Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hindle xiii

Kingstone Press Championship One - Week 2

Which game are you most looking forward to?   19 members have voted

1. 1. Which game are you most looking forward to?

• Oxford v South Wales Scorpions
    • North Wales Crusaders v London Skolars
    • Gloucestershire All Golds v Oldham
    • Hemel Stags v Gateshead Thunder

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

75 posts in this topic

Crowd at Gloucester given as 105. Crusaders were awesome in the second half. Only 12-6 at half time. Finished 44-6.

result: Hemel 21-20 Gateshead

A game that sent everyone home happy, even first half but Hemel had plenty of the play in the second half. Sammy the Stag needs to interact with the crowd more.  A crowd of 263 with about 10 travelling supporters, who were a credit to their team. All in all a good day at Pennine Way.

Crusaders storming it. They must be going up this year. 34-6.

Crusaders sound convincing. But on 37 minutes tied 6-6. North Wales & Whitehaven away tough two weeks for Skolars but still expect them to be there or there abouts.

All Golds were pretty woeful today - lots of mistakes and they gave away far too many players - but in truth they were largely outclassed by Oldham. The latter dominated in the forwards and made loads of easy yards around the ruck. Lewis Palfrey's kicking game was also very good. Not sure how Oldham compare against all the other sides - Crusaders look to be decent from their results, but they've not been to Cheltenham yet - but I thought they were pretty tidy today. Admittedly, the All Golds didn't threaten much, but you can only play what's in front of you.

If the All Golds play like they did today against Salford they'll get smashed. Brad Hepi looked pretty distraught afterwards - suspect there may be a few new players coming in to bolster their inexperienced squad.

Enjoyed Hemel versus Gateshead. Real improvement in the Hemel team from game to game. The difference between the pre-season game and today was remarkable and I can see them getting better. The pitch was in real good nick too despite the recent problems so hats off to the staff for that.

As to Gateshead they just can't buy a win at the moment, which is sad as they appear to be enthusiastic both on and off the field. Their travelling supporters were great and must be some of the most dedicated given the distances they travel for very little reward (in terms of wins). Unfortunately they seem to lack a bit of size in the pack and guile behind it. Not all of their dual reg players did them many favours either

Enjoyed Hemel versus Gateshead. Real improvement in the Hemel team from game to game. The difference between the pre-season game and today was remarkable and I can see them getting better. The pitch was in real good nick too despite the recent problems so hats off to the staff for that.

As to Gateshead they just can't buy a win at the moment, which is sad as they appear to be enthusiastic both on and off the field. Their travelling supporters were great and must be some of the most dedicated given the distances they travel for very little reward (in terms of wins). Unfortunately they seem to lack a bit of size in the pack and guile behind it. Not all of their dual reg players did them many favours either

They lost by one point. They are much more competitive in this league.

They lost by one point. They are much more competitive in this league.

Yes, but they have lost to two of the new teams already. I thought they would be rather better given the new teams in the league than they have been. It's a shame.

Yes, but they have lost to two of the new teams already. I thought they would be rather better given the new teams in the league than they have been. It's a shame.

Yes that is odd.

I think the key battle when you are in their position (as Carlisle were in nl3) is to get that first win. You get a huge boost in confidence and can push on, until you get that you play expecting the opposition to overtake you even when you have a decent lead. Even top teams can suffer, if Saints build up a big lead v Wigan and concede just before half time they know they will lose and always do, no matter how one way the traffic was prior to that score. It has happened too many times, thunder were close to building up a big lead today and at home v all golds, as soon as the opposition came back their self belief drains. They need psychological coaching as well as rugby coaching.

didn't gateshead also have a few kr lads in there team?

Crusaders put in another dominant performance today but the conditions didn't help the game. Still think Skolars will be a very strong team this year and I honestly think things could turn very quickly given the lack of room for error with such a short season.... Worry for AGolds tho....

Crusaders put in another dominant performance today but the conditions didn't help the game. Still think Skolars will be a very strong team this year and I honestly think things could turn very quickly given the lack of room for error with such a short season.... Worry for AGolds tho....

u got to worry for them when they have a 46(?) year old playing for them

Just to add to those applauding the few hardy - but very vocal - Gateshead fans who made the trip to Hemel yesterday. Great stuff and hopefully they'll get a win on the board soon.

Nice to see the sponsor's tipple on tap in the clubhouse too!

By the standards of the division Crusaders are a large team, particularly in the forwards, and I had the impression that the tactics were to just keep battering the Skolars in the first half without worrying too much about scoring and then go for them in the second stanza (nice Stevo touch!) when they were bewildered and exhausted.

By the standards of the division Crusaders are a large team, particularly in the forwards, and I had the impression that the tactics were to just keep battering the Skolars in the first half without worrying too much about scoring and then go for them in the second stanza (nice Stevo touch!) when they were bewildered and exhausted.

I noticed that they didn't give the former Prestatyn winger Weaver a run out yesterday after a hat trick of tries against West Hull. How many Welsh lads involved presently.

Does that matter if there were any Welsh lads are not? How many Swinton born players are in the Swinton team? The people of Wrexham wanted a RL team and they have one. Surely thats good. I spoke to Clive at the Ince .v. Hemel game and he rates Weaver and has plans for him but Crusaders have a large squad, because they are well run off the pitch, and they have to try and keep all the players happy. I expect Weaver and a few of the other "fringe" players to turn out at Hemel next Tuesday so you can go and see him if you are that concerned. I will be there, but as much to watch Mike Forgham as the Crusaders players.

