Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

players you had a "soft spot " for

111 posts in this topic

Brendon Tuuta - I think Terry as mentioned the players quality's.

Gary Rose - Hards as nails, I remember him playing against Wigan and have a good battle with Neil Cowie

Richard Chapman - Over 100 trys for us. Some people found him frustrating because he could do some crazy things but I used to love to watch him play.

Charlie Renilson

Always liked Mike Lampkowski when I watched Trinity as a youngster. Played scrum half as I did in the school team.

Wasn't aware he played Union before joining Trinity.

Deon Bird always gave his all for every club he turned out for

Brad Davis was another favourite of mine

David Maiden was a top grafter at Hull Fc as was Shane Mcmenamy

Derek Pyke

yep.....largely unnoticed yet had an absolute belter of a game against Canberra in the WCC

Mark Preston

Paul Dixon

Geoff Robinson

Roy Dickinson

Kerry Gibson

Gavin Miller

Was that before or after the English game ironed out his faults? ;)

David Maiden was a top grafter at Hull Fc as was Shane Mcmenamy

McMenemy probably had a better kicking game than Richard Horne will ever have. Maiden was unlucky in that he was only keeping the seat warm for Tony Grimaldi. 

The late Adrian Shelford.

Billy McGinty.

Loved watching McGinty playing for Wigan. Still remember an evening game at CP when he put in a super tackle on Kurt Sorenson and totally changed the momentum of the game which Widnes were dominating up to that point.

Billy McGinty.

Loved watching McGinty playing for Wigan. Still remember an evening game at CP when he put in a super tackle on Kurt Sorenson and totally changed the momentum of the game which Widnes were dominating up to that point.

He wasn't the biggest forward to play the game but I know from experience when he tackled you it hurt. 

For the players I have had a soft spot for I always liked watching Ian Potter at Wigan, a real tackling machine. 

At Wire the splendid Paul Cullen / Gary Sanderson double act in the second row.  Never missed a tackle.  Unfortunately, rarely broke a tackle either.

When in Brisbane, the Souths prop forward Mohammed Allouche never took a backward step, was hammered every week (as apart from Darren Lockyer's bruv he was the only stand out player), and finally got his reward when he coached the 'Pies to the Queensland Cup a couple of years ago.

Here in France, David Ferriol for the Catalans but also in his previous incarnation at Limoux.  He could have been anything in the game if he had gone to Australia.  And of course the recently retired Artie Shead.  A prop forward who always angled towards the left centre channel and terrified anyone there.

I also enjoy watching Seb Planas play at Toulouse.  He's not the most talented lad on the pitch, but boy does he try hard!

Peter Smethurst at Oldham.........no matter how hard he was tackled, always came up smiling.......put in 100% every game

Anyone else remember the ginger French LF from the late 1970s, Joel Roosebrouck?

McMenemy probably had a better kicking game than Richard Horne will ever have. Maiden was unlucky in that he was only keeping the seat warm for Tony Grimaldi.

After he came home Pom :-)

Anyone else remember the ginger French LF from the late 1970s, Joel Roosebrouck?

He Captained France against the Kangaroos in 1982.

Steve Menzies just the ultimate professional and comes across as a real nice person, absolute class a credit to our great game.

Willie Poching,

Great player who was popular and respected by fans, team mates and opposition

Never ever blanks anyone and will always have time for you.

Unassuming, humble and a dedicated family man

Not enough like him in the world

He Captained France against the Kangaroos in 1982.

Did he captain them when the French beat the Kangaroos 2-0 in 1978?

Billy McGinty.

Great coach too when we had him at Workington. A shame he went to RU because he would have developed into a top class RL coach.