatant obstruction I thought Mr Roby had a fair game. He didn't police the ruck any differently for either side and took the teams a generous 10m to give the defences a bit of 'wriggle room'. Generally, Wigan were quicker off the floor which was the difference round the ruck. Neither team was worse than the other on 'flat' passes, but Wigan tended to have more bodies in motion when the ball was played. Notwithstanding my attempts to play up how bad Bradford were - and for an hour, they really were (after all, the whole 'persona' of the blog is intended to be as biased as possible), it was a decent game, a good crowd and an enjoyable afternoon.

Looking forward to Sunday.

I think the only way we'll cut out the 'flat' passes in the UK is to go to 2 refs like the Aussies have. With one ref with the attacking team is should be a lot easier to police. Sadly we probably haven't got the funds to do that.

I think the only way we'll cut out the 'flat' passes in the UK is to go to 2 refs like the Aussies have. With one ref with the attacking team is should be a lot easier to police. Sadly we probably haven't got the funds to do that.

Have an official, by that I mean someone akin to the match commisioner, in the stand with an overall view of the pitch. An 'overview official' (!) in communication with those on the field.

Have an official, by that I mean someone akin to the match commisioner, in the stand with an overall view of the pitch. An 'overview official' (!) in communication with those on the field.

is that really going to be any cheaper than having an extra ref on the pitch? An extra ref could also better police the ruck whilst the other polices the defensive line.

is that really going to be any cheaper than having an extra ref on the pitch? An extra ref could also better police the ruck whilst the other polices the defensive line.

No idea, but there are already "officials" not on or around the pitch. The only cost I can see is another channel for the communication, this is also another potential area where technology could fail, at least the touch judges have hand signals. Anyway, it'll probably fall down somewhere down the leagues that aren't all wired for sound. But I definitely think someone who can see the whole pitch is one way forward.

The downside at the moment of an extra referee is the people available, both in numbers and quality/experience, perhaps the next avenue is a push on ex-players to take up the whistle.

Perhaps... I don't know the answer. I do like the way the NRL matches are ref'd but whether that is down to having 2 refs on the pitch or the philosophy of refereeing handed down from red hall, I'm not sure.

Perhaps... I don't know the answer. I do like the way the NRL matches are ref'd but whether that is down to having 2 refs on the pitch or the philosophy of refereeing handed down from red hall, I'm not sure.

I think it's exactly the same as the players; more players means more matches which means more officials... so the better players AND officials filter through to the top.

There are far too many forward passes thrown for them not to be seen by the touch judges.

I think the touch judges must be told not to call forward passes unless a specific pass is queried by the referee.

Mick Ganson should set aside any personal preferences and insist that touch judges play a bigger part.

It is strange, that when you don't have an emotional investment in a game, the referee always appears better. Other than missing a knock on and a blatant obstruction I thought Mr Roby had a fair game. He didn't police the ruck any differently for either side and took the teams a generous 10m to give the defences a bit of 'wriggle room'. Generally, Wigan were quicker off the floor which was the difference round the ruck. Neither team was worse than the other on 'flat' passes, but Wigan tended to have more bodies in motion when the ball was played. Notwithstanding my attempts to play up how bad Bradford were - and for an hour, they really were (after all, the whole 'persona' of the blog is intended to be as biased as possible), it was a decent game, a good crowd and an enjoyable afternoon.

Looking forward to Sunday.