Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

early vinyl memories

44 posts in this topic

was it the first single or album you ever bought or the battered 78s you used to pull from your parents stereogram,  what are your magic vinyl moments, for me - late 70s- double album- elvis 40 greatest hits, played it to death knowing every jump, scratch and mis heard lyric, or donovans singles on the blue and pink pye labels throwing out wonderous sounds as they span at 45rpm before been put back in to their thin paper sleeves that would seem to get more battered with each play- please contribute.

pink floyd "arnold lane" 1967. started me on a fantastic journey.

The first record I ever bought was It's Over by Roy Orbison. I was nine.

You'll be not at all surprised to know that I still have excellent taste.

;):D

Our oldest 45 is Will You Love Me Tomorrow by the Shirelles.  The earliest 78 I remember my parents buying was the Harry Lime Theme by Anton Karas.

This one's true - the first LP I bought was '7' by Madness. First single? Can't remember.

Have you watched the Ken Burns "Jazz" series?  It's been on the Beeb, but has recently been on PBS on Cable.

Have you watched the Ken Burns "Jazz" series?  It's been on the Beeb, but has recently been on PBS on Cable.

no, not seen that. Will have a look, though, thanks. 

My first vinyl album was Parallel Lines by Blondie.

I aint fessing to my first vinyl single as it's now embarrassing but I collected loads of the coloured vinyl singles.

First single would be either "Too Much Too Young" by The Specials or "Poison Ivy" by Lambrettas.

First album would probably be "Prince Charming" by Adam And The Ants.

It's a scientific fact that all men lie about the first record they bought.   

There's a reason for that.

In my case that reason was Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel. :blush:

The truth hurts.

(I was 13).

First record bought was a Little Richard EP with the tracks, Ready Teddy, Rip It Up, Long Tall Sally and Tutti Frutti. In all honesty in over 50 years I've struggled to better it.

First Single I ever bought was ********************************

No forget it, I have the mickey taken too much as it is.

Influence was my Dad's Jazz & Skiffle, plus his Opera recordings

First Album I bought would have been one by The Sweet (Sweet FA?)

Interesting thread idea.

My earliest recollection of "vinyl" is of discovering the wonderful breakability of the old 78s. My mum had a small collection stored in a wooden carrying case. My brother and I made shatteringly short work of it.

My earliest recollection of buying records was one birthday (I think I was ten and our kid was eight), when Auntie Jean treated us to a record each. Mine was a Shadows number (Wonderful World?) while Tom went for Twist and Shout, but was given the version by Brian Poole and the Tremelos instead of the Beatles' version, which was an EP. After a bout of sulking, Jean relented and got him the Beatles' version. I still remember the cost - 6/8d for the single, 10/6d for the EP.

My earliest album was almost certainly Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles. I remember being offered two versions - mono or stereo. I had no idea how these things worked, so I chose the mono version as we only had a small Dansette record player which only had one speaker.

Happy days!

I still remember the cost - 6/8d for the single, 10/6d for the EP.

Those prices seem very expensive - in the mid-1990s, when I built a large part of my CD collection I was usually paying 49p for a single with three tunes on it.

My first record was "Distant Sun" by Crowded House, which I bought on 7" vinyl from Woollies. I think that would have been about 50p.

On the subject of vinyl, I'd like to get a copy of Tracey Ullman's single "They don't know". If you play it at 33rpm instead of 45rpm it sounds like a very good version of Dusty Springfield singing it!

Those prices seem very expensive - in the mid-1990s, when I built a large part of my CD collection I was usually paying 49p for a single with three tunes on it.

My first record was "Distant Sun" by Crowded House, which I bought on 7" vinyl from Woollies. I think that would have been about 50p.

On the subject of vinyl, I'd like to get a copy of Tracey Ullman's single "They don't know". If you play it at 33rpm instead of 45rpm it sounds like a very good version of Dusty Springfield singing it!

I'm 100% confident of the 6/8d, and about 95% confident of the 10/6d. You didn't get discounted prices in the early-mid 60s, but you did in the 90s. 6/8d equates to 33p, so 49p would represent a 50% increase over 30 years, which doesn't seem unrealistic. If the prices seem high, then it just reinforces my gratitude to Jean - she really did have to dig deep for the extra 3/10d for Tom's EP.

I'd like to hear Tracey Ullman sounding like Dusty. Can't that sort of thing be done digitally these days? You sure it's not on the internet somewhere?

I'm 100% confident of the 6/8d, and about 95% confident of the 10/6d. You didn't get discounted prices in the early-mid 60s, but you did in the 90s. 6/8d equates to 33p, so 49p would represent a 50% increase over 30 years, which doesn't seem unrealistic. If the prices seem high, then it just reinforces my gratitude to Jean - she really did have to dig deep for the extra 3/10d for Tom's EP.

I'd like to hear Tracey Ullman sounding like Dusty. Can't that sort of thing be done digitally these days? You sure it's not on the internet somewhere?

It can be done digitally; if you use something like Audacity, there's an option to do the equivalent of a speed change.

The prices sound about right to me but I'll ask my mrs.

They were posh. They had a record player and a telephone.

When Tracy Ullman was with Stiff Records the man in charge would not release They Don't Know until they could get the run time to under 3 minutes, instead of re-recording it they just speeded it up. That's why she sounded a bit like pinky and perky on the record.