Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Sam Tomkins to NZ Warriors in 2015 (merged threads)

225 posts in this topic

Because he is your bog standard, one-eyed Australian. Probably never left the country in his whole pitiful life, in fact probably hasn't left his bedroom since the internet was invented.

How do you know that Hannibal?

Tomkins has improved this year. Also Barba was brilliant at catching the ball on the full when he started playing first grade NRL. Don't forget Slater who NEVER drops anything.

Why can't you accept that a player playing in Super League is better than the majority the NRL has to offer.

You do not know that Tomkins is better than the majority of NRL fullbacks, I don't think he is, we all have our opinions.

The article says the transfer fee would be 250k..

That's close to the $1.5 million that Hannibal would like I guess.

Anyhoo, many twists and turns in this story probably, I read this morning even Tom Briscoe's move might not happen now, so there's every chance Sam Tomkins could have a change of heart.

I think someone is just a bit fed up because their club is struggling a bit at the moment.

Which Hannibal?

Hannibal used to have tiresome arguments with East Coast Tiger, a very one-eyed Aussie, who certainly thought that no NRL club would be interested in Sam Burgess.

However, as AndyCapp is new to the board and has not been on it before, so I am not sure how he knows who Hannibal was.

The article says the transfer fee would be 250k..

Quite. £165k doesn't seem over the top for a transfer fee.

However I do think his $1m dollars is OTT for a rookie to the NRL (as in an unproven newbie in the NRL). Personally I can't see Sam being worth the same as Inglis or Thurston right now to an NRL side. 

If he moves to the NRL he is going to be high profile anyway and there will be plenty of people wanting to knock him over on and off the field. A $1m price tag will only make the pressure and any fall all the greater. I would have thought a better strategy would be go in for a lower amount say $750k for a couple of years and if he really does set the NRL alight that next contract would probably be worth $1m plus. 

Anyhoo, many twists and turns in this story probably, I read this morning even Tom Briscoe's move might not happen now, so there's every chance Sam Tomkins could have a change of heart.

I think someone is just a bit fed up because their club is struggling a bit at the moment.

Have Cronulla realised that Briscoe ain't all that?

Have Cronulla realised that Briscoe ain't all that?

Probably the other way round! Anyway, I can't see it anywhere else, so it's still up in the air I suppose.

Hannibal used to have tiresome arguments with East Coast Tiger, a very one-eyed Aussie, who certainly thought that no NRL club would be interested in Sam Burgess.

However, as AndyCapp is new to the board and has not been on it before, so I am not sure how he knows who Hannibal was.

Indeed.

However I do think his $1m dollars is OTT for a rookie to the NRL (as in an unproven newbie in the NRL).

That's a bit disrespectful to Tomkins and Wigan. He is a better player than most in the NRL and Wigan are a better side than most in the NRL. Whilst the competition might be better on the whole, there are only a couple of clubs in the NRL that aren't a step down from Wigan.

Indeed.

That's a bit disrespectful to Tomkins and Wigan. He is a better player than most in the NRL and Wigan are a better side than most in the NRL. Whilst the competition might be better on the whole, there are only a couple of clubs in the NRL that aren't a step down from Wigan.

Yeah, of course he's better than most in the NRL, but $1 million rates him as the second best player in the league. It's entirely understandable that people might object to that.

Yeah, of course he's better than most in the NRL, but $1 million rates him as the second best player in the league. It's entirely understandable that people might object to that.

I don't disagree with that. I was just picking up on the point that had implied playing for Wigan wouldn't be an adequate preparation for the NRL.

Which Hannibal?

The one you used to post as until you were banned for being too arrogant.

Really?

AndyCapp Member Since 25 Mar 2010

Hannibal was posting until at least 31 May 2011 - 07:16 PM according to his profile.

Anyway who cares, Franksy is Hannibal in my mind and his style of personality will always show itself under any name, I love his posts and opinions.

I hope Tomkins moves to the NRL, there needs to be more English backs trying their hand at the top level.

Regarding how well Tomkins may do in the NRL , no australian player has had the impact on SL that he has. He'd do very well over there.

Indeed.

Don't think it is disrespectful at all.

He and his representatives are asking for a top dollar salary, a figure currently earned by only the very best NRL'ers such as Inglis, for him to play in a comp where he has no history whatsoever. As good a player as Tomkins is, I just do not rate him as highly as Inglis or Thurston at this moment in time and therefore do not think he is worthy of the $1m price tag. 

