Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

the images from goldthorpe

130 posts in this topic

For those of you unsure of the meaning of the word 'barbaric', here is the definition from thefreedictionary.com:

bar·bar·ic  (bär-babreve.gifrprime.gifibreve.gifk)

adj.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of barbarians.
2. Marked by crudeness or lack of restraint in taste, style, or manner.

(http://www.thefreedictionary.com/barbaric)

I was using the word as per the definition at point 2.

I think some of the comments made on here about the people of Goldthorpe are disgusting. This is an area of  major social deprivation and those that are being sneered at here are struggling to make the best of that situation.

I come from St Helens: coalmining country where there was and still is a lot of bad feeling towards Thatcher.  However, nobody here had street parties to celebrate her death and nor did they burn an effigy.  There are areas of major social deprivation in St Helens too.

For those of you unsure of the meaning of the word 'barbaric', here is the definition from thefreedictionary.com:

adj.

you had to look it up?

so anything crude, lacking in restraint, short on style and taste is barbaric. Well that opens up a whole new catalogue of barbarism-including Thatcher's own funeral.

you had to look it up?

so anything crude, lacking in restraint, short on style and taste is barbaric. Well that opens up a whole new catalogue of barbarism-including Thatcher's own funeral.

Nope, I didn't.  I knew what the word meant.  It would seem some others did not, except in a narrow sense, and so I provided evidence of the word's meaning.  Had I not done so, no doubt you would have argued that I was wrong or hadn't provided evidence, etc, etc. 

If you think a stately occasion such as Thatcher's funeral was barbaric, which you didn't actually watch and so cannot judge as to its crudeness or any other aspect, then that is entirely up to you.  However, no effigies were burned and nobody danced in celebration of her death, not even the protestors, such as they were.

adj.

I was using the word as per the definition at point 2.

Would thatchers funeral be barbaric on the same budget the people of Goldthorpe had to make their effigy of Thatcher?

Nope, I didn't.  I knew what the word meant.  It would seem some others did not, except in a narrow sense, and so I provided evidence of the word's meaning.  Had I not done so, no doubt you would have argued that I was wrong or hadn't provided evidence, etc, etc. 

If you think a stately occasion such as Thatcher's funeral was barbaric, which you didn't actually watch and so cannot judge as to its crudeness or any other aspect, then that is entirely up to you.  However, no effigies were burned and nobody danced in celebration of her death, not even the protestors, such as they were.

Your wrong, they set fire to the one in Goldthorpe.

Would thatchers funeral be barbaric on the same budget the people of Goldthorpe had to make their effigy of Thatcher?

I don't think Thatcher's funeral was barbaric.  It was very dignified and respectful.  The choir was amazing, the readings were appropriate, the sermon was incredible and St Paul's was outstanding.

Your wrong, they set fire to the one in Goldthorpe.

Er yes, I know.  However, the protesters at the funeral - and the exchange of posts was about the funeral - did not burn an effigy.  They didn't even have one. 

I've just read today that when the cost is worked out the funeral will have only been a fraction of the 1o million pounds that has been bandied about!!!

Er yes, I know.  However, the protesters at the funeral - and the exchange of posts was about the funeral - did not burn an effigy.  They didn't even have one. 

it would have been illegal for several reasons from the point of view of public safety and public order.

L'angelo thank you for your comments, perhaps now is the time to let things calm down even though peoples opinions will remain.

L'angelo thank you for your comments, perhaps now is the time to let things calm down even though peoples opinions will remain.

thanks. I think you are right.

it would have been illegal for several reasons from the point of view of public safety and public order.

Burning it would have; carrying it wouldn't I shouldn't think since they carried banners.

I come from St Helens: coalmining country where there was and still is a lot of bad feeling towards Thatcher.  However, nobody here had street parties to celebrate her death and nor did they burn an effigy.  There are areas of major social deprivation in St Helens too.

I come from Featherstone where bad feeling towards Thatcher and social deprivation exist in a major way. As far as I'm aware there was no celebration that I'm aware of. people choose to do different things. Does this demonstration by a few people in Goldthorpe mark them out as somehow of a different make up to other places?

Does this demonstration by a few people in Goldthorpe mark them out as somehow of a different make up to other places?

No.  It just means those who were involved lack class and dignity.

Burning it would have; carrying it wouldn't I shouldn't think since they carried banners.

perhaps carrying a banner was more convenient you can furl it and unfurl it for instance

good grief

The choir was amazing, the readings were appropriate, the sermon was incredible and St Paul's was outstanding.

Sounds divine.....

perhaps carrying a banner was more convenient you can furl it and unfurl it for instance

good grief

Indeed. 

I don't think Thatcher's funeral was barbaric.  It was very dignified and respectful.  The choir was amazing, the readings were appropriate, the sermon was incredible and St Paul's was outstanding.

Very respectful, one soldier who was detailed to carry her box asked not to because he came from Doncaster mining stock, my source his dad.

For 10 million it should have been and when the final total of policing etc is added I bet it's nearer 15 million.

For gods sake!! Talk about deference!! Did you stand up and take your hat off while it was on?

For gods sake!! Talk about deference!! Did you stand up and take your hat off while it was on?

Oh dear.  I enjoyed watching the funeral (insofar as anyone can enjoy a funeral).  I like listening to choristers, I enjoy listening to a good sermon now and again, and St Paul's is an incredible cathedral.  What's deferential about that? 

For 10 million it should have been and when the final total of policing etc is added I bet it's nearer 15 million.

I think it was the Daily Mirror which first came up with that figure.  No audit has been done yet on the costs.  I will wait until it has and then listen out for the opposition to see if they agree that the sum announced is accurate.  In the meantime, I will remain sceptical about the various costs claimed by lefwingers.