Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sports Prophet

Clubs aiming beyond their capabilities

84 posts in this topic

Best to succeed by understanding your limitations and rectifying them than to fail by acting recklessly and irresponsibly

I think you answered for yourself here in the merger dept of Wakefield District, have you considered Hull, Leeds and Bradford, Wire and Widnes, Saits and Wigan as mergers, the 15k you speak about would be very realistic but if your going to talk geography discuss the whole are of rugby league not just one area that you dont appear to know much about in respect of anti merger.

I think you answered for yourself here in the merger dept of Wakefield District, have you considered Hull, Leeds and Bradford, Wire and Widnes, Saits and Wigan as mergers, the 15k you speak about would be very realistic but if your going to talk geography discuss the whole are of rugby league not just one area that you dont appear to know much about in respect of anti merger.

As I suggested, KR will be likely move to Championship. Leeds and Bradford both have the potential for 15k crowds. I said Widnes should move to Championship, while saints and wigan have potential for 15k.

My point was that those Wakefield clubs should still exist in the Champ while one super club replaces them in the SL. It was not so much of a mention of a merger.

In fact, if a new super club would not be supported I would still contemplate all three clubs existing in the Champ rather than SL.

lets look at games that sell both to tv and to match attendants. You cant loose hull kr from super league the hull derbie is one of the biggest games in the fixture calendar 19,000 there this season while being live on tv even leeds v bradford couldnt match that this season. The games that sell are whats important to lift the profile of our game. wigan v saints , wigan v warrington both 20,000 plus gates. To me its the only way forward a ten team break away playing each other 3 times no relegation top four play off so top teams under pressure to make it. Bring back Great Britain one off home and away test v Australia and New Zealand during season.  

lets look at games that sell both to tv and to match attendants. You cant loose hull kr from super league the hull derbie is one of the biggest games in the fixture calendar 19,000 there this season while being live on tv even leeds v bradford couldnt match that this season. The games that sell are whats important to lift the profile of our game. wigan v saints , wigan v warrington both 20,000 plus gates. To me its the only way forward a ten team break away playing each other 3 times no relegation top four play off so top teams under pressure to make it. Bring back Great Britain one off home and away test v Australia and New Zealand during season.  

some interesting points and a very valid one for the Hull derby, yet I think the average attendances are still the measure and KR just don't have the potential to cut it with the big boys.

The 10 team model would work but I would say 27 games in a season is too many. Home and away with an additional rivalry round at a central venue would be an ideal 19 games. Top 4 finals would be good but should be at neutral big stadia to accomodate a big crowd. Once the comp grows, you can add more finals teams and contemplate home drawn finals for top qualifiers.

GB, that's another debate but I would like to see the return of tours to the UK where they play our top SL clubs. Almost like a Lions tour but the Aussies and kiwis coming to us with a five nations tournament in the middle of world cups.

I'm already into the rocket: but it really does demand a decent vinaigrette

By all means use the stairs , but dont forget to take a ladder with you so you can climb into the rocket when you get there

Nothing new here, Can I suggest a few more topics you may wish to try?

Salford should change their name to Manchester (posted at least every couple of months)

London what do they bring? (monthly topics)

London essential to the SKy contract (monthly topic)

French teams we need more in SL (quarterly)

P & R

Stadiums square or otherwise.

Yes , but it is that ' failure ' that drives people / business to keep striving to improve

I'd say you still could have worked harder

Pointing out "failure" is not really a way to motivate people.

In my opinion......

Cats, Tigers and Fev would all be far better suited as Championship rivals feeding into one Super club

Which would give us a give us a team in Wakefield watched by a few thousand fans, a team in Cas watched by a few thousand fans, a team in Fev watched by a few thousand fans and the new Super Club watched by NO fans because they'll be spending their money watching THEIR team in Wakey, Cas or Fev.

Which would give us a give us a team in Wakefield watched by a few thousand fans, a team in Cas watched by a few thousand fans, a team in Fev watched by a few thousand fans and the new Super Club watched by NO fans because they'll be spending their money watching THEIR team in Wakey, Cas or Fev.

Pretty much what i was going to post. Let nature takes its course on this one. One of the three will eventually become the dominant club in the area. Forcing a merger will not work.

Is it not maybe just being better than the competition?

As an aside, I think it's the inescapable facts of life that will decide the future of Fev, Cas and , not what a few fans think.

See , you are setting limits ? , dont set a limit and you will never stop trying to improve yourself

As long as there is an empty seat at your clubs stadium , your management have failed , take that mindset and you will succeed

By that criteria that 'Management' of the most successful and best supported sporting clubs have failed.

By that criteria that 'Management' of the most successful and best supported sporting clubs have failed.

