Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

Beer at rugby league grounds

76 posts in this topic

Hemel had Red Kite from the Vale Brewery on for the Gateshead game, which was interesting.

Tasty too; hope that one stays for a while.

On Radio 2 a couple of weeks ago there was a business report that said that sales of golden ales and beers had overtaken larger in pubs.

Really? Didn't know that....I'm just going off observations of my friends and work colleagues....we're all in our early 30's....and everyone seems to be right over the whole lager/cider thing.....some of my younger brother's mates are also getting a whiff and they're mid-20's......a few yrs ago it seemed only blokes in the 40yrs+ range were into real ale

Come to Hemel. Amazingly well looked after beer. And a free house so always an interesting choice on tap.

It'd be nice to have some linkup between clubs and their local breweries, but is the demand for real ale enough, compared to the lager market?

Good point, but the real ale market has consistently seen growth over last few years, whilst all other drinks have been in decline.

Basically it is extra work for the clubs to put real ale on,

•It takes longer to pour and serve - you can't really have several pints prepoured.

•It needs to be kept well - not a problem if you know what you ae doing but a lot of people ( even in the trade) think you need so kind of degree to to this.

•there can be a lot of wastage since once the cask is opened it last about 3-4 days max, and the barrel can't be moved so any left over will not be ok for the next match and cannot be sold.

So the are a lot of issues that the clubs really don't want to be bothered serving real ale at matches. Also considering the prices at matches I don't think many people will be prepared to pay any big supplement on a pint.

Clubs needs to make a profit.

They should sell whatever they can store cheaply and sell in quantity for profit.

Hence Carling in Plastic bottles at £3 or £4 a pop, which is recycled back from the toilets

Lots of snobbery around beer - I find it a very strange thing.

People will drink what they are happy with. Carlsberg would never be my beer of choice, but at matches if I fancy a lager I will have a couple.

Drinking Ale is no more sophisticated than drinking lager, I enjoy the odd ale and trying new ones when I am out, but 90% of the time I would go for lager. Live and let live.

People will drink what they are happy with. Carlsberg would never be my beer of choice, but at matches if I fancy a lager I will have a couple.

Drinking Ale is no more sophisticated than drinking lager, I enjoy the odd ale and trying new ones when I am out, but 90% of the time I would go for lager. Live and let live.

Nobody is saying witchpiss shouldn't be on sale as well

:lol:  fair enough.

Exactly. Wider choice is what would be nice.

As an aside, I remember being told many moons ago about how the human body is an amazing thing; it can turn a pint of a quality bitter into a premium Australian lager. :D

Exactly. Wider choice is what would be nice.

As an aside, I remember being told many moons ago about how the human body is an amazing thing; it can turn a pint of a quality bitter into a premium Australian lager. :D

when the kangaroos toured in I think 1990 they were sponsored by castle mains XXXX

The players were given gallons of the stuff for free

One of the Australian players remarked at how amazed he was that sebody could train a cat crouch over an empty beer can

You don't see castlenaine these days so life isn't all bad

I would have said the same perhaps 10 years ago, but after turned approx 30years old I got more into ales. I just got fed up with soapy tasting stella and Kronbourg etc despite obviosly enjoying getting leathered.

I think real ale tastes better and is more interesting to drink. Drinking cold lager is good in high summer but really it is to either cool down or get lagered or both.

Real ales all the way for mine. No reason not to do it. A huge beer tent should be at every ##### rugby ground!

A huge beer tent should be at every ##### rugby ground!

(I dare not tell him there's one at Odsal...)

;)

I would have said the same perhaps 10 years ago, but after turned approx 30years old I got more into ales. I just got fed up with soapy tasting stella and Kronbourg etc despite obviosly enjoying getting leathered.

I think real ale tastes better and is more interesting to drink. Drinking cold lager is good in high summer but really it is to either cool down or get lagered or both.

Real ales all the way for mine. No reason not to do it. A huge beer tent should be at every ##### rugby ground!

I agree there would appear yo be a market for it so the clubs should certainly look at it. Not sure how practical a beer tent is - if it was outside the ground they wouldnt have a license.

