Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blind side johnny

Sheffield

87 posts in this topic

Once the half back pair is sorted and regular and perhaps the new lad will help.It will be a different side.Its also a shame we dont have an old warhorse Nick Fozzard type to protect the young uns.

We definitely need someone with a bit of experience and aggression (although the aggression channeled in the right way) to lead and protect the younger lads.

where was craven today,  is he not selected

Maybe it's the fact that Morton is playing better at full-back than Craven is........

I agree that Craven is not the same player since his injury. 

Once the half back pair is sorted and regular and perhaps the new lad will help.It will be a different side.Its also a shame we dont have an old warhorse Nick Fozzard type to protect the young uns.

I agree totally and  made the same point midweek ,if only we could find a gary rose type player now it would make a world of difference because whichever way you look at it a bad side cannot lead at sheffield 16-0 at half time .

However you look at things statistics do not lie. Our inability to trouble the scoreboard after half time is a worrying trend. Fitness should not be the problem, as a young team though short of experience we should not be short of stamina. The problem is that we are gaining a reputation in the league as a forty minute side so teams are not worried if we are ahead or "in the hunt" at half time as our track record shows we will fall away in the second half.

If we had gone in at half time 16-nil down we would have capitulated in the second half and probably conceded 50. The fact that we regularly score very few (if any) points after the break means that teams come out confident that they can turn things around so Sheffield scoring 30 unanswered points just follows the same pattern as most of our games since barrow away.

It seems to me that most of our problems are in the head so perhaps our next signing should be a sports psycologist. In the meantime  we should all head for the exits at half time and start to drown our sorrows earlier than we would do normally and contemplate the customary battle to avoid relegation.

However you look at things statistics do not lie. Our inability to trouble the scoreboard after half time is a worrying trend. Fitness should not be the problem, as a young team though short of experience we should not be short of stamina. The problem is that we are gaining a reputation in the league as a forty minute side so teams are not worried if we are ahead or "in the hunt" at half time as our track record shows we will fall away in the second half.

If we had gone in at half time 16-nil down we would have capitulated in the second half and probably conceded 50. The fact that we regularly score very few (if any) points after the break means that teams come out confident that they can turn things around so Sheffield scoring 30 unanswered points just follows the same pattern as most of our games since barrow away.

To be honest what we need to do next week if we consider our selves supporters.Is after half time get behind the lads like we havnt done for along time.We have our part to play.

It seems to me that most of our problems are in the head so perhaps our next signing should be a sports psycologist. In the meantime  we should all head for the exits at half time and start to drown our sorrows earlier than we would do normally and contemplate the customary battle to avoid relegation.

What we need to do if we class ourselves as true supporters.Is next week after half time give the team.The best support they have had in along time.We have our part to play.

The last part of my post was tongue in cheek, it just emphisizes the fact that Glen needs to sort out our woeful second half performances before we end up at the bottom of the pile. I like you will be there on Sunday cheering the team on to the bitter end. A couple of morale boosting wins starting with Workington at home and things will hopefully start to improve.

The last part of my post was tongue in cheek, it just emphisizes the fact that Glen needs to sort out our woeful second half performances before we end up at the bottom of the pile. I like you will be there on Sunday cheering the team on to the bitter end. A couple of morale boosting wins starting with Workington at home and things will hopefully start to improve.

know that fella but,its a point worth bearing in mind.

What about we canvas for 4pts a win 2for a draw 1 bonus point and 1 for winning at half time.

Getting fed up with the age of the players being made an excuse. So far we have had "We are a work in progress"  (we are not we are going backwards) and "we are on a learning curve" (seems to be a downward one) and variations on the same theme. BUT - Farrell and Murphy were internationals at eighteen, Nigel S was a first team fixture at seventeen, Charnley, Liam Farrell and Tomkins seem to have been around for ages, but are barely twenty two and I think outstanding saints prospect Percival is seventeen. I stand to be corrected but I don't think any of our squad are under twenty one - they are grown men. There are teenagers out in the desert regions of Afghanistan carting 60kg backpacks around in red hot conditions and putting their lives on the line for a pittance, but does anybody want to tell them they won't be fit for purpose for another five or six years ? don't think so. There is a lot of truth in the adage that if you are good enough you are old enough. Alan Hansen was quoted as saying you don't win anything with kids  - he was only partly right, you do if they are good enough, if they aren't you shouldn't sign them. Rant over.

