Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Sam Tomkins to NZ Warriors in 2015 (merged threads)

225 posts in this topic

sadly not- would hate to see him go to ru as much as any other rl fan- i am the type of rl fan who faces up to facts and reality of a modern sporting world dominated by celeb and money.

Well the NRL has as much, if not more money than the English RU Premiership so Tomkins wouldn't lack for cash if he went down under.

sadly not- would hate to see him go to ru as much as any other rl fan- i am the type of rl fan who faces up to facts and reality of a modern sporting world dominated by celeb and money.

It's not a reality. He can probably gets as much celeb status in RL as he does in RU. He's is Skys poster boy for the sport. Hence him being in the advert and having a part to play in SL superstars ect.

Then money I believe he's paid quite well in RL, isn't it over 200k between Sky and Wigan? I may be corrected but regardless of that he can get more money in the NRL than RU in England. The NRL is much more attractive than English RU. Hotter weather, playing in a sport which he's already proven in which is a higher intensity which will up his game and also playing in a country which is in the top 2 sports in the country.

Only an offer from France in RU would be a more attractive offer than the NRL.

Well the NRL has as much, if not more money than the English RU Premiership so Tomkins wouldn't lack for cash if he went down under.

Then the thing that could sway him towards union could be the fantastic international scene

his career will end aged 30 if he stays in rl- if he goes to ru he will end up being the presenter of the one show or summat- get a reality check ffs its  not  hard

his career will end aged 30 if he stays in rl- if he goes to ru he will end up being the presenter of the one show or summat- get a reality check ffs its  not  hard

Cheers, Nostradamus. I guess you've pretty much settled the debate then.

his career will end aged 30 if he stays in rl- if he goes to ru he will end up being the presenter of the one show or summat- get a reality check ffs its not hard

Yep like every RL players ends at 30. There isn't any opportunities in RL once you hit that awful age.

I need to get a reality check when you think he'll become the presenter of the one show if he goes to RU. I'll say no more.

Cheers, Nostradamus. I guess you've pretty much settled the debate then.

sorry guys but its just reality these days, you cant blame any sportsman for making the most out of his talents, look at hanley and offiah now prob the best rugby talents ever seen in this country but cos that was a different time they stayed with us and now scratch a living here and there, its a fully grown media driven celeb world now, tomkins wont get to be the captain of qos (hosted by jonny wilkinson) in 2023 if he doesnt join the darkside, sad but true.

sorry guys but its just reality these days, you cant blame any sportsman for making the most out of his talents, look at hanley and offiah now prob the best rugby talents ever seen in this country but cos that was a different time they stayed with us and now scratch a living here and there, its a fully grown media driven celeb world now, tomkins wont get to be the captain of qos (hosted by jonny wilkinson) in 2023 if he doesnt join the darkside, sad but true.

How many ex-Union players are now big celebs outside of the game? I can think of Matt Dawson and, um...

Matt Dawson, Mike Tindall, Jonny Wilkinson, Austin Healy, Martin Johnson, Jason Robinson.

All have profiles in the general media.

Bedlam is right. The national profile of Rugby League in the UK has collapsed since the early 1990s. Players like Tomkins, Sinfield, Hall etc are not the household names Edwards, Offiah, Hanely and co were.

You used to get 7 or 8 million watching Great Britian v Australia on the BBC. Not any more you don't. England v Wales in Rugby Union certainly does.

Mike Tindall, Jonny Wilkinson, Austin Healy, Martin Johnson, Jason Robinson.

Dawson is one of the team captains on a nationally broadcast sports quiz. Apart from guesting on the same quiz or being on tv to talk about RU, what celebrity status do the others have outside of their sport? Oops I forgot Austin Healey was in that hugely forgettable game show about holes in walls. Big Gun meant celebrity status outside of their comfort zone.

Dawson is one of the team captains on a nationally broadcast sports quiz. Apart from guesting on the same quiz or being on tv to talk about RU, what celebrity status do the others have outside of their sport? Oops I forgot Austin Healey was in that hugely forgettable game show about holes in walls. Big Gun meant celebrity status outside of their comfort zone.

fact is no matter how great a rugby player tomkins is in the next 7-8 years (injuries permitting)when that time is over if he stays in rl he will be a total unknown to 90% of the population with the "what next" syndrome looming,im sure he loves rl with a passion but its human nature to want to be the best sports star in the land, you talk about the nrl but most british rl fans cant even be arsed to subscribe to channel that shows almost every game for next to nothing!

tomkins will go to union with joel, become one of the biggest names and highly paid stars their sport has ever seen, edwards farrel and phil clarke will see to that, good luck to him whatever he does, hope he stays in rl but find it highly unlikely -returning to eng at 30 something, as forgotten no-body wont keep in in "question of sport " appearences and countless other money making celebrity spin offs to keep him and his family comfy for the rest of their days, sorry but thats just how it is and no one will be able to blame him when he goes -which he will.

Wilkinson is a household name because he kicked a last minute drop goal to win the World Cup on terrestrial TV. If Sam Tomkins can score the try that wins our world cup for England in front of a packed out Old Trafford live on the BBC, then there is a fairly good chance that he too will become a household name.