Yeah that Jack Gibson was such an underachiever, don't know how he slept at night.

I think they should just go 4 leagues of 10 with P&R and the top 10 teams will takes its own course as it does in all sports in Europe

I think they should just go 4 leagues of 10 with P&R and the top 10 teams will takes its own course as it does in all sports in Europe

theres summat that gets u tingling now that the back end of the football season is here- oh yer prom and rel -in otherwords- the whole point of the season!

For yet another season the talking point in our country's major sport is the relegation dogfight in the Premier and the promotion from the championship

For yet another season the talking point in our country's major sport is the relegation dogfight in the Premier and the promotion from the championship

Quite.

It's more exciting than the talking point being the collapse of SL clubs and the slow death of the championship.

Are you proposing we all switch to soccer BTW?

Because relegation dogfights that get people talking and watching are very rare in RL.

Always have been.

A "few thousand fans" don't watch any Championship club apart from the two who still think they may get in SL, then it's only 2,000 fans.

Clubs who will not get in Superleague ever again average 900 fans.

The Wakefield gates and the proposed stadium are not for throwing away on a scheme that will not appeal to any existing fans, and in it's early stages will not attract a significant new fanbase.

It's a shame people can't recognise the potential of Wakefield especially Mr. Nahaboo!

theres summat that gets u tingling now that the back end of the football season is here- oh yer prom and rel -in otherwords- the whole point of the season!

Im a football fan and went to watch Oldham on Tuesday night in a game the team needed to win to avoid relegation. It was a great game to be at because it mattered to all 3,800 latics fans in the ground, P&R is the Only way forward. There is a reason it happens in every sport in this country, It even happens in Cricket now.  

Im a football fan and went to watch Oldham on Tuesday night in a game the team needed to win to avoid relegation. It was a great game to be at because it mattered to all 3,800 latics fans in the ground, P&R is the Only way forward. There is a reason it happens in every sport in this country, It even happens in Cricket now.

We're not football

We're not cricket

Last time there was P & R it was one down and you had situations like 2003 and when the relegated team was obvious only several weeks into the season. They won one match. Then again in 2005 when again it was all over before it began when the relegated team won two matches.

The study was done and over the seasons only a few games were relegation dog fights that attracted fans in greater number. Even then such as Widnes.v.Cas 2004 only attracted an extra 830 fans.

The only reason there could be a relegation dogfight this year is that several clubs are collapsing.

I'd love to see the crowd for a Salford.v.London winner stays up........

There is a reason it happens in every sport in this country, It even happens in Cricket now.

Just to be clear, it happens in a minority of British sports. Football, English rugby union, first class cricket. That is the least watched form of cricket, with has an average attendance in the hundreds. And the county championship was only split into two to reduce the number of one-sided matches in an 18 team league which were seen as detrimental to producing England players, a reason that is not applicable to rugby league.

The much more popular FPT20 and the YB40 both use conferences and playoffs.

London have the potential do they?

Oh right

Yes London do have the potential and any person with an IQ above 65 could tell you that.

Furthermore, to the one who said that there would be no fans to watch a new Super Wakefield SL club, then in this instance I would send Cas back to Championship with Fev and let Wildcats be the focus SL club for the area. SL cannot sustain that many teams in one small area.

All sports across the world have had to move with the times at one stage or another by either folding or merging clubs where the financial aspects no longer support a club's existence in the top flight. SL is not exempt from this and while it is a hard pill to swallow, it is one the three clubs in the Wakefield district will sooner or later..

All sports across the world have had to move with the times at one stage or another by either folding or merging clubs where the financial aspects no longer support a club's existence in the top flight. .

No they haven't.

No they haven't.

additionally with moving (same difference), all major club sporting competitions have had to deal with issues like merging/folding/moving clubs or realigning the club structure due to the lack of sustainability of clubs.

NRL, Wales RU, Super 10 Rugby, NFL, AFL, MLB, NHL, NBA. one each includes:

St George Illawarra

Wales RU club realignment

southern hem restructure for provincial over club competitions

St Louis Cardinals,

South Melbourne Swans

NY Giants

Atlanta Thrashers

Kansas City Kings

SL will too, its evolution baby

additionally with moving (same difference), all major club sporting competitions have had to deal with issues like merging/folding/moving clubs or realigning the club structure due to the lack of sustainability of clubs.

NRL, Wales RU, Super 10 Rugby, NFL, AFL, MLB, NHL, NBA. one each includes:

St George Illawarra

Wales RU club realignment

southern hem restructure for provincial over club competitions

St Louis Cardinals,

South Melbourne Swans

NY Giants

Atlanta Thrashers

Kansas City Kings

SL will too, its evolution baby

So not all sports then... in fact hardly any.