Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scott

Match off

123 posts in this topic

What a beautiful day ! Great for watching a rugby match ...

The sun comes out! But game already off! Joke

The story is, the drains are fine, but due to the hard ground, the heavy rain last night was standing on the pitch & couldn't get through to the drains quick enough. Nothing has been growing due to the weather & the new turfed areas haven't knitted yet so they cant slice through to let it drain naturally in case it pulls up. It's because of the commitment to the World Cup as well as ourselves. When it starts to grow, in a couple of weeks they'll be able to work on it.

Why wasn't there a pitch inspection scheduled for 12 o'clock? The cougars could have been informed of this and told to expect phone call on route. I wonder what the real reasons for calling it off?

town did not call the pitch off,so lets stop the conspiracy theories. if anyone is to blame it was the match commisioner. town have no say if the game was to be played or not.

The story is, the drains are fine, but due to the hard ground, the heavy rain last night was standing on the pitch & couldn't get through to the drains quick enough. Nothing has been growing due to the weather & the new turfed areas haven't knitted yet so they cant slice through to let it drain naturally in case it pulls up. It's because of the commitment to the World Cup as well as ourselves. When it starts to grow, in a couple of weeks they'll be able to work on it.

That's exactly why bowling clubs spike their greens when dry weather is expected, so that when it rains it gets in to the top 2 -3 inches quicker.    

Beyond the decision making process , the blame game and reasoning , what can't be argued with is it doesn't reflect well on us or look good . It's a tad embarrassing as things have turned out , and there'll be a few red faces and questions to answer no doubt . But im not getting into finger pointing or conspiracies either , just pointing out the obvious that it isn't a good situation for us to project today .

town did not call the pitch off,so lets stop the conspiracy theories. if anyone is to blame it was the match commisioner. town have no say if the game was to be played or not.

I don't think there is anyone putting forward conspiracy theories, wonky, because who in their right mind would want to play on a Tuesday evening before we play our arch-rivals Haven next Sunday?     It still doesn't make it any more palatable that the decision was made by a match commissioner and I'll bet that the pitch at this time, 45 minutes before kick-off is perfectly playable.

do you think it will be tuesday keith?

I would think both clubs will want it played sooner rather than later because we play Haven and they play Warrington next weekend, so they will look for an extra days recovery for the players.    Tuesday seems to be the day to play it.

Agreed . Free weekends for two clubs together could be a couple of months or more away , and a midweek game before another

hugely important league game isn't good , as we see what happens on the Good Friday / Easter Monday turn around .

Tues for me too, lets get it out of the way, we travel there on a thurs so it's only right get premier sports to show it on tues too!!

Surely Tuesday is the only option if its to be played midweek. Quick turn arounds aren't good. It cost sheffield big style over the Easter period.

And several others in both leagues . Those Easter Monday fixtures are an anomaly . Very unpredictable results . You wouldn't want to risk that in a league week , huge advantage for the team we'd be playing and could cost us priceless points if we're low in petrol .

YE i went down at 11 but was all locked up so could not see what the ground was like.

Ye,i went down to the ground at 2oclock with my mates expecting the game to be on.I would like to know WHY there was not even a placard or something to tell us why the game was cancelled,i think it bloody stinks that not only me but the 4 cars behind me were not aware the game was off,a simple little note would have gone halfway to making the blow a bit softer but, no, that is not way workington town works they make you travel if only 2 miles but i made the effort so why could they not,plus the cars behind also had to travel from god knows where,come on town,it'not the first time this has happened and i would imagine not the last.On a last note i passed (peter)gilmore on the way down to the ground so i do not know if it was peter or clifford that was the commissioner that cancelled the game,but just a note to tell us the games off would have put a lot of people at ease instead of being so ###### off with club and maybe making their minds up to not bother turning up again.

Surely IF it is going to be Tuesday night an announcement would be needed today???

I understand frustrations but they did put it on the website very quickly which led to the forum etc , and we often complain about communication being sluggish so it's hard to fault them on that front here .

I understand frustrations but they did put it on the website very quickly which led to the forum etc , and we often complain about communication being sluggish so it's hard to fault them on that front here .

Thats fine david if you looked at the website but by the time i surfaced from my crib the website is the last thing on your mind,gametime is my only fixation and not even thinking of the website,but has i have already said a little note explaining why the game was off would have made my day a little bit easier to take and also for the 4 cars behind me so it seems has though they never looked at the website has well,but point taken about the website david,and even now the sun is out and no bloody game,roll on tues or weds.

We need Batley to keep these at arms length .

I know pal , of course . Hard to cover all bases . Fully understand there . We all had our game head on !

I'm getting scores from everywhere on my magic machine bar Sheffield ?

We need Batley to keep these at arms length .

ha ha batley deny the jampots a BP in the last 5 seconds. Lord haw haw is raging lol