Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

players you had a "soft spot " for

111 posts in this topic

Paul Wood. He's a bit better known now but for most of his career he's plugged away with scant recognition.

Darren Burns

Sid Domic

Lee Penny (it all went south once he packed in though)

Gary Hale

Ian van Bellen

Steve Donlan

Graham Garrod

Mick Blacker

Paul Grayshon

Jeff Wittenberg

Daryl Shelford

Ian Gildert would be one, never really grabbed the headlines, but always put a shift in, the sort of lad you took for granted till he wasn't playing.

Sam Panapa another, can be few pros who've been as versitile as him, back in the days of 1-13 shirts, I'm sure there's only one he didn't wear during his time at Wigan, just can't remember which one!

Johnny Wolford.

No strength, no pace, all skill and guile.......

The old mans Lee Briers who I also have a tremendous soft spot for....

Johnny Wolford.

No strength, no pace, all skill and guile.......

The old mans Lee Briers who I also have a tremendous soft spot for....

A special player, hence my username, but surely he was recognised as such?

One for the Hull fans, Adam Maher. A workhorse in defence who always gave 100%.

Richard Owen, Joe Westerman and Karl Pryce. Always thought they could be more.

I always had a soft spot for Sam Panapa. He usually had the title of super sub, but I think he'd have been a star in his own right at any club other than Wigan at that time.

George Fairbairn was always a player I had a lot of time for. I remember him, after one match at Wilderspool where I had been giving him some good natured abuse, coming over to talk to his parents who I had been standing next to for the whole match.

Another vote for Gary Broadbent here. Always happy to see him have a good game.

Jeff Wittenberg

Daryl Shelford

Jeff Wittenberg was a good, solid player. Always liked him.

Shelford had a season in the lower leagues at Huddersfield late on in his career and terrorised the opposition with his tackling. The centre pairing of him and Greg Austin were phenomenal that year.

Steve Langton at Carlisle

Tommy martyn at saints - never got the recognition he deserved in my opinion

Both stand offs

Mark Lennon. Always gave 100% and a nice bloke. Paid his on way over from Aus to play for Wales a few years ago.

That's what I call commitment from a heritage player.

Ian Gildert would be one, never really grabbed the headlines, but always put a shift in, the sort of lad you took for granted till he wasn't playing.

Sam Panapa another, can be few pros who've been as versitile as him, back in the days of 1-13 shirts, I'm sure there's only one he didn't wear during his time at Wigan, just can't remember which one!

I was going to go for Panapa too.  I'm not sure but I would guess he never wore 9 - certainly have no recollection of it.  Best utility player I have ever seen - perfect in the days of two subs per team. 

Gary Broadbent, I know it's abit biased but he was the most solid full back I've seen in my life, never truly got the recognition he deserved.

Was fantastic for Whitehaven in his time there, can only remember him missing a tackle once and everyone seemed to be looking around thinking whether they'd really seen it or had they imagined it

I was going to go for Panapa too.  I'm not sure but I would guess he never wore 9 - certainly have no recollection of it.  Best utility player I have ever seen - perfect in the days of two subs per team. 

A while back, there was a list of Wigan greats or fans' favourites. Sam was listed twice, which was rather appropriate, I thought! :D

Roy Powell,the quietest,most unassuming bloke you could meet.

Met him once whilst I was working at Wilderspool. So quietly spoken, it belied this giant of a man. He came across as a true gentleman.

As for players, has to be Kevin Ward for me. I just loved the fact he got on with playing and gave it 100% everytime.