If he really wants to go, he should consider going for less than that and prove himself on the biggest stage. Give it 18 months of quality performances and clubs will be queuing up to shower him in $1m plus contracts.

He also needs to consider the baggage that will inevitably come from being the $1m Pommie which will no doubt make him a big target on and off the field.

I still don't know what to make of all this Tomkins to the Warriors episode. The media in NZ seem quite convinced, but I still wonder if his management are playing the club off against someone else (maybe the Titans or a RU side)? The Warriors have had great service from Locke and also have some great young backs coming through, like Fisiiahi and Tuimavave who were top notch NYC players. I just can't see them getting a return on investment for the amount of money being mentioned.

They do have wealthy backer in Owen Glenn, so maybe he's serious to add some international flavour to the team. Elliot continues to state how surprised he's been at the reluctance of Australian players to make the move to Auckland, so maybe they've given up and decided to target Europe's best instead? The Warriors style of play would certainly suit Tomkins game, but it's not one of the glamour clubs by any stretch!

I trust in I'll to get the best deal for Wigan and the game generally. From our perspective, having Sam play for a club with whom we have close links is good, but most importantly it gives us a good chance to get good players as part of the deal. Out biggest challenge is replacing him, even with the huge sums freed up under the cap. We have lost pretty much every match he hasn't played in over the last few years, so to say we are reliant on him is a massive under statement. Locke would go some little way to compensating. I wonder whether any other NRL club would even contemplate sending players over the other way.

I trust in I'll to get the best deal for Wigan and the game generally. From our perspective, having Sam play for a club with whom we have close links is good, but most importantly it gives us a good chance to get good players as part of the deal. Out biggest challenge is replacing him, even with the huge sums freed up under the cap. We have lost pretty much every match he hasn't played in over the last few years, so to say we are reliant on him is a massive under statement. Locke would go some little way to compensating. I wonder whether any other NRL club would even contemplate sending players over the other way.

Thought you were going to bring Eastmond back up the M5/ M6 to replace Sam?

Eastmond wouldn't be a bad replacement for Tomkins, as would Locke.

I'd be surprised if Locke would want to make the move though, as I doubt Wigan would pay him a wage anywhere near what Tomkins is receiving.

And it's not like Wigan really need the immediate transfer cash. They need good players to win titles and selling them all off to make the bank account look good isn't helping that primary goal. At what point do you stop becoming a production line to better things and start becoming the pinnacle?

Eastmond wouldn't be a bad replacement for Tomkins, as would Locke.

I'd be surprised if Locke would want to make the move though, as I doubt Wigan would pay him a wage anywhere near what Tomkins is receiving.

And it's not like Wigan really need the immediate transfer cash. They need good players to win titles and selling them all off to make the bank account look good isn't helping that primary goal. At what point do you stop becoming a production line to better things and start becoming the pinnacle?

I think the main reason behind Locke not wanting to be part of the move,  is he would get offers from other NRL clubs.

Exactly. If you were Locke, and saw the kind of numbers being thrown around the NRL at the moment you'd be crazy to move away from that.

I think all talk of Locke going to Wigan is just talk.

Maybe the NZ Warriors are looking at Tomkins not as a fullback? Either way it seems like it's a done deal now, no smoke without fire and all that...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8662453/Sam-Tomkins-a-Warrior-according-to-bookies

Funny reading these post about 'is Sam good enough', one of the problems we in the British game have always had when playing Australia is that we never really thought we were as good as them

Here we have Sam Tomkins, a cocky you lad who belives he is awesome, he can be a pain, he can be arrogant but to be honest his is blooming good

24 trys in last 10 games, last person to score that many was Martin Offiah

Funny reading these post about 'is Sam good enough', one of the problems we in the British game have always had when playing Australia is that we never really thought we were as good as them

Here we have Sam Tomkins, a cocky you lad who belives he is awesome, he can be a pain, he can be arrogant but to be honest his is blooming good

24 trys in last 10 games, last person to score that many was Martin Offiah

Agreed, I have no doubt if he went to the NRL that he'd be one of the top players there, not saying he would be the best player in the comp which is why I dont think he can command the salary that has been mentioned here but he would be an exciting addition and to see him line up against the likes of Ben Barba, Billy Slater, Greg Inglis etc every week would be awesome.

I think most decent SL players could make it into an NRL team, the biggest difference for me is the intensity week in week out. Once the players got used to that then they'd be fine!