Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

players you had a "soft spot " for

111 posts in this topic

Never been a fan of St. Helens but Harry Pinner always looked like he enjoyed playing the game and had a smile on his face when I watched him. Great exponent of the drop goal as well. which I am a big fan of.

Eddie Szymala - he was rock.

My first Wigan hero was Nicky Kiss. A crowd pleaser if ever there was one. I cannot remember him ever showing any great talent, but he would make it into any list of top gypsy number 9s.

Robbie McCormack. In a period where Wigan signed a few underwhelming players, he was an undeniable bargain. Shame he didn't stay long.

He was a fantastic player, wasn't he. He stayed long enough to win a GF iirc.

Henry Oulton - a talented maverick.

Dave Rippon, great clubman.

Dave Teasdale, a real animal on the pitch but great to me when I was a young lad!

All from Batley's  'quiet' years.

He was a fantastic player, wasn't he. He stayed long enough to win a GF iirc.

A nugget with a mullet! :D

From ye old Bulls; Jon Scales, Tahi Reihana (never scored a try!) :( and Danny Peacock.

And then anyone in the 2012 or 2013 squad!

stevie pitchford- looked more like a darts player than an athlete, wonder how he would get on nowadays?

A few from my early days of watching Hull:

George Robinson, the chain-smoking full back - weighed about 8stone wet thru, but always tackled like a lion.

Barry Banks - seriously don't ask me why

Patrick Solal - seriously underrated French winger who must have thought he was on another planet when he signed foer us.

Steve Evans - wasted in the centres, could be lethal at stand-off where he didn't have time to think

Mick Crane - RL's answer to George Best, possibly the best player I ever saw - if only he'd have taken it seriously.....

Tony Dean - hilarious both on and off the pitch

And from other clubs:

David Cairns - brilliant scrum half from Barrow

John Woods - possibly the best stand I ever saw while he was at Leigh

stevie pitchford- looked more like a darts player than an athlete, wonder how he would get on nowadays?

He used to be referred to as the "pocket battleship" by Eddie Waring.

Someone mentioned Mick Blacker earlier. - great solid pro for t'Northern in the rearly 70's.  I really rated him, along with Dave Treasure and Ediie Tees.

Eddie Szymala - he was rock.

My first Wigan hero was Nicky Kiss. A crowd pleaser if ever there was one. I cannot remember him ever showing any great talent, but he would make it into any list of top gypsy number 9s.

Just about the best ball stealer I've ever seen. Hardly ever got through a game without pulling at least one off and making the ball carrier look a bit of a plank.

Just about the best ball stealer I've ever seen. Hardly ever got through a game without pulling at least one off and making the ball carrier look a bit of a plank.

Talking of ball-stealers, that's just reminded me of Gavin 'the Pinch' Clinch!