Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keith T

Play the Ball Markers

4 posts in this topic

Whilst watching the Aussie v NZ match today I kept noticing that the markers at play the balls from both sides were very rarely square but never once did they get pulled up for it.   There were times when one marker was square and pointing the way he was going and the other marker was stood to the other side of him but behind him.

This stopped a lot of quick play from the acting halfbacks and I wondered why do we have two markers?    If only one marker was allowed the other player would have to get back the 10 metres in to the defensive line.

Whilst watching the Aussie v NZ match today I kept noticing that the markers at play the balls from both sides were very rarely square but never once did they get pulled up for it.   There were times when one marker was square and pointing the way he was going and the other marker was stood to the other side of him but behind him.

This stopped a lot of quick play from the acting halfbacks and I wondered why do we have two markers?    If only one marker was allowed the other player would have to get back the 10 metres in to the defensive line.

Blame the ref not the rules.

Been watching a fair bit of academy u19s rugby this season . I have noticed quite a few teams are stepping forward into the square marker when playing the ball a, few of the refs have penalised it but not many , it usually ends up with a penalty for the attacking team