Does that matter if there were any Welsh lads are not? How many Swinton born players are in the Swinton team? The people of Wrexham wanted a RL team and they have one. Surely thats good. I spoke to Clive at the Ince .v. Hemel game and he rates Weaver and has plans for him but Crusaders have a large squad, because they are well run off the pitch, and they have to try and keep all the players happy. I expect Weaver and a few of the other "fringe" players to turn out at Hemel next Tuesday so you can go and see him if you are that concerned. I will be there, but as much to watch Mike Forgham as the Crusaders players.

I think it does. Certainly in the long term. Both the Wrexham club and Neath set ups are about getting Welsh lads involved. They need a set up too of junior feeder clubs. Fulham in their earlier days finished up training at Newton le Willows. I wouldn't like to see North Wales follow that model.

I think it does. Certainly in the long term. Both the Wrexham club and Neath set ups are about getting Welsh lads involved. They need a set up too of junior feeder clubs. Fulham in their earlier days finished up training at Newton le Willows. I wouldn't like to see North Wales follow that model.

Crusaders have one of the best coaches in RL or RU for that matter in Clive Griffiths and why he dosn't have a SL coaches job is a mystery to me.

He took the Cusaders to the cusp of the playoffs last year in a much stronger division than this season and with a team assembled at the last minure from scratch.

This year, i expect, that Crusaders will dominate this league. They have the best ground, the biggest crowds and a seemingly progressive and competent management team.

Griffiths is Welsh and has a great knowldge of Welsh RU. he is also a renowned RL coach and will be well aware of the need rto produce players and set up amatuer teams in and near Wrexham and I believe this is being done.

If he gets the Crusaders promoted, welsh players or not, this will have a knock on effect for attracting future Welsh players to the team.

Fortunately Wrexham is quite close to Lancashire and Cheshire and so I see no need for their northern based players to have to have a northern training base as per the example of the London team that you instanced.

I think Crusaders will be there or thereabouts at the end of this season and the fact that they are not a dual registered

organisation will make that an even more impressive achievment.

Crusaders have one of the best coaches in RL or RU for that matter in Clive Griffiths and why he dosn't have a SL coaches job is a mystery to me.

He took the Cusaders to the cusp of the playoffs last year in a much stronger division than this season and with a team assembled at the last minure from scratch.

This year, i expect, that Crusaders will dominate this league. They have the best ground, the biggest crowds and a seemingly progressive and competent management team.

Griffiths is Welsh and has a great knowldge of Welsh RU. he is also a renowned RL coach and will be well aware of the need rto produce players and set up amatuer teams in and near Wrexham and I believe this is being done.

If he gets the Crusaders promoted, welsh players or not, this will have a knock on effect for attracting future Welsh players to the team.

Fortunately Wrexham is quite close to Lancashire and Cheshire and so I see no need for their northern based players to have to have a northern training base as per the example of the London team that you instanced.

I think Crusaders will be there or thereabouts at the end of this season and the fact that they are not a dual registered

organisation will make that an even more impressive achievment.

Its a long shot but if Cru win the NRC this year and go up will they be eligible for SL in 2015?

With P&R we could have had a Welsh team in SL as early as 2015 regardless. That would be mouthwatering

Given the 'flexible' nature of the licence system, God alone knows although I hope not as they wouldn't be ready yet. As for Fulham in the Craven Cottage era, the team were always based in Lancashire and trained in various places around Newton-le-Willows and went by coach down to London for the home games.

Does that matter if there were any Welsh lads are not? How many Swinton born players are in the Swinton team?

Swinton is a town / borough. Wales is a country. Hardly the same. I'd say that it matters how many English players are in the Swinton side.

I didn't realise that Crusaders and Scorpions were set up for the purpose of getting Welsh lads involved in the game. I thought they were set up by businessmen, to give RL a presence in Wales and give the many RL fans in that Country teams of their own to watch. I thought the idea was to get schools playing the game (Done) and set up amateur teams (Done) that will provide players for the future, knowing that a team packed with inexperienced lads now would not survive, and knowing that a successful team, no matter where the players come from, would be more of an attractive proposition. I am born in bred in Salford of English parents but followed Celtic Crusaders from their very first ever league match and still follow Crusaders today, but maybe I should not be allowed to follow a Welsh team. Understand your concerns Audois and I'm not looking for an argument. I think we both support expansion, but I am sick to death of people up here being so negative about first Celtic Crusaders being in the RFL, and now from various sources complaniing North Wales Crusaders are not a "Welsh" team!

Player development will come at the Crusaders. At the end of the day it has taken the Scorpions three seasons to develop a squad of predominantly Welsh players and this was on the back of having a thriving grassroots game. The grassroots game has made major strides in North Wales over the past twelve months and Wales Rugby League are finally beginning to take notice of goings on here.

Clive Griffiths' main concern has been putting a competitive side together for the Crusaders. He's a big believer in young Welsh talent and that should be the next phase for the club. I agree this has been too long coming because the likes of Warrington are already sniffing around young North Walian talent.