Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

World Cup volunteers

54 posts in this topic

For those who like to read the official media releases:

RLWC2013 launch ‘Team 13’ volunteer programme

Rugby League World Cup 2013 announced details today of its volunteer programme for the tournament. The volunteers, drawn from across the UK, will work under the name of ‘Team 13’ and all have key roles which will enable RLWC2013 organisers to deliver the best Rugby League World Cup so far.

50 of the 800 total volunteers attended a showcase launch event at Old Trafford, the iconic sporting venue where on November 30 the Rugby League World Cup Final will take place.

RLWC2013’s Team 13 volunteers come from all walks of life, from all age groups and represent almost all of the 25 host venues and training facilities across the UK. They include London 2012 Games Makers, Rugby League fans and administrators, a contingent from Australia and at least one former Rugby League World Cup player.

Jon Dutton, RLWC2013 Operations Director, said: “Our Team 13 volunteers are an integral part of RLWC2013. They will be the first point of contact at stadiums for many of our fans and will also perform key roles at matches and behind the scenes.”

“Both London 2012 and Manchester 2002 proved that volunteers can be the difference between great events and fantastic events. The enthusiasm and expertise we found during the interview process was amazing and we know that with Team 13 we have a great set of volunteers at our disposal.”

“The volunteers come from as far apart as London in the South to Workington in the North, and from St Helens in the North West to Hull on the North East coast. What we are offering them is a once in a lifetime opportunity to take part in a world class event on their own doorsteps. They can take pride in making a difference in their own communities.”

The Team 13 task force will begin their work in mid-October when the teams begin to arrive for RLWC2013 ahead of the first game in Cardiff. The opening ceremony takes place at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on Saturday October 26 immediately before England take on Australia and Wales play Italy live on the BBC.

I apologise, but I saw the picture and thought it would be nice to share it

I apologise, but I saw the picture and thought it would be nice to share it

i didnt read it as a criticism

RLWC2013 launch ‘Team 13’ volunteer programme

Rugby League World Cup 2013 announced details today of its volunteer programme for the tournament. The volunteers, drawn from across the UK, will work under the name of ‘Team 13’ and all have key roles which will enable RLWC2013 organisers to deliver the best Rugby League World Cup so far.

50 of the 800 total volunteers attended a showcase launch event at Old Trafford, the iconic sporting venue where on November 30 the Rugby League World Cup Final will take place.

RLWC2013’s Team 13 volunteers come from all walks of life, from all age groups and represent almost all of the 25 host venues and training facilities across the UK. They include London 2012 Games Makers, Rugby League fans and administrators, a contingent from Australia and at least one former Rugby League World Cup player.

Jon Dutton, RLWC2013 Operations Director, said: “Our Team 13 volunteers are an integral part of RLWC2013. They will be the first point of contact at stadiums for many of our fans and will also perform key roles at matches and behind the scenes.”

“Both London 2012 and Manchester 2002 proved that volunteers can be the difference between great events and fantastic events. The enthusiasm and expertise we found during the interview process was amazing and we know that with Team 13 we have a great set of volunteers at our disposal.”

“The volunteers come from as far apart as London in the South to Workington in the North, and from St Helens in the North West to Hull on the North East coast. What we are offering them is a once in a lifetime opportunity to take part in a world class event on their own doorsteps. They can take pride in making a difference in their own communities.”

The Team 13 task force will begin their work in mid-October when the teams begin to arrive for RLWC2013 ahead of the first game in Cardiff. The opening ceremony takes place at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on Saturday October 26 immediately before England take on Australia and Wales play Italy live on the BBC.

I won't believe this is official until Honor needlessly starts a new thread duplicating it.

Great stuff guys, I think to get 800 volunteers is a great effort. I wish I had the time to give over to this, awesome.

i didnt read it as a criticism

surely you know me by now Dave, full of insecurities and paranoia

I wish I could be part of team13 , I would love to do it and have the memories from it and meet all the new people along the way - I'm sure it'll be hard work, but I bet it's a cracking role if you can manage to do it - good luck to them all, and thank you in advance for your efforts

We all know...

Joking!

And the League Express headline was rather bitchy!

We all know...

Joking!

And the League Express headline was rather bitchy!

Please tell me you've volunteered to be scoreboard operator.

Please tell me you've volunteered to be scoreboard operator.

Sadly not. Nor did they agree to me doing the public address system. Although I would've done a bloody good job at both of them.

I wish I could be part of team13 , I would love to do it and have the memories from it and meet all the new people along the way - I'm sure it'll be hard work, but I bet it's a cracking role if you can manage to do it - good luck to them all, and thank you in advance for your efforts

aye me too - gutted I live too far away now and cant commit ti the travelling.