we all feel the same miffed... something has to change...but we a young team on a learning curve, try new things... A COACH MAYBE

glens master stroke for today is putting pryce at fullback...............................................maybe lol

Coincidently, it happened :lol:

GOR - whilst I agree with some of your points, you do need experience as well and Wigan had plenty of experienced players as well and soldiers will have older officers with them. And Alan Hansen is right, think back to great teams and they weren't all kids, experienced teams wi,n.

Then why did your coach sign so many? And how many old hands are enough?

GOR - whilst I agree with some of your points, you do need experience as well and Wigan had plenty of experienced players as well and soldiers will have older officers with them. And Alan Hansen is right, think back to great teams and they weren't all kids, experienced teams wi,n.

That's my point though WR, we don't have any players that I would call kids so I doubt they will get much better - time to stand up and be counted I reckon.  Unfortunately two of our most experienced players can't manage a full half between them, which means our interchanges are compromised - you can afford one passenger but not two. We can't afford to chop and change anymore, so a settled side containing our most experienced players is a must IMO. So my team for worky would include Craven (not played as well under GM, but he is still no worse than his replacements). Then it would be Austin, Rhodes, Hyde and Morton in the backs. Johnston and Brown at halfback. Lillicrop, Tebb (O'Brien if available) and Hepworth, Pryce  Spicer and Coleman in the back row. Interchanges Aizue, Walshaw, Jones and one of Cosgrove, Tonks or Hales. That should provide a blend of experience and youth that could and should be allowed to settle. I'd also make Pryce captain - and I'm deadly serious - the responsibility might be the making of him.

I agree that Pryce should be made captain. He'd have to lead from example then.

Pardon me GOR, who is Rhodes?

I was there yesterday and found our first half game most entertaining with a useful kicking game and taking the ball to the defence. In the second period you could see we were not going to score with too much barging at their defence, nobody backing up and what passing game we did have was painfully slow. We do need to tackle the opposing players better; we struggle to bring a man down with no-one grabbing the legs and a team mate covering the ball. Time and again we heard shouts of ' Man and ball Dews' * Get the legs' (not just me here).

Pryce at full back? Well he had a useful kicking game; defensively he was no better or worse than anyone else who has played there; on attack, unfortunately, two or three times when he had the ball, there was encouragement for him to run, but he didn't!

I did look for the little things he does that others don't see and.....I didn't see them either.

What was the crowd CF

or was it a small gathering rather than a crowd ?

What was the crowd CF

or was it a small gathering rather than a crowd ?

According to Sporting Life, 467 at Sheffield.

it was announced as 467 Coolie. It looked like there were more people on the field with players, backroom staff, match officials, Eaglettes and their swan-thingy mascot than supporters watching. Big stadium like that and you could hear the players shouting!

I agree that Pryce should be made captain. He'd have to lead from example then.

The second he gets a better offer he'll be off.

The last thing Dewsbury need to do is offer him a captaincy.

Were all sideline coaches, but imo GM needs to get them all in training Monday evening and have them run to the moon and back. twice.

How's he going to get a better offer playing the way he is?

How's he going to get a better offer playing the way he is?

The boy can play Eddie.

We both know that.

But he never really stood out at Bradford or any of his other clubs. He was always 2nd best to his brother leon!

I'm glad i saved my monet now.

Le déjeuner sur l'herbe, peut-être?

Or water-lilies?

But he never really stood out at Bradford or any of his other clubs. He was always 2nd best to his brother leon!

Good point Eddie. He has always had massive potential but a long line of coaches have been unable to turn that into results. If he continues to be unworthy of a place then he should be dropped, assuming that we do have someone better to take his place.

When this does happen, however, who's fault will the next defeat be?

:unsure:

I'm glad i saved my monet now.

Le déjeuner sur l'herbe, peut-être?

Or water-lilies?

Something of a Red Arrows post SJS.                               B)