Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weloveyouwakefield2

Bradford Bulls Super League licence (merged threads)

25 posts in this topic

Yeh, it came as no surprise but was a welcome peice of news. Something to build towards with the successes this season, we just need more peeps through the gates. It was a decent forum, but I had a good 5 minute chat with a senior member of staff about a few other things. While I believed the last lot, this group seems to be a good bunch but the work will take time.

Good news,lets hope there is a big turn out on friday night.A near 20,000 crowd would greatly encourage the new owners and the weather is looking o.k.

I love the comment on today's T&A piece from Blake Solly about cash flow being tight. Maybe it would be helped by giving the Bulls the full amount of SKY money.

The RFL Board of Directors has agreed to extend Bradford Bulls’ Super League licence for a further 12 months to the end of the 2014 season.

The Board granted Bradford Bulls a 12-month licence to compete in the Super League in 2013 and it was always planned that this situation would be reviewed in April 2013 for a decision on the club’s position in 2014.

The decision follows a detailed review of the progress made by Bradford since the club was taken under new ownership in August 2012. The licence has been granted under the same terms as the award of the licence for the 2013 season.

-ends-

John Ledger

Communications Manager

It's the price we had to pay to the other clubs to buy their votes for being allowed back. No doubt it will be recouped in future years...

I am very pleased to hear this. I think Bradford are making a real go of it and deserve an equal share, but I guess there are issues I am not aware of?

Perhaps the deduction was a deterrent against people walking away from their debts?

What doesn't make sense is for other clubs to pocket the money themselves, rather than its being spent more generally for the benefit of the game - that amount of money would make a big difference to our World cup marketing budget.

Yorkshire Radio Super League twitter (link here) has said The RFL said it was the Bulls' idea as a sweetener to allow us back into Super League.

Correct me if I’m going nuts (which I might be) – but as far as I’m aware this was brought up recently at the fans forum at the club. I must stress I wasn’t there, so I could be getting the wrong end of the stick but the actual punishment/sweetener (!) was that we actually would receive no Sky money for an entire season. However so the club didn’t have to go without, this was split over 2013 and - provisionally at the time-  2014. At the meeting the club implied they have known they had no room to negotiate on this for a long time, and the fact that so many people are surprised at this news is probably due to the way that neither the RFL or the Bulls have made the details of this deal explicitly clear. It works in the clubs favour as they can play the victim, when essentially they agreed to it. Not sure I agree with that, but then I have heard this “sweetener” tale before, but I guess we’ll never know how much Omar and co asked for it or if the RFL pushed for it (if you see what I mean).

Anyhow it's great for all concerned that a club which has done so much for SL from day 1 is looking onwards and upwards.

I wish people would stop banging on about this!

:lol:

But still not the same amount of funding as other superleague clubs, whats the rationale behind this?

But still not the same amount of funding as other superleague clubs, whats the rationale behind this?

cos they had future funding advanced to bail then out the ######....

thats how i understand it anyway

Nope!

For what seems like the thousandth time – the money Bradford were forwarded in the 2012 admiration period was money that the club would have gotten, just (very) slightly in advance. By the time the club came out administration they had had no more and no less than Sky funding than any other club that year. Not that hard to grasp, yet some people still make an almighty fist of it.

As you will read above it's actually more to do as a sweetner to take over the club, rather than anything to do with this issue which resolved cash flow.

Even though we knew we'd be a full sky funding short of a picnic for two seasons, it's only come to light today with the link I quoted about it actually being Bradford's idea of a sweetener. The notion, among others, was bandied around but it's only this which puts it in the domain. So it sheds a little light from whence there was none.

Even though we knew we'd be a full sky funding short of a picnic for two seasons, it's only come to light today with the link I quoted about it actually being Bradford's idea of a sweetener. The notion, among others, was bandied around but it's only this which puts it in the domain. So it sheds a little light from whence there was none.

The club has consistently said that it was presented with this arrangement as the only way to get  a super league licence ever since the deal to buy the club was struck. Why anyone would accept some inane ramblings on twitter over direct quotes from Gerry Sutcliffe and Omar Khan amazes me as no-one at the RFL/SL has come out and denied the veracity of what they said. They've said this long and loud, and it would surely have been contradicted by the authorities if untrue, not to mention that it would have been uttterly stupid to have made the statements.

For most fans, we're just glad to be playing anyone, but I'm not alone in thinking that some other clubs need to take long hard look at themselves if they couldn't come up with a better idea of using the money than simply lining their own pockets.