I was there on Saturday and it was a fantastic day.  I'm in the "A".  Can't wait to get started on this and some of us have the lead in with the Festival of World cups in July.

It's an exciting year for the game in this country and I'm going to be involved as much as I possibly can be.  Already booked hotels for Cardiff and Wembley and hoping to work at both of those.

Found out today that I've got Cardiff, Hull and Wembley!!

Happy days

Oh and I've booked platinum hospitality for the final - cannot wait.

Had a great training day at the Hive today. The passion and commitment that is on show form the organisers down to the volunteers themselves is outstanding.

After today i simply cannot wait to be part of this fantastic event - even if I have to wear lime green polo shirt!

I was there on Saturday and it was a fantastic day.  I'm in the "A".  Can't wait to get started on this and some of us have the lead in with the Festival of World cups in July.

It's an exciting year for the game in this country and I'm going to be involved as much as I possibly can be.  Already booked hotels for Cardiff and Wembley and hoping to work at both of those.

So you're after a career as a hotel manager?

Also enjoyed being at The Hive. What is exciting is that a number of the volunteers have not been to a Rugby League game before but want to play their part in a major event. I met one Gamesmaker originally from Singapore who this autumn is a volunteer for Triathlon, Badminton and the World Cup! There is also an American lady more used to gridiron but she is happy to give it a go. In fact in my sub group there were more people present who did not support a club side than those who were fans!

Also enjoyed being at The Hive. What is exciting is that a number of the volunteers have not been to a Rugby League game before but want to play their part in a major event. I met one Gamesmaker originally from Singapore who this autumn is a volunteer for Triathlon, Badminton and the World Cup! There is also an American lady more used to gridiron but she is happy to give it a go. In fact in my sub group there were more people present who did not support a club side than those who were fans!

It's brilliant

On my table there was a Portuguese girl who had studied in Sheffield so knew about Rugby League - she'd heard about the world cup so volunteered!

Outstanding

Apparently 68% of people who have bought tickets for Wembley have never attended the Challenge Cup Final.

They're expecting it to sell out and about 60,000 for Cardiff are expected

I've got my training day in a couple of weeks in Cardiff. Know I'm doing Team Liason for the Cook Islands (they're based in Bristol) but not much idea yet exactly what I'm expected to do (dealing with the press, setting up interviews and features, that kind of thing, I think - I/m expecting more info from the communications team at some point soon). Haven't had shifts assigned, but I think it's not that kind of role. I'm assuming I'll be at all the Cook Islands' games, and with them at media events during the week. Quite excited by it - have done PR and media relations a fair bit before, including for the Eagles, but to be involved in a global sporting tournament tops all that. Exciting times :)

Matt Gerremonside was keeping me updated about the official "Team 13" stash yesterday - horrific dayglo green polo, blue hoodie and rain jacket, beanie hat, various other odds and ends. Spectators certainly won't miss "Team 13" - we'll be highly visible. Which is good.

There seems to be quite a few other RL enthusiasts from the South West/West of England involved as volunteers. It would be nice to have all of the region's amateur clubs represented (I know for definite there are people from the Sonics, Gloucestershire Warriors and Swindon St George in 'Team 13').

Apparently 68% of people who have bought tickets for Wembley have never attended the Challenge Cup Final.

They're expecting it to sell out and about 60,000 for Cardiff are expected

I'd give the other 15,000 for Cardiff away if they haven't gone a couple of days before the game. Good news though...

So how are the volunteers on TRL finding the experience?

Excellent - great to be part of this wonderful event

Excellent - great to be part of this wonderful event

It's great being able to help out with the tournament and help make it a huge success. I've met lots of other volunteers (and quite a few a number of times now, as we're all doing the same games in this neck of the woods) and they're a really mixed bunch. All very enthusiastic. Good to see that many of the media volunteers are either journalism students, recent graduates or people with an interest in working in this area. Not all I should add, but it will be a great experience for them.

The World Cup organising team are doing a great job, too, and it can't be easy criss-crossing the country every day to go to the next match. I bet by December 1st they'll all be knackered. They deserve a huge amount of credit, I think. So far it's been the best organised and most vibrant World Cup I can remember.

If there are any volunteer on here - well done guys

Every one I've met has been brilliant

Last night our tickets had been changed for some reason, the volunteer took charge, showed up where to go and all went smoothly.

We then had to leave two tickets for collection for two people late. The volunteer recognised us, took the envelope and said he would personally sort it.

Late people got in five after kick off no problem

Whoever you were, thank you, it could have turned out badly but didn't.