Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gnidir

Calder, it is time?

281 posts in this topic

Why do we need a Super "Wakefield MBC" team? Is their any Guarentee it will match Wigan or Leeds both in finance or Crowds? Does it even need to do this? If the local people and Clubs dont want a "Calder" side then leave it as it is. Fev, Cas and Wakey dont need to be in Sl. They can operate as stand alone clubs that are well run and do things like they have done. If the chance of SL is there then sure they can have a try. But this silly view that Fev, Cas and Wakey should look to create some mythical Super Club that can be stronger than Leeds is a joke. Whilst the fans of the clubs on here and other forums, do not represent all, I would say they speak for the majority. The view I see is that its not going to work in the short to mid term if at all. And people say look at the Merges in Australia. They work. No the crowds are less than the original 2 clubs, most of the time and both Wests and St.George ( Illawarra seems to be have been erased now) are hardly power clubs and are most years fighting to get in the top 8. Its also pretty dumb to compare Super Market Mergers with Pro Sporting clubs that have strong emotional ties in the community. Why niot just let Wakefield, Cas and Fev get on with it. If there is a time for them to merge sometime in the future, thats up to them. Meanwhile except that Wakefield, cas and fev are stand alone clubs who want to do things their way.

Here we go again.

NRL took 4 teams averaging about 10K and turned them into 2 teams averaging 16K. This made the league more competitive and freed up extra TV cash for all NRL sides. Considering it just signed a massive TV deal and tripled its salary cap, I would say these difficult decisions could now be held up to be good ones, wouldn't you? The alternative would be those 4 teams kicking around the bottom of the division ad infinitum, dragging the league down in the process. Our alternative, in other words.

As for Wests and St George-Illawarra hardly being power clubs....wow. I'll just say Benji Marshall and 2010 Grand Final winners respectively and leave it to others to decide if those clubs might currently be attractive to young generations of fans in the areas they serve and represent.

City Loyal just to clarify, Club 1873 as you say is a club lottery that supports the youth structure and has a weekly draw with a couple of mega draws in there. Dead Shot doesnt seem to get into the detail.

Squadbuilder is supporters who pay into an account and assist the club with signing young local talent, its not a club scheme but a fan one.

I read it on Sky Sports News' internet page, the same as anyone without insider knowledge would. The only difference is that unlike them I wasn't laughing into my cornflakes whilst doing so, I was shaking my head with sadness and disillusionment.

I read it on Sky Sports News' internet page, the same as anyone without insider knowledge would. The only difference is that unlike them I wasn't laughing into my cornflakes whilst doing so, I was shaking my head with sadness and disillusionment.

Abit like the scheme at Hull KR then?   Quote  . " The Rovers Lottery is a major source of funding for our Youth and Sports Development and anyone who is a member of the Rovers Lottery is making a major contribution to the ongoing success of the Club." 

Ooooh steady. It's just a debate amongst RL fans.......

It would be a nice idea if an appeal to all those who run clubs and their fans in the area led to 100% agreement that all getting behind a merged club in Newmarket was a way forward to bring success to everyone involved and attract even more RL fans.

Have you not read the threads about the geographical dissonance associated with that idea. Have you not read the threads about the firece determination of all clubs to remain seperate entities. Why should everyone get behind Wakefield. As we stand they have an atiquated stadium whereas Fev have an upgraded modern stadium ready for action. Why niot all get behind them.

Wakefield look the best bet of the three to be sure long term but let that play out and let us see if that is the result. Why should the oher too just fall on their sword for the sake of wakefield.

I still remain unconvinced that the area cannot support two or more SL teams. Is it less populated than the St helens, Wigan area or the Warrington, Widnes urban area.? No one is suggesting that they all amalgamate., ( yet ).

I think the need and greed agenda of the big clubs and their sychophantic camp followers is behind all this so that they can split the Sky pie more narrowly.

This is all well and good for them but is counterproductive for the wider view of the health of  the game.

Here we go again.

NRL took 4 teams averaging about 10K and turned them into 2 teams averaging 16K. This made the league more competitive and freed up extra TV cash for all NRL sides. Considering it just signed a massive TV deal and tripled its salary cap, I would say these difficult decisions could now be held up to be good ones, wouldn't you? The alternative would be those 4 teams kicking around the bottom of the division ad infinitum, dragging the league down in the process. Our alternative, in other words.

As for Wests and St George-Illawarra hardly being power clubs....wow. I'll just say Benji Marshall and 2010 Grand Final winners respectively and leave it to others to decide if those clubs might currently be attractive to young generations of fans in the areas they serve and represent.

Well, by your own arithmetic, thats a loss of 8,000 fans to the game.

Furrthermore, they decided South sydney was a moribound team in a bad area and kicked them out of the league only to be reversed in the courts.

How wrong were they shown th be. Souths are now a powerhouse of a club competing at the top end of the NRL before huge crowds.

These gurus who think they alone have all the answers are often wrong and this includes St. Lyndsay of Wigan and in all probability the supporters of this reduction to ten madcap synopsis.

Salford were almost the Souths of  The SL. Watch out for them in the future.  Mergers, what a mad scenario.