You get plenty of fancy ales and ciders etc in bottles nowadays, surely a couple of guest beers cpuld be tried each week?

I expect the margins are higher on carlsberg and tetleys!

Well the big union clubs do it

It's a question of having skilled bar staff

Yeah I worked in a pub for a few weeks once so know a little about keeping ale (not much though!)

My point was if the place is only open every fortnight you might have a problem keeping tapped barrels hence the comment about SL clubs. If the bar is open every day (union clubs?) then no problem.

Again with wine, ale and lager come to Hemel to get good beer!

I rarely drink at games, don't have the bladder capacity and end up missing too much action (that may be more info than you needed).

However, despite my love of a decent ale, it does take a while to do properly and I doubt I'd have the patience (nor would those in the queue behind me), so I'm happy with some Aussie lager etc.

Agree with the comment about wine, never even seen any for sale anywhere. I'd be more tempted by a glass or three of Prosecco than I am by either ale or Aussie swill.

As well as the usual range of lagers(Carlsberg, Becks Vier, Stella £3.10 pint) we offer seven days a week:

Cask Ales

Greene King IPA (a session ale) £2.20 pint

Vale Brewery (Buckinghamshire) Red Kite premium ale (£2.80pint)

We vary our cask ales from time to time

Cider

Kingstone Press Draught (£3.10 pint)

Kingstone Press 50cl Pet (£3.10)

Wines

Single Serve

Chardonnay

Pinot Grignio

Sauvingon Blanc

Rose (Zinfandel)

Merlot

All at £3.10 for 175 ml

Sparking

Cremant de Bougogne (Pinot Noir & Chardonnay)

Rose

Both at £12 for 75cl

We also offer:

Coffee

Cafe Creme

Cappucino

Moccachino

Hot chocolate

As well as a top value pre-match meal!

(Booking essential - limited availability)

As well as the usual range of lagers(Carlsberg, Becks Vier, Stella £3.10 pint) we offer seven days a week:

Cask Ales

Greene King IPA (a session ale) £2.20 pint

Vale Brewery (Buckinghamshire) Red Kite premium ale (£2.80pint)

We vary our cask ales from time to time

Cider

Kingstone Press Draught (£3.10 pint)

Kingstone Press 50cl Pet (£3.10)

Wines

Single Serve

Chardonnay

Pinot Grignio

Sauvingon Blanc

Rose (Zinfandel)

Merlot

All at £3.10 for 175 ml

Sparking

Cremant de Bougogne (Pinot Noir & Chardonnay)

Rose

Both at £12 for 75cl

We also offer:

Coffee

Cafe Creme

Cappucino

Moccachino

Hot chocolate

As well as a top value pre-match meal!

(Booking essential - limited availability)

Class!

if Hemel can do it, why not others? I can't drink very much these days but I do enjoy a pint or two of good ale.

Someone mentioned London pride earlier in the thread which drew a mixed response; personally I love it.

There's room for the good beer and the witches urine (not so sure about the Aussie sat pee tho)

Class!

if Hemel can do it, why not others? I can't drink very much these days but I do enjoy a pint or two of good ale.

Someone mentioned London pride earlier in the thread which drew a mixed response; personally I love it.

There's room for the good beer and the witches urine (not so sure about the Aussie sat pee tho)

I presume Hemel have a 7 day a week club house on the ground. Its a bit trickier with a stadium bar, but not impossible.

Hemel for Super League!

I think the reason they can do this is because, with the greatest respect, they aren't catering for thousands. The reason these ales are better is because they aren't done in mass production nor on the cheap.

But I'm all for it, if clubs can build a fanbase on another footing then the two (booze and rugby) could grow together.

I'd be more tempted by a glass or three of Prosecco than I am by either ale or Aussie swill.

I'm not sure I'm man enough to drink a flute of fizz at the rugby.

I'm not sure I'm man enough to drink a flute of fizz at the rugby.

That's something I only do indoors, behind closed curtains....

That's something I only do indoors, behind closed curtains....

Balls. I've seen your YouTube channel.