Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

Hock and Mossop to the Eels

51 posts in this topic

more and more will go! But remember its good for the sport because it weakens the top teams.

Saw this mentioned on twitter this morning.. Hock looks nailed on, but can't see Wigan parting with Mossop, unless of course he wants to go.. then its all about the fee..

Really don't have a problem with this, the more the merrier in my opinion. In an ideal world I'd like to see the best british players stay in super league and see the best overseas talent come here but the reality is the NRL is the better competition, paying the better wages and offering the better lifestyle. I'd also like to see more backs head down under to improve England's chances against the Aussies and now the kiwis who have at least half a dozen eligible kiwi players playing for every NRL club and u20's teams, not including the NZ warriors who obviously have more.

As mentioned on the Hull KR-Wigan thread where this came up. I think the top teams will see themselves right by signing/buying another player from another team, or promoting from within. The bottom end will have to make up the losses.

As I said in the HKR - Wigan thread, ;-) I think Wigan don't need any external recruitment on losing either of these players. In effect Hock has gone and our young kids have shown they can step up.

When we lose Tomkins though, sadly he's irreplaceable.

In general though you're right. Sadly the bottom end of the league don't have the junior systems to cope with it and the bigger transfer fees will go to the clubs losing the players to the NRL, creating more inequality. 

more and more will go! But remember its good for the sport because it weakens the top teams.

No - it's not good because it weakens the top teams - I don't think anybody has ever suggested that.

The positives are:

a) it can help to strengthen our Test team - this has worked for the Kiwis

b ) this can help to stop people from going to Union - this is good for RL

c ) it can give more opportunities to more British players to come through and take these gaps. We will end up with more British players playing at high levels overall.

The negatives:

a) we don't get to see some of our best players playing for our favourite teams.

b ) the standard of SL can drop - this is always open to interpretation - rugby league fans have been telling anyone who will listen that the game is getting worse year on year for the last 30 years, so what's different there? The game is exciting, the rules see to that - the athletes are fantastic, they won;t let us down, the comp will be very strong.

Not sure I agree with your positives other than the first (and I'm not convinced a successful test team will bring the fans flocking in). Really its the money that people go to union for, and possibly the recognition, but most likely the money.And as has been discussed to death the new dual reg system is killing youth development.

When we lose Tomkins though, sadly he's irreplaceable.

By all accounts Hampshire might be a pretty damn good replacement. But at the moment it's still speculation with Tomkins, I have a feeling he might not want to leave anyway. Seems odd repeating myself but that's not Kenny's fault this topic was brought up the other day on another thread. At the Bulls we had a bit of a sulk at the three Burgii leaving, who - in Sam - genuinely wanted to test himself, and it looks as though Hull have already replaced one Tom with another in Lineham. So the conveyor belt is there, and the cash too like Salford have found to their cost over 3 to 4 seasons.

Not sure I agree with your positives other than the first (and I'm not convinced a successful test team will bring the fans flocking in). Really its the money that people go to union for, and possibly the recognition, but most likely the money.And as has been discussed to death the new dual reg system is killing youth development.

If we beat the Aussies in a series or win the World Cup it is pretty much guaranteed that we would get increased media coverage, viewing figures and crowd figures. I would argue that point 100% with anybody.

Yes - the money point about Union is right, but if there is money on offer from the NRL then they have a different option to make decent money.

How can something be 'killing' youth development in the space of 3-4 months? I suspect there will be changes over the coming months and years until it is right. Your club voted for DR and the scrapping of the old system, they seem to have very good youth records, so maybe they have a strong idea of what is right to do?

I like how the idea of another club snapping up your players is completely alien to Wigan fans. They don't like it, do they.

There is also the option of these players return to Super League.

I like how the idea of another club snapping up your players is completely alien to Wigan fans. They don't like it, do they.

:D

Well I didn't want to be the one to bring it up...

sorry - hadn't realised this had already been brought up

In fairness, I think that Hull KR v Wigan match thread also covered Thatcher, North Korea, Ian Millward and tomorrow's lottery numbers.

Please let it be true as a selfish Parramatta fan, as a Rugby League fan in general, I can see both good and bad in the best of the British all heading over here.

My eels desperately need someone with a bit of mongrel in the pack and Hock is just the type of player we need even with his weekly penalty count. The other player Mossop is a bonus hopefully, sorry as I haven't seen him play as much, is he a good performer week in week out, or a bit hot and cold?

Btw, you haven't got a spare underrated young hooker/DH lying around somewhere waiting for a crack at the big time?

(the one we got is pants)

Mossops fairly consistent, he's had abit of bad luck with injuries this season. I believe he's more than capable to play in the NRL, he will be a good signing. Hock can win and lose you games against any level of opposition. If he cuts the penalties out and stupid errors he could be the best second rower in the world.

Does this mean we can save money by standing down the disciplinary committee on Tuesdays after Hock has played?

Mossops fairly consistent, he's had abit of bad luck with injuries this season. I believe he's more than capable to play in the NRL, he will be a good signing. Hock can win and lose you games against any level of opposition. If he cuts the penalties out and stupid errors he could be the best second rower in the world.

He has had his chances.

He is heading to 30 years of age, doubtful he will forfill his potential, he was at his best years ago and that was not consistently the best second rower in the World then.

He has had his chances.

He is heading to 30 years of age, doubtful he will forfill his potential, he was at his best years ago and that was not consistently the best second rower in the World then.

He's better now than he was before his ban IMO. He seems in brilliant physical condition, so I don't think his game will start declining till he hits around 32, still enough time to establish himself as the best second rower in the world after the world cup.

That's good to know about Mossop, I agree about Hock, what I've seen impresses me very much, but at the same time, he can and does ruin his good work by doing something stupid not long later or out of the blue at a critical moment.

I do hope we can sign these two, heck even one will be good regardless. I can see the benefits for the national team and maybe the juniors coming through if given a go (that's what I'm concerned about, if they continue looking elsewhere).

I want my team to be strong and we should be looking at where we are and what our junior catchment is like before looking elsewhere, but my team sadly has been run into the ground and needs a rebuild, if it's quicker going after imprts from overseas, fair enough, but if it's going to hurt the UK domestic game, Parramatta should steer clear and look in their own patch even if it takes another couple of bad seasons.

The game comes first imo, not my club.

That's good to know about Mossop, I agree about Hock, what I've seen impresses me very much, but at the same time, he can and does ruin his good work by doing something stupid not long later or out of the blue at a critical moment.

I do hope we can sign these two, heck even one will be good regardless. I can see the benefits for the national team and maybe the juniors coming through if given a go (that's what I'm concerned about, if they continue looking elsewhere).

I want my team to be strong and we should be looking at where we are and what our junior catchment is like before looking elsewhere, but my team sadly has been run into the ground and needs a rebuild, if it's quicker going after imprts from overseas, fair enough, but if it's going to hurt the UK domestic game, Parramatta should steer clear and look in their own patch even if it takes another couple of bad seasons.

The game comes first imo, not my club.

I would prefer to have nothing to do with Hock, I don't like his style or his past and do not really rate what he delivers in any consistent way, hot and cold and pretty stupid too often, no place for a player than can not control himself for me.

Parramatta have been run so badly for so long it does my head in, although they have been in Grand Finals, they seem to self destruct when they are doing ok.

If Parra could consistently get up there the whole NRL will get a boost, I fear they have let so many supporters down for so long that the damage may not be easy to fix.