The NRL will give him a healthy bank balance and the celebrity status he apparently seeks, I guess it all depends on how much of a home boy he is - moving overseas isn't for everyone. Personally I think he should try Australia and see how it goes, if he comes back after a couple of seasons the RU lot will still be interested.

If he does go to RU, fair play but he will be wasting his talent playing 15s. Maybe 7s at the Olympics is his target?

I can't decide if Iestyn Harris will be a help or hinderance when it comes to any possible advice for Sam Tomkins about rugby union.

In an ideal world, England beat Oz in the first game of the World Cup, NZ beat Oz in the semi and we beat them in the final. Our increased profile them persuades the boy to stay in TGG. He sees out his last year with Wigan, goes to NZ for a few years, we get some classy Kiwis as part compensation, Hampshire steps up. He then comes home to Wigan and finishes his career in style. Given his love of the game, and status within it, that could well appear more than living in faceless Herts, the west country or the Midlands, none of which are a patch on Wigan. And he keeps his soul.

In an ideal world, England beat Oz in the first game of the World Cup, NZ beat Oz in the semi and we beat them in the final. Our increased profile them persuades the boy to stay in TGG. He sees out his last year with Wigan, goes to NZ for a few years, we get some classy Kiwis as part compensation, Hampshire steps up. He then comes home to Wigan and finishes his career in style. Given his love of the game, and status within it, that could well appear more than living in faceless Herts, the west country or the Midlands, none of which are a patch on Wigan. And he keeps his soul.

He signs for a union club. Bradford sign him a few years after, then we have a legal battle and go bust.

:unsure:

whereabouts are you exiled?    :)

Given Widdop has just signed a $550,000 per year deal - equivalent to £370k a year, Sam would command at least the same, probably even greater.  I would imagine offers for Sam would be in the region of $650k a year - £440k a year

These are figures that can only be matched in Union by becoming

a) A Marquee player

B) A regular England player

c) Part funded by the RFU

Given the RFU have stated they will not contribute to cross coders any more, and there is no guarantee that he would become an England regular, he would have to take someone's marquee spot - and how many clubs would be willing to risk it on Tompkins?

Only 3 unions clubs turn a profit, and a small one at that - who's going to increase their spend by best part of £0.5m on such a risk?

The most likely scenario in my eyes is Sam signs a whopper deal with an NRL club and I wouldnt be surprised to see Joel join him in a couple of years

whereabouts are you exiled?    :)

Surrey - just down the road from the RL hotbed of Croydon. Not a patch on Wigan.

I think you can forget the West Country or East Midlands as possible destinations. There is only one place he's likely to turn up in RU and that is Hertfordshire. I also got the impression that Joel's switch was significantly more to do with him and his girlfriend wanting to live down south near London, than any burning desire to play RU. With the Pie connection at Saracens I imagine it was a pretty straight forward decision where he could continue to earn a living playing rugby.

As for Sam, I imagine a great deal depends on what he wants from life. We know that Australia has some serious attractions but it is an expensive place these days, everyone I speak to who has visited NZ says what an amazing place it is with awesome quality of life and relatively affordable. As this thing moves forward, I think it (wish it) will become clearer that he will stay in the game he knows and go earn himself a slice of the enhanced NRL cap.

You had me at "beat them in the Final"!

Actually that's not quite true, you had me at "England beat Oz in the first game of the World Cup".

The Rugby Union Premiership's £152 million TV deal comes on stream next season and the increased revenues are going to lead to an increase of the salary cap.

As things stand the Marque Player system means one player is excluded from a the cap anyway. Of the Union club's with serious cash both Bath and Saracens are owned by billionaires and Leicester, Northampton and Quins are commercially very strong and would be able to splash the cash if they were allowed too.

If he played for England RU he would get paid even more.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Given Widdop has just signed a $550,000 per year deal - equivalent to £370k a year, Sam would command at least the same, probably even greater.  I would imagine offers for Sam would be in the region of $650k a year - £440k a year

These are figures that can only be matched in Union by becoming

a) A Marquee player

B) A regular England player

c) Part funded by the RFU

Given the RFU have stated they will not contribute to cross coders any more, and there is no guarantee that he would become an England regular, he would have to take someone's marquee spot - and how many clubs would be willing to risk it on Tompkins?

Only 3 unions clubs turn a profit, and a small one at that - who's going to increase their spend by best part of £0.5m on such a risk?

The most likely scenario in my eyes is Sam signs a whopper deal with an NRL club and I wouldnt be surprised to see Joel join him in a couple of years

Sorry Gruff, I have to disagree. There is no way that Tomkins will command a salary equal to Widdop let alone more than him. Widdop is a stand off tried and tested at the best club in the world. Tomkins is very skillful player, but no club will spend the kind of cash you have just mentioned. Not for his first three year contract anyway. After a few years in NRL, then only his performances will dictate that

Tomkins will command a salary equivalent to Widdop in the NRL, otherwise he'd get it elsewhere (RU). Quite simply in my view he is a better talent than Widdop with a much higher ceiling. If you swapped Widdop for Tomkins in the current Wigan side they would be substantially less dynamic in attack. Just because he doesn't play in the NRL currently doesn't mean he isn't one of the most talented attacking players